Amphibious Ultralight Aircraft

Robert

Hi All

I am interested if any amphibious aircraft such as Advanced Aviations Buccaneer or Avid Aircrafts Catalina or other amphibious hulled ultralight aircraft are flying in Australia.

Or if any are sitting in sheds awaiting rescueing and made airworthy.

Cheers Robert

There are three "new" type NEW RAA amphibians available...Super Petrel, Sea Max, and Freedom, plus one older style, the Sea Ray.

If interested you can let your fingers do the walking...I import one of the three (for a hint look to the left!)

We have a Petrel at Rodds Bay and it looks a very nice plane. Owner built and he has over 30 hours on it so far and was going for his first water lending last monday. They seem to have a pretty good cockpit with good vision and the Rotax engine should be good for a few hours.

I havn't flown in it but it seems to handle well, the owner put it down the other day in a full 3 pointer configuration and there didn't look to be much between the rudder and the runway, but it was not the usual nosewheel type landing. If you want more info I will see what the owner comes up with or if he is willing to talk to you.

Thanks for the info guys

I was more interested in the old single seaters such as the Buccaneers and Aventuras. I think they would be a lot of fun.

The lastest two seaters would be great but a bit out of my price range. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how many single seaters were brought to this country, if any and if so anyone know of any sitting around collecting cobwebs !!!!!!!

Cheers All

Another way for less cost is Lotas floats on a Drifter. In USA they are quite common on what they call a Super Drifter: that has a 912 on it. Wayne Fisher has his Fisher Mk 1 which is generally a Super Drifter if with a 912 fitted.

Mine has been constructed with rear mounting points to allow fitting of floats if wanted later but the modification can be made after the event if required without great cost. First find a second hand one to convert. If light a 582 may work but I do not fit into that class thus it had to be a 912 to think of having the ability of getting off water! Wayne has done at least one so he would be the person to talk to on the subject.