Advice on hiring out my aircraft

Kiter

Last year I purchased a VH-registered Brumby 600 which is hangered at YTDN.

When I am in Melbourne, I fly it once or twice a week, but it's likely I will be away for several months this year, so I am thinking of making the aircraft available for hire.

I am hesitant about making it available for training (although haven't ruled that out), and have no idea of the tips and traps of doing this, so I'm hoping the Recreational flying brains trust may have some advice.

I rented out my first aircraft, it cost me a fortune in damages cleaning etc.  My Mooney was only ever flown by me when I owned it.  I am so glad that I did not rent it.  Same with my house when I rented it out.  Only once!

1. Any money generated from rentals will be sucked up into paying for higher insurance costs if the aircraft is going to be used for training; paying for the scheduled maintenance which is based on hours operated; unscheduled maintenance as a result of normal wear and tear; accident damage which is hopefully restricted to replacing flat-spotted tyres.

2. The amount of usage won't be anywhere near what was estimated by the mob who are going to put the aircraft on line because they will want their own planes earning money before yours does.

3. Nobody treats any rental vehicle - car, boat or plane - as if it was their own.

These are the unhappy truths. You are to be applauded by making your aircraft available to others, but if you want to see it used more, search out a few people who you think you could trust to look after the aircraft, and offer usage to them.

However, before you let anyone hire it, write up a strict, and I mean very strict, set of conditions of use which deal with the care of the aircraft and its equipment. Include a direction that any and all damage, breakages, equipment failures must be documented in a damages register and the record is held by the mob who is minding the keys for you. If you want a guide to how to record the condition of the aircraft before and after a rental, go scrounge a copy of a vehicle hire record from a mob like Hertz.

• Agree 2

I'd put inhibitor in the cylinders, lubricate everything, drain & seal the tanks, put some damp rid in the cabin, seal all the orifices, put a cover over the entire plane if you can & forget hiring. This will provide no income while still paying hangar rent but peace of mind and an aircraft ready to fly when you get back.

• Agree 2

I concur will all of the above.

I did it once. It never lived up to the promises, cost more than I ever made (x 10), and the phone call telling me "we've crashed your plane, you'll need to come and get it out of the paddock" could only have been worse if they had killed someone in it.

• Like 1

forget hiring. This will provide no income while still paying hangar rent but peace of mind and an aircraft ready to fly when you get back.

If the plane is not going to be used for a few months, why don't you see if someone with their own strip not far out of Melbourne will let you park the plane there for the time being. I'm sure a slab would be a lot cheaper than forking out for hangarage.