VTE-HAN QV ATR72

Guest vh-tqp

Not the everyday trip report for me, I won't even bother with 2 sectors BNE-SIN-BKK on SQ 772's.

Vientiane - Hanoi Air Lao (QV) QV312 ATR 72

Vientiane (capital of Laos)

When we drove past the airport yesterday, saw some interesting Russian stuff, managed to get some photos, don't know if it was allowed. I'll have to get an ID on them, but it apperred to have 2 huge engines (1 each side) either forward of the wings on the fuselage, or buried in the wings at the roots against the fuselage. Also saw a AN 12 (I think), the world's largest single engined biplane (there's at least one in Australia).

Also saw some Chinese Mu 12's best described as looking like a Twin Otter, perhaps a Twin Otterski, or maybe a Win ota.

Unfortunately I flew on something a bit more mundane, but at least Air Lao comes with a travel advisory from the Aust govt citing maintenance concerns. At least, being european, they can get parts for this easily.

Boarded at 7:15 for scheduled 7:45 departure, as soon as we were all on (about 25 pax, or 1/3 full), engines started and we were off, all before 7:30. We had the briefest safety briefing, i think they showed where the exits were and told you to read the card. No card to read. I asked for some postcards and playing cards, he almost laughed, not on this airline, but he took my card up the cockpit to see if could go up there. Didn't happen. Oh well, 2 Air Lao vomit bags and an inflight magazine.

The ATR is similar configuration (twin turboprop, high wing, but the main u/c is faired into the fuselage like a C130) to the Dash-8 or F27 which I'm known to love.

It's probably a low cost asian version, seats are bit flimsy, and not sure if it should have more exits.

2 cabin crew served a breakfast of tuna bun, 2 bits of fruit, 2 biscuits and beverage (water and pepsi).

I figured they didn't worry too much about bags, just left mine in front of the spare seat. No one came through saying "under the seat in front of you".

No point hanging around i guess, i think we were faster than scheduled flight time too, we were landed, on the ground, through immigration and customs etc all before the scheduled landing time!

Some more Russian heavy metal at the Hanoi end, again I couldn't ID it, but no doubt either AN, Tu or Il. Will check them out later.

Thanks for flying Air Lao, we hope you enjoyed your trip and look forward to you flying with us again.

• 4 months later...
Guest WillMikoyan

Those soviet aircraft with the engines up high are Antonov An-72s, they were originally meant to be replacements for the An-26, but is now mostly used for commercial freight, they are STOL aircraft.

One interesting thing about them is that they use the coanda effect by blowing exhaust gases from the engine over the wings top surface to increase lift, which explains the location of the engines...

(Can you tell I like Russian Aircraft :D )