New panel

metalman

I've started the test flying on my experimental Kitfox type, I discovered after flying it there's a a few things I'd do differently ,stuff that doesn't show up till you have to actually sit in it and use everything, so here's my panel mark 2 ,I'm going to experiment with carbon fibre and will get it cnc router cut. Just thought I'd share where I'm up to with it, and it really is a sweet aircraft , I've got a few hours in a Eurofox and when I've got a bit more time in the Skywolf ( yeh that's its name ) I'll do a bit of a comparison

image.jpg.ce3324336f19faebb1751e2a44df250e.jpg

image.jpg.40ffd56484bb5205f45834b75875cfee.jpg

• Like 2

I've started the test flying on my experimental Kitfox type, I discovered after flying it there's a a few things I'd do differently ,stuff that doesn't show up till you have to actually sit in it and use everything, so here's my panel mark 2 ,I'm going to experiment with carbon fibre and will get it cnc router cut. Just thought I'd share where I'm up to with it, and it really is a sweet aircraft , I've got a few hours in a Eurofox and when I've got a bit more time in the Skywolf ( yeh that's its name ) I'll do a bit of a comparison[ATTACH]21486[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]21487[/ATTACH]

Keep us posted on developments MM!

I've started the test flying on my experimental Kitfox type, I discovered after flying it there's a a few things I'd do differently ,stuff that doesn't show up till you have to actually sit in it and use everything, so here's my panel mark 2 ,I'm going to experiment with carbon fibre and will get it cnc router cut. Just thought I'd share where I'm up to with it, and it really is a sweet aircraft , I've got a few hours in a Eurofox and when I've got a bit more time in the Skywolf ( yeh that's its name ) I'll do a bit of a comparison[ATTACH]21486[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]21487[/ATTACH]

That new layout looks pretty good. It is similar to mine which is patterned after the Beechcraft Baron. When I laid out my panel, I used that layout because I was familiar with it from my flight sim. I also figured Beechcraft probably spent a fair bit of money and time researching the layout.

That new layout looks pretty good. It is similar to mine which is patterned after the Beechcraft Baron. When I laid out my panel, I used that layout because I was familiar with it from my flight sim. I also figured Beechcraft probably spent a fair bit of money and time researching the layout.

I haven't actually based it on anything but I guess after flying it and seeing the things that need changing it'll end up being similar to other aircraft ,humans are all pretty much similar after all.

I'm making a few bits out of carbon fibre to try and get the weight down a bit too, hopefully get it down under 300kg (320 ATM), aswell as working on my fat ar5e !

Guest Howard Hughes
It is similar to mine which is patterned after the Beechcraft Baron. When I laid out my panel, I used that layout because I was familiar with it from my flight sim. I also figured Beechcraft probably spent a fair bit of money and time researching the layout.

Having flown Beech's for a long time and with most of their types having sprung out of the 50's and 60's, I don't know that they are the leaders of ergonomic design. But if it's your own aircraft then having something that you are comfortable with is half the battle!

I've started the test flying on my experimental Kitfox type, I discovered after flying it there's a a few things I'd do differently ,stuff that doesn't show up till you have to actually sit in it and use everything, so here's my panel mark 2 ,I'm going to experiment with carbon fibre and will get it cnc router cut. Just thought I'd share where I'm up to with it, and it really is a sweet aircraft , I've got a few hours in a Eurofox and when I've got a bit more time in the Skywolf ( yeh that's its name ) I'll do a bit of a comparison[ATTACH]21487[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]21488[/ATTACH]

I like the fact that you have allowed for a storage space on the dashboard. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

This thing does not feature very often in light aircraft that often don't have door pockets either.

Having flown Beech's for a long time and with most of their types having sprung out of the 50's and 60's, I don't know that they are the leaders of ergonomic design. But if it's your own aircraft then having something that you are comfortable with is half the battle!

Didn't they have a few gear up issues partly because of the gear switch being located near the flap switch ?075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

Guest Howard Hughes
Didn't they have a few gear up issues partly because of the gear switch being located near the flap switch ?075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

In older Beech's, flap/gear selectors were the opposite of what the other aircraft manufacturers were doing!

