Aeropup Australia

AzharFly

Aeropup (SA) was sold to someone who started building them at Gympie,he had some fuse's build-up in his hanger when i visited.

He was advertising them in USD with if i recall correctly the Camit engine included.What became of it i don't know,

cheers

colin

• 2 weeks later...

I have sent an email to Rollo which I got from a Spanish Aeropup site who host an active website.

Not sure if Rollo is still in operation. Anyway time will tell...

Azhar

Hi AzharFly

Aeropup Mk4 are yes being built in Gympie,

Currently there is no Supapups being sold or built as this aircraft is not supported by Aeropup.

I am a distributor for Aeropup in Australia and can help you if have any questions.

Easiest thing to do is shoot me an email with your name/phone number/email etc ..  to westernaerosolutions **at**  iinet.net.au

Or a message through Facebook through my Western Aero Solutions business page.

Best regards

Ben Jones

Western Aero Solutions.

Aeropup sales, Aeropup parts, Fallshaw wheel, and Glance EFIS agent.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Must be still making them. As I met this gentleman Im sure at a Gympie fly in breakfast in Febuary

Yes, Rollo at Gympie is building them, visited him a month ago and he was working on kits etc. I did buy a s/h Aeropup from him, which he is doing work on it for me.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Jackc or AzharFly,

Did anyone make contact with Rollo?

If so is he still in business?

I've got an Aeropup I started about 15 years ago, but never finished.

There were parts missing from the kit when I started, and even more parts missing after all these years.

Now I have time I would like to finish the project, but need a few bits to carry on.

On 08/11/2020 at 4:03 PM, Dr Bob said:

Jackc or AzharFly,

Did anyone make contact with Rollo?

If so is he still in business?

I've got an Aeropup I started about 15 years ago, but never finished.

There were parts missing from the kit when I started, and even more parts missing after all these years.

Now I have time I would like to finish the project, but need a few bits to carry on.

Yes, he is operating at Gympie and is doing the C of A on my aircraft, I will be seeing him probably next week.

• 1 year later...

I see that the Aussie Aeropup is now being made in the USA:

Fielden Aero • Home of Aeropup USA USA

https://www.fieldenaero.com/

Brochure:

https://www.fieldenaero.com/_files/ugd/f1dfaa_21e0c50e0ded415f8dc6985008ef0e64.pdf

This is an interesting posted comment on the YouTube video above:

I think this is the right way to go. A solid platform designed for easy maintenance ("easy" means it'll be more likely to get done on time, translating to safety). A design that trades a couple extra pounds and a little extra drag for safety, durability, maintainability, utility, and economy....without exotic materials or technology at its core. Steele is strong, durable, can absorb a lot of energy when it's being deformed, and will often bitch loudly to anyone paying attention when it's failing (i.e. doesn't tend to fail catastrophically). Adding a smart flight adjustable prop and pairing it with a modern engine, fuel injection, and (redundant) ignition and engine management firmware makes good sense (IMHO) as it is now well proven to be reliable and performant. It also allows for data recording which can be used to spot trends, and help diagnose issues and potential issues. Leveraging modern electronics for trim servos, navigation, and to help with awareness and simplify the pilot's workload is another great move.
There isn't a replacement for proficiency, but amateur pilot's (for the most part) will always lack the skills and proficiency of professional pilots (yet we all want to build and fly an F-18 or a Warthog). Making an aircraft that builds in a fare amount of safety margin, remains approachable in multiple aspects (costs, maintenance, storage, etc), and provides utility beyond the $100 hamburger seems a more comfortable and obtainable dream.
Regarding proficiency... I like to ride motorcycles, which is viewed by many as a risky activity. In fact, a motorcyclist is at risk of serious injury at a rate of 25 time greater that car drivers. Therefore I try to ride every day (here in the Atlanta Metro area), to maintain proficiency. So far (and knock on wood), it seems to work. This is how I manage the risk.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

The others on the road are a motorcyclists unknown. The usual excuse is "I didn't SEE you". . At least in the air you are much more in charge of the safety yourself. Your "risk averseness" is up to you.. Fly within your planes capability and your own or one day you will find out the hard way. Do self set exercises that  require  good coordination at safe heights and clear for other traffic each time.  There's a lot more to flying than a squeeky landing with the occasional "Gee I don't know what happened there". Hope no one saw that.  Nev

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, onetrack said:

So ... can you still buy an Australian-made Aeropup kit? - or has manufacturing moved completely to the U.S.?

I'm not sure but if the earlier posts in this thread still apply it looks like you can.  I wonder if they're still being made in Gympie.

• 1 year later...

What has happened to Rollo McKinleys Aeropup manufacturing operations? Have they ceased for good?

I sighted a news article in a Gympie media publication (behind a paywall) from Oct 2023, indicating that the McKinleys had been involved in a lease dispute on their Aeropup manufacturing facility at Kybong.

I believe there has been a long running dispute over ever-increasing council rents for Kybong aerodrome and land, with lessees complaining they're getting nothing from the local council for the massive rents imposed on them.

GYMPIETODAY.COM.AU

Gympie Regional Council has shot down an export aircraft manufacturing business at Kybong aerodrome, after a lease dispute with the [...]

• Informative 1