Here comes fun!!!

Kenchhidu

Hello. I'm Chris. I live at Springfield in Ipswich. I work in Brisbane as an Apprentice Mechanical Engineer and after this weekend I've decided I'm going to go ahead and get my pilot certificate. Whilst growing up in Narromine, nsw, I gained an interest in flying but thought it was out of reach for the 'finacially disadvantaged' That was untill I recently discovered recreational flying and it's reletively low cost. While I was in Bundaberg for the long weekend I went up for a fly with a friends dad in a Jabiru UL I hired from the airport. I've got to say it's everything I expected and then some. I don't know whether it was the freedom or the power of flight but I absolutely loved it. I hope to start some training soon when I decide where. Any help would be good. I'm Only about 70 kms from Airsport and Kev Walters, but I drive past archerfield everyday. Is there anyone there that does raa training? Thanks. P.s. C u @ watts bridge open day.

Guest Crezzi
Is there anyone there that does raa training?

No & even if they did they landing fees & airservices charges would make it a lot more expensive anyway

John

Hey Chris, great stuff mate, and welcome alone! :thumb_up:

As Crezzi has pointed out, Archerfield isn't any good for RAA, due to controlled airspace restrictions, and the landing fees are pretty painful!

I'm not one hundred percent sure where you could go around there, but there is a lot of places around, someone else will help you with that I'm sure.

I learnt at Dalby, which is a great area to learn in! (about 1hr 30-40min from Ipswich). They have Jabiru and Drifter aircraft.

There is also Clifton which is 50 minutes or so from Toowoomba (south/westish), and they also have Jabiru and Drifter aircraft.

Then over toward the coast you have Caboolture, and Boonah, not sure about aircraft types there, but I do know one of them have Tecnams.

If you go here it should be a list of all RAA schools.

Have fun and take care - make sure you lets us know your progress! :thumb_up:

Hi Chris, first off welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the stay.

Pity you didn't post yesterday, I have just gotten back from a day out at Boonah and could have taken you for a flip. Some other time maybe. Do yourself a favour and take a drive out and have a yarn to the guys. It's a whole lot less convenient for me to get out there, but I was impressed with the people and the general setup at Airsport and ended up getting my certificate there, after looking at a few other options. Still very satisfied with them.

By the way, Watts Bridge is a great outing, but you don't need to wait that long, the David Hack Memorial is at Toowoomba on Sunday and is also good value.

Cheers Carl

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

On the Airsport website it doesn't have hourly prices but does say the cost for the minimum 20 hours is $4450. Walters flying school has there hourly pricing posted on the raa website at $140. Which makes his minimum $2800. Why's there such a huge gap, and how much an hour should I have to pay for a tecnam or jab etc?

Hi Chris, sorry i cant answer the price difference, tecnam hire is $140.00 p/h or $145.00 depending on the aircraft, when you have your certificate.When learning, with a instructor it is around $180.00 P/h.$150.00 p/h when solo under supervision. This is at airsport qld.Prices subject to change without notice. My advice would be to drive there and have a chat to both Greg at airsport and Kevin at his school.They are both excellent schools.

Airsport at Boonah is great they have a Tecnam and the classic Drifter, very professional usually with a bit of humour thrown in for free. That seems to be hard to come buy in some flying schools.

Airsport at Boonah is great they have a Tecnam and the classic Drifter, very professional usually with a bit of humour thrown in for free. That seems to be hard to come buy in some flying schools.

I agree a nice friendly atmosphere.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I agree a nice friendly atmosphere.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

That's an important part of it I reckon, especially when you consider that you'll probably spend more time hanging around the hangar, chatting than actually flying if you're anything like most pilots.

Look after that Cub, Dazza, I see a conversion in my future once I've got a few more hours up. Gregg took me for a jolly the other day, just to whet the appetite! By the way, are you going to go up to Monto? My plans have changed and I'm probably going to saddle up the company tractor and go.

Welcome Chris

a side line ? Apprentice Engineer, does this mean you do both practical and theory at the same time or have you done the theory and now are doing a practical apprenticeship. I figure you figure what I are trying to ask!

All the best with the training you won't regret it, I learnt to fly in Glider's while doing a Fitting apprenticeship back in the eighties.

Cheers Guy

Hello blueshed.

I'm doing toolmaking. It's combined so I do 6 weeks at tafe spread threw the year for 3 years. Luckily I'm a mature aged (25) apprentice so I get more than $8 an hour.

Hi Chris,

I was in your shoes not long ago, i actually decided to start training at Caboolture. Really easy to get to because if you're coming from the southside, you just get on the gateway and you're there really quickly and easily without any traffic lights =) If you're coming from the northside just jumping on gympie rd will take you there.

I'm learning at Pro Sky Caboolture, they have two Tecnam P92-S in immaculate condition (until i got to them :P) and the CFI is Zane Tully, really friendly guys and they'd be happy to have a chat with you about your needs etc etc.