Information VG no leading edge slats

Jon Bown

• 2 weeks later...

Next Question, My leading edge has sets of 3 triangle set holes all along the top. Presume these are for the VGs. Savannah send me a set of VGs that have 2 lugs hope same hole spacing as holes in my wing, need to check tomorrow. Does any one have the page in there build manuel that shows the orientation of the VGs. please email to me or send photo even of the VGs on the wing my help. Thanks [email protected]

As suggested earlier, you really are best to contact JG at Stolspeed, who is the authority on all this.

Thanks will do, I looked at there web page and lots of good info, they use there own VGs that are different from what I.C.P. supply and they look more robust.

Thanks will do, I looked at there web page and lots of good info, they use there own VGs that are different from what I.C.P. supply and they look more robust.

I just googled and saw a picture with the ICP vortex generators fitted. Perhaps

Next Question, My leading edge has sets of 3 triangle set holes all along the top. Presume these are for the VGs. Savannah send me a set of VGs that have 2 lugs hope same hole spacing as holes in my wing, need to check tomorrow. Does any one have the page in there build manuel that shows the orientation of the VGs. please email to me or send photo even of the VGs on the wing my help. Thanks [email protected]

I just googled and saw a picture with the ICP vortex generators fitted. Perhaps this will help with you with your orientation question?

SmartSelect_20200803-202615_Gallery.thumb.jpg.17a28ac86b1e707253c032c29a8b90f7.jpg

JG chipping in here......

Those ICP VGs should just click into the holes provided, in that paired pattern as you see in the photo.

If you didn't have ICP VGs then the Stolspeed VGs will just stick on over those holes in the same pattern.

ICP purchased their very first set of VGs from me at Narromine. At the time I was importing the VGs from the USA, and ICP copied that style of VG. I never liked that style with the sharp point and the crude base, so I later designed my own.

ICP chose to go with the paired pattern that some other suppliers used. I tested both that paired pattern and the alternating angles pattern that I now use. I preferred the alternating because I found that the paired pattern caused the vortexes formed to interfere with each other and tend to rise from the airfoil, while the single VGs in alternating pattern gave tighter vortexes that tend to stay tight to the airfoil where they should be for best effect and least drag. Either method will work on the Savannah, which already has a very forgiving airfoil.

• Agree 1

Suggest you post a picture of the hole pattern in your wing, Jon Brown.

The ICP vortex generators have 2 locating lugs each, the holes are in a pattern of 4, which gives the paired VG pattern, as on the blue wing pictured above.

If you have patterns of 3 holes, as you previously stated, it sounds like they were intended for a different VG: you may have to get suggestions/advice here on how to proceed.

FWIW I have also used Stolspeed VGs, they are robust and do not require locating holes. They are supplied with a simple pattern/jig that sets the spacing and angle.

• Like 1

Suggest you post a picture of the hole pattern in your wing, Jon Brown.

The ICP vortex generators have 2 locating lugs each, the holes are in a pattern of 4, which gives the paired VG pattern, as on the blue wing pictured above.

If you have patterns of 3 holes, as you previously stated, it sounds like they were intended for a different VG: you may have to get suggestions/advice here on how to proceed.

FWIW I have also used Stolspeed VGs, they are robust and do not require locating holes. They are supplied with a simple pattern/jig that sets the spacing and angle.

Hi Guys Dur when i actually went and had a look at the wing instead of relying on my memory. Yes it has 4 holes in the pattern so yes very obvious how they fit. PS thanks for all the great info and Photo.

Right, so you get superglue.

I found a small plastic bottle of it that has an integral brush, just like a nail varnish bottle.

And I found that a really easy way to paint the right amount onto the base of the VGs....much easier than squeezing it out of a nozzle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

much easier than squeezing it out of a nozzle.

The Loctite superglue GEL is better because it fills the spaces under the base and they don't peel off so easily. The nozzle is not hard to use with the Gel.

• Informative 1

The Loctite superglue GEL is better because it fills the spaces under the base and they don't peel off so easily. The nozzle is not hard to use with the Gel.

Thanks used that all good VGs on wing now just waiting for paper work to go thru RAA