Earlier model Barons have the throttles in the middle of the quadrant, with prop levers to the left and mixture on the right! 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

I like the fact that you have allowed for a storage space on the dashboard. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifThis thing does not feature very often in light aircraft that often don't have door pockets either.

The eurofox has one, really handy for putting phones and stuff that you need in flight, the RV's have provision for one aswell , very handy

• 1 month later...
Guest Maj Millard

Skywolf ...I love it, so what rego so you can mess with it like that, looks like longer wing ?...and bigger donk ?....Nice to have a panel that you can live with thats real pleasure. i've got the Lightwing to the point now where i really love where everything is..........................................Maj...004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Skywolf ...I love it, so what rego so you can mess with it like that, looks like longer wing ?...and bigger donk ?....Nice to have a panel that you can live with thats real pleasure. i've got the Lightwing to the point now where i really love where everything is..........................................Maj...004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Reg is VH experimental, 100hp rotax, got the carbon fibre panel back from the Waterjet cutters, just gotta wait for a run of bad WX before I pull it part again

Yeh Kaz, always had trouble with wheelers so I made it my first choice for all landings ,can still manage to look like I'm pre solo at times but generally do okay, the plane makes me look good I think, they really are a nice jigger!

Guest Maj Millard

I've got a few guages in excess atm, some new some used but ok...let me know if you need anything....... .......Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I'm keen to get a fuel flow instrument , other than that I had a turn co-ordinater that'll get the flick and I'll just have a balance ball instead, I don't really care if I'm doing a rate one turn, it'll give me a bit more room for stuff I really want

Guest Maj Millard

Yes nice little cruise around there MM, and a damn nice landing. whats the square thing at center panel..........................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Why keep the balance ball?

Mmm, are you baiting me DP,,,,I have a pretty insensitive ass, the little ball helps me fly in balance!

A GPS at the top and an Icom & txp Maj, although a mate who has a lot of Skyfox hours reckons if I ever feel a bit lost just look over my shoulder and I'll see where I started from,,,,he also calls them a really nice point A to point A aircraft,,,,,flys an RV7 now ,smart ass!

I'm planning a trip later in the year up to Longreach via AUSFLY and then back coastal so I'll call into YHBA to prove they can cross ground ground faster than the earth turns.

Heading to Kyneton next weekend Kaz?

Ill be there. Robb Scott, Transaero, is going to do a few jobs on the Auster. One of my bungees is going soft, I have TW new tres to fit, and there is a crack in the cowl to repair. It's his partner, Kim, who organises the Big Morning Tea fundraiser for cancer.

I just bought a house in Shepp at Kialla Lakes... Very nice but not the farm I dreamed about. Decided its a bit silly to try and work a full time job and keep a farm and fly... Sigh

Kaz

Always liked the looks of Kitfox since they first came out. However have heard stories of questionable handling and worries about structural strength, particularly with regard to the wings. Are these criticisms unfounded? Or are there issues that have been sorted with the design? By the looks of the video its a great little a/c!

Nope Maj , good old Garmin 495,

As for the handling , I'd heard all the rumours as well, do a bit of research , like I did , most the failures come down to misuse or maintenance , which is standard for any aircraft, if you do things you shouldn't or don't do things you should then they will bite you.

As for the handling , in the air it's as sweet as, nicely balanced , once set up in a turn its hands off and it'll hold bank, its a true stick and rudder aircraft so sleepy feet won't do.

Takeoff is fine , it needs a bit of a push to get the tail up and rotate pretty quick after that, landings are normal tail dragger , I've been wheeling it I and it works fine , I've try a couple of three pointers but I'll need to put a bit more time into them to get the picture right , one thing I've noticed , last week I was doing some circuits with a pretty stiff crosswind , as I settled the tail as started putting into wind aileron the wing on the lee side started to fly again , it happened twice , I think that those big flaperons will pick up a wing with very little airflow , any suggestions though I'm listening.

I found it very easy to get a handle on it , if have time in RV's , C185, eurofox and DH82a and decathalons so the tail dragger thing was a big issue, to be honest I love the type , they make good pilots , fly nicely and side slip like nothing else

Cheers