Why do people spoil things?

derekliston

I drove out to the airstrip at Willowbank for the advertised Spitfire fly-in yesterday only to find it had been cancelled. Why! the council had banned it. Why! 2 neighbours had objected. For Goodness Sakes, they live under the take off run from Amberley, with the noise the Super Hornets kick up how can they complain about a fly-in?

• Like 3

The 2 neighbors must have had some 'weight' with the council unless there are only 2 or 3 neighbors there. The bottom line is that people are xxxxx these days. They move to the country then complain the cows moo too loudly. They call you racist for not wanting Australia to turn into a toilet like the UK. They call you names and abuse you because they aren't getting their way. Vote me in as King Kevin and things will change in a lighting flash.

• Like 5

I think the growth of the ignorant pxxxxks is in direct proportion to the problems the world is experiencing... sadly they seem to be in the majority. Most surprisingly they have been convinced by their narrow minded attitudes that somehow their lifestyle is under threat. Truly bizarre situation the world has come to.

• Like 2

Hello Derek, with regards to Willowbank, I believe there is more behind the cancellation than some of us may know.

BUT - GOOD NEWS!!!!

Brian Scoffell will be holding the Spitfire Fly-In at Boonah instead!!!!!!

WOO HOO!!!!!

Heaps of interesting aircraft here at Boonah now too with Nigel Arnot's operation in full swing, looks like its going to be a great event.

All I know at this stage is that it should be in October some time so I will try and keep you posted if you wish......

Cheers

DAvid Mason

• Like 1

Hello Derek, with regards to Willowbank, I believe there is more behind the cancellation than some of us may know.BUT - GOOD NEWS!!!!

WOO HOO!!!!!

Heaps of interesting aircraft here at Boonah now too with Nigel Arnot's operation in full swing, looks like its going to be a great event.

All I know at this stage is that it should be in October some time so I will try and keep you posted if you wish......

Cheers

DAvid Mason

Thanks David, I'd appreciate that.

I drove out to the airstrip at Willowbank for the advertised Spitfire fly-in yesterday only to find it had been cancelled. Why! the council had banned it. Why! 2 neighbours had objected. For Goodness Sakes, they live under the take off run from Amberley, with the noise the Super Hornets kick up how can they complain about a fly-in?

I was also out there looking at the possibility of keeping and operating my CH701 there when I finish it but maybe not a good idea with neighbours like that. Does anyone know of any strips close to Karalee (10klms N of Ipswich) which would welcome another aeroplane and with reasonably priced hangarage.
  • Like 2

I have some elderly folk out from overseas and have just returned from a drive from Brissy, to Warwick to Toowoomba and back to Brissy. I use these drive as an excuse to pop into any airfields along the way. Today it was only Warwick and Toowoomba. The sum total of the action at both was nothing, nada, niks. Folks if we want things to happen we must make it happen. With the lack of interest in aviation I see I am not suprised it is easy for 2 neighbours to get an event cancelled. Toowoomba is a great airfield with more than enough facilities for rec A/C but I could find nothing happening. My home base is Archerfield, again nothing, you can,t even buy a Coke unless you can get airside and then from a vending machine. We should have a returant/coffee shop for both spectators and pilots at airfields the size of Archerfield and Toowoomba. We need to attract people to these airfields not hide ourselves from the world behind high security fences. Also make it more affordable where we can, I recently enquired about hireing a RA aircraft from a local school and was told that as I had a Pilot Cert and PPL and an endorsment on a similar A/C, I would have to join the local aero club first, $1000-00, before I could fly this A/C. Remember in this case the A/C does not belong to the Aero Club in question. Now I understand the Aero Club needs to make someting out of this and would understand if they owned or were managing the operation of this A/C. Surley a levy on the hire & fly rate for non members would be bit more understandable. Again 3 people I know of have taken there business elswhere. I sometimes get the idea that some of us do not want to share this great hobby/past time we have. I have heard of Aero Clubs charging outrages enty fees as they do not want to many members, but complain when they get walked over because they do not have the numbers to back them. I have had a pax refused the use of a toilet from a flying school at Archerfield, that is 1 way of attracting business!

Folks I have seen what I am talking about work overseas, we need to welcome people in not push them away, we need to let people into our hangars and let them see what we do not hide them on private strips under trees. I know it is a lot of work but if we attact more in, the work gets less. Hell in the Brissy area we have 1 breakfast flyin a month and those that attend will agree what great outing it is. A quick hop and a jump to Straddie and you have had your "fix", we should be able to do that every week end. Look at the Watts Bridge events, yes some are bigger & better than others but a quick jump over, brekky or lunch, have look at the A/C and home again, I can think of worse things to do on a weekend. Is this not what recreational flying is all about, never mind if we do it in RA or GA A/C.

