Garmin PDA & GPS

Guest Graeme

Guest Graeme

Hi guys,as a new kid on the block I have gone back through previous posts and noticed one about the use of PDA's as a GPS. I have just purchase the knew Garmin iQue 3600a and am learning my way around the buttons, programs etc. It has a beautiful crisp colour screen and reasonably user friendly functions including its own aviation dock for flight use. For anyone whose looking to purchase a colour GPS, I seriously believe this is acost effectiveoption that doubles as a PDA. I serioiusly looked at the 296 but its bulk and price tag put me off. Considering the iQue has the sameJeppeson data base as the 296 at this point I would recommend it for anyone whose going to colour.

Cheers

Guest Graeme

G'day Peter, Im still settling into mine and as my plane is still off line it will be a month or so before I get to test it in flight. In saying that however, I really like the aviation cradle that provides the function keys. There's no way you could use it in flight with out, particularly in choppy conditions. One feature Im not sure about is the lack of a Go To function that brings up your weigh points, or I should say not that I have found as yet. How long have you been using yours for and have you found any dislikes about it?.

Cheers

Hi Graeme,

It took me a little while to get used to the 3600a. I tried to learn as much as I could from the internet, but most reviews were to say the least, hopeless.

The cradle is the magic thing. I have mine mounted in a gimble I made which is adjustable left and right and up and down.

The best idea is to create a flight plan (page 23) and save it. You can then activate it when your ready to take off. This is the way to see your aypoints.

The unit has never locked up during flight. I did have to reset it once, when I noticed as I was taxiing that it wasn't showing groundspeed.

regards

Guest Graeme

Hi Peter, the gimbel is a great idea, particularly in a large cockpit. I dont know what you fly but in my modest kitfox my panel is almost clogged with just the dayVFR instruments and anything that protrudes out at all is bound to obscure a gauge or two. I therefore have it flush mounted in its dock. I gave it a run today up to Mackay and back home and Im happy. I think your suggestion of logging in a plan before you go is a good idea. I have noticed that you can drop a bug onto the screen at any given point and immediately convert it to a weigh point.Like anything its just a matter of getting comfortable with it and the rest is easy.

Cheers

Guest sypkens

I am considering buying the HP Ipaq hx 2490 with a hp bluetooth gps

receiver and either fugawi or oziexplorer (fugawi winning at the moment

without any indepth research). My intention is to buy the maps from

maptrax and use it as a fully fledged gps.

Normally flying drifters I am not sure how cockpit friendly this setup

will be (I am thinking of "clipping" the gps receiver to the dash for a

clear signal and hanging the pda of my neck using a security tag). But

I am then hoping that bluetooth will work in the open cockpit scenario

(nothing points to it not working but you never know until you try it).

One other option is the Asus N35 ($729 ) with an integrated GPS but I like the fact that the HP has more memory.

Anybody with a similar setup please let me know if this will work?

regards,

jan

Guest Graeme

I have a friend on another list that has participated in the development of a series of PDA maps that are similar quality to a VTC. I was going to down load all the maps but purchased the iQue instead. The following address will take you to the site. There is free ware there and good quality can be secured for a donation. Dont know how much but it would be worth checking out. http://www.pocketfms.com/

Regards

Graeme

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I have a Garmin etrex Legend which is ok and is a great backup for the VTC.

Can you buy airmaps and load them onthis GPS?.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Team,

I note Garmin has a new PDA on the market with a faster processor, etc. The iQue M5 model.

Anyone yet purchased one of these new units yet or heard of its performance?

Rodger

Guest Graeme

smiley4.gifHi Roger, I thought the M5 was the predecessor to the 3600a so that's how much I know. I am now using the later in my Kitfox 1V and have settled in well to its functions. Its a good bit of gear and very quick calling up information when in its cradle or as a hand held. What I love about these PDA's come GPS's is there ability to source such a wide range of info. I use it on the job daily but when in the plane it really performs well in the GPS mode. One dislike I have however if the Terrain alert which regularly comes on when in the vicinity of high ground. I have disabled this function as it was driving me nuts continually coming on when miles from terrain.

Cheers