Cross country

Guest Marius Grobler

Guest Marius Grobler

Hi there fellow aviators.

I need help: how many hours am I obliged to train cross country with my instructor in the cockpit? How many hours am I obliged to do and what are the requirements?

Thanks

Marius

Guest airsick

Under the new Ops Manual it states (amongst other things):

Have completed a minimum of 10 hours cross country navigation flight training and accumulated a minimum of 2 hours solo cross country navigation experience.

But I think the question should really be - how long will it take me to become competent? Your instructor may feel that you need longer than the bare minimums before he/she signs you off...

Note: This assumes you are starting from scratch. Converting from a PPL or higher has different requirements.

Guest Marius Grobler
Under the new Ops Manual it states (amongst other things):Have completed a minimum of 10 hours cross country navigation flight training and accumulated a minimum of 2 hours solo cross country navigation experience.

But I think the question should really be - how long will it take me to become competent? Your instructor may feel that you need longer than the bare minimums before he/she signs you off...

Note: This assumes you are starting from scratch. Converting from a PPL or higher has different requirements.

No arguments there.

What does country navigation flight training mean? Does it mean in the cockpit with the instructor? or does it mean being instructed, for example, in a class room?

Guest airsick

In my mind it means you have to do 10 hours of cross country FLYING with 2 hours solo as a mimimum. I can't see the ground schooling component being counted as flight training - this component would be tested using the written examination.

When you do your solo component you are still under the supervision of an instructor so this is still considered as a training flight (hence the reason you can't take passengers, etc.). Theoretically you could do the entire 10 hours solo and meet the requirements although I am sure you would be (very) hard pressed to find an instructor willing to send you solo straight away!

[Have completed a minimum of 10 hours cross country navigation flight training and accumulated a minimum of 2 hours solo cross country navigation experience.

Your instructor may feel that you need longer than the bare minimums before he/she signs you off...

I agree for sure ,in cross country their is oh so much to learn. I got signed off on Xcountry about a month ago and I had done 11.5 hrs dual before I did the solo navx. Now while that is a lot more than the previous 3dual and 2solo, I can tell you for certain I needed all of that time to get the whole package working right. What I found was when I became proficient at one aspect of the trip I forgot or mucked up other parts so for me it was much more than just learning all the stuff and passing the theory test it was also co ordinating ALL of the tasks together and operating smoothly in the cockpit without exceeding my mental capabilities.

I realise that time is money but I really wanted to master it as best I could so I would say to anyone about to take it on, to not try to rush it cause it is huge....!! Can't imagine the feeling of flying around lost watching the fuel guage going down:help:

I'm just luvin flying

Jim

Guest airsick
Can't imagine the feeling of flying around lost watching the fuel guage going down:help:

That's why they take their time teaching you cross country - so they can include 'lost procedures' in there too. :)