If I am wrong please tell me!!

My 2c worth

• Like 5

They complain because they are wankers.

• Like 6

Hello Derek, with regards to Willowbank, I believe there is more behind the cancellation than some of us may know.BUT - GOOD NEWS!!!!

WOO HOO!!!!!

Cheers

DAvid Mason

I realy hope that I am home and not out in the western Darling Downs (work) . I would love to be there for it.

• Like 1

I don't think people need to have a cafe on the airfield to enjoy the airfield, my new girlfriend(now wife of twenty five years) and I used to buy KFC at Wilstonton and watch Darling Downs Aero Club tomahawks circuiting for hours when we first started going out. The weather wasn't that great for flying this weekend maybe, so it wasn't happening, we were all at Monto anyway, they may have just made good PIC decisions and stayed on the ground.

• Like 2

The whole of aviation has gone that way, as a kid in Scotland I used to ride my bike out to Turnhouse (Edinburgh) Airport and sit for hours on the outdoor balcony watching the comings and goings. Back then there wasn't that much, mainly airforce chipmunks flying circuits, airwork Mosquitoes and Seahawks and very occasionally an airliner. When the airline crews came through the terminal we used to accost them with"Hey mister, can we have a look through your aeroplane?" invariably they were happy to oblige and we had conducted tours through, Dakota, Viscount, Vanguard and Friendship among others. In that way a lifetime interest in aviation was born. Can you imagine any way in which that could happen now? I agree we have to get more people, especially young people interested in our sport and regular fly-ins with the public welcome is probably the best way to go especially if one can introduce people to the joys of flight. I have taken many people for a first flight or first light aircraft flight with mostly favourable results.

• Like 5

The 2 neighbors must have had some 'weight' with the council unless there are only 2 or 3 neighbors there. The bottom line is that people are xxxxx these days. They move to the country then complain the cows moo too loudly. They call you racist for not wanting Australia to turn into a toilet like the UK. They call you names and abuse you because they aren't getting their way. Vote me in as King Kevin and things will change in a lighting flash.

Unfortunately, these days, governments cowtow to noisy, but highly organised minorities. I think this is because, since both sides of politics are indistinguishable from each other, the votes are usually close now. So the pollies mindset is, "every vote counts". What we (the silent majority) have to do is organise and lobby.

Talking to a fellow yesterday from Canberra. Apparently the light planes have been forced out. I would guess the big operators would have had a say in that.

Not necessarily true - RA-Aus planes out primarily due to Canberra being controlled airspace. There are a couple of RA-Aus registered planes kept down there where the pilots/planes meet the requirements. One guy has just done his conversion with Goulburn Aviation and now has his J230 parked down there under covers. GA still alive and well with the flying school quite busy. Lack of hangerage is the only drawback to the Canberra life - the airport is in quite a good location in regards to access to the rest of Canberra so land around there is worth an absolute fortune unfortunately... That said the airport has provided and maintains a very nice little building solely for the GA pilots and passengers with toilets, seats and a brilliant viewing deck.

Not necessarily true - RA-Aus planes out primarily due to Canberra being controlled airspace. There are a couple of RA-Aus registered planes kept down there where the pilots/planes meet the requirements. One guy has just done his conversion with Goulburn Aviation and now has his J230 parked down there under covers. GA still alive and well with the flying school quite busy. Lack of hangerage is the only drawback to the Canberra life - the airport is in quite a good location in regards to access to the rest of Canberra so land around there is worth an absolute fortune unfortunately... That said the airport has provided and maintains a very nice little building solely for the GA pilots and passengers with toilets, seats and a brilliant viewing deck.

These airports have grown... In my experience Recreational Flying and RPT don't really mix well. Ultralights and Boeings never have so I don't know why when given that we fly "Ultralights" we should complain when we are asked to make room for the commercial operators.

An alternative is a better option for all users... Sadly the funding for this should come from the sale of these assets but hasn't... I don't like it but sadly airports all over Australia have been Privatized and are now in the Airline Business so it is unlikely to turn around. Who owns Canberra Airport?

Canberra airport owned by Terry Snow and managed by his son Stephen Byron.

