Rotax 582 engine de-coke

Hi there,

I fly a microlight equipped with a 582cc Rotax (grey top) motor, The engine has done 280 hrs and still runs like a swiss clock. I would like to ask if anyone knows when to do an engine "de-coke/de-carbon" servicing and whether if it's really paramount to do so, any warning signs and what is exactly involved if so. I can't find any information in my Rotax engine manual. Any comments/opinions would be greatly appreciated by you all.

thanks in advance

Dennis

Carbon build-up.

Sometimes there is practically no build up. If you are concerned, remove the exhaust system and plugs and inspect with a torch and a small angled mirror. You will get a good look at the pistons and bores as well.. Nev..

Dennis

There's a schedule in the maintenance manual (P10-2) which lists checking clearances/wear on pistons, cylinders and rings every 150hrs, 100 if in dusty conditions. If checks through the exhaust port don't indicate a significant build up before this I'd think this would be an appropriate opportunity.

When I bought my Super Pup, the engine (582 grey) had 250 hrs on it, I did a top end OH about 10 hrs later and found a significant carbon build up.

I've seen this job done in-situ at the field but when I did my engine I lifted it out and took it home so I could do the work with everything handy in the workshop. In my case I think having the tools etc to hand made up for the few minutes it took to lift out and replace the engine. Either way I didn't find it a particularly difficult job, as long as you have the right guidance if you don't already have the knowledge yourself.

BTW There's a book called the 'Repair Manual for 462-532-582 UL' which I found useful but I haven't been able to find it as a Rotax download anywhere. If you need guidance and you don't have anyone to hand, try to get a copy of that.

Mark

thanks Mike and all

Thanks Mike & all,

the information you've provided me is extremely useful. I'm a typical electrician that doesn't like touching mechanical stuff:laugh: but this seems like a very simple task.

thanks again

Dennis

When you have looked at the bores through the ports, have a look at the rings. It should be possible to see them just move in relation to the piston, as ypo rock it up and down. Look for a slight oozing of oil at the top and bottom of the rings, that would indicate that they are not sticking.

If you have any doubts it is not too big a job to remove the bores and fit new rings, hone the bores, and do the de carbonising of the piston. You will then have an engine with a good life expectancy. Get someone who knows the engine to help you and read up about it as suggested by methusela.