Personally i blame the lack of people to get together in happy and harmonious :"clubs" nowadays rather than the commercial operators. Flying clubs should be forming to own and maintain airports for recreational users. Not much different to Golf Clubs or Tennis Clubs really - if a decent club formed there's a very good chance of applying to the Crown or a local Council for the use of some of their land. Not much chance with the ego-laden world of aviation in my view though...

• Like 3

Canberra airport owned by Terry Snow and managed by his son Stephen Byron.Personally i blame the lack of people to get together in happy and harmonious :"clubs" nowadays rather than the commercial operators. Flying clubs should be forming to own and maintain airports for recreational users. Not much different to Golf Clubs or Tennis Clubs really - if a decent club formed there's a very good chance of applying to the Crown or a local Council for the use of some of their land. Not much chance with the ego-laden world of aviation in my view though...

Something that has struck me ever since I've lived in Australia. The UK had an abundance of "Flying Clubs" apart from (I think) fairly elitist organisations like The Royal Queensland Aeroclub everything here seemed to be "Flying Schools" read commercial, not much social activity. One exception was Lockyer Valley Flying Club at Gatton but I believe the Uni has now shut down the strip. There may be more but if there are they don't seem to advertise. We do need something for those of us who fly because we love it rather than because we are rich (I might take some flak over that statement but in my experience that is pretty much the way we are divided) Anyone with some entrepreneurial talent ought to be able to organise a good club.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

to me - an aero club (or a club of flyers) is a great way to promote aviaiton

if outsiders can see a successful club - there is a fair chance outsiders they will then get interested - this must be good

in all organisations there is the political side - you don't have to get interested in that part of it ........... if you don't want to

If I look back at my old aero club (1/2 a lifetime ago) - yes they probably had more comraderie - but that was probably because of no internet (and facebook) - you actually met people face to face (not thru a puta)

The concept of the club is the best way to go - you can't take a computer with you flying (mind you all the gadgets these days - that last statement might not be true)

I agree with 68volksy - a Council should support an aero club - its part of the community. If a club can establish good ties at a local airport then the asset is more secure for flyers (and visiting flyers)

If you don't .......................... support your local club and at least show your face around the perimeter of the building - become more socail for the sake of aviation

if there is no club where you are flying - START ONE - NOW !

in all organisations there is the political side - you don't have to get interested in that part of it ........... if you don't want to

+1 to that! I've seen politics spoil several clubs. Unfortunately whether you want to get involved in the politics or not, when the big egos start pushing in, things start going downhill. I saw two clubs fall victim to the power plays of people with oversized egos. In both organisations, the management of the club descended into turf squabbles that effectively paralysed the club. It all had to do with personal power, not what was good for the club.

Why do people spoil things?

...support your local club and at least show your face around the perimeter of the building - become more socail for the sake of aviationif there is no club where you are flying - START ONE - NOW !

Quirindi Aero Club is up and running, new members welcome!

No thanks on the aero club, personally - not unless its got something for me in it.

I meet, know and get along with most people out at 'the field' and always have a good chat on the occasions we bump into each other.

What I don't want is any more hierarchy or costs for my aviation pleasures - if there was, say, a membership cost it had better be for funding of the premises and basic rights such as landings etc only. That would be fair, but of course probably also very expensive if the membership numbers were low.

Personally? Leave me to it. I'll see you either in the hangar or in the air.

- boingk

• Like 1

It can be the egos ................ also, however, some people see this fantastic asset - a beautiful big hunk of green grass and a good club operation .......... it can go dowhill from there

power to all club members

Won't be long before we'll need the clubs again in order to have somewhere to fly from. It's already starting to happen with the shutting of Hoxton Park and the difficulties at Bankstown spawning more interest in Mittagong and the Oaks which are both club-run. Also Forbes is club-run.

Goulburn looking more and more inhospitable. Now paying parking fees of $6/day if you dare park on the grass and not in the hanger and landing fees for the school going from $700 per annum to over $16,000... They're forced to pass the increased costs on so it's the students and guys hiring the planes that really suffer.

Unfortunately it seems the only option to secure a flying future in the region is to try and find a club/community title structure that actually works and then head towards funding our own field. At least with the $16,000 per annum minimum we're looking to collect off students/hirers it makes the budgeting process a little easier (at least we know the loan we can afford!)...

68 volksy - this is not the voice of experience .............. but they say debt (a loan) for a club - can be a killer

you may have no choice but to loan

are there no local Council run airstrips you can establish to ? - or are you to close to the big smoke (the big city)