Skyranger Swift build

zodiac3813

Hi Everyone,

I am expecting the Skyranger Swift kit to arrive any week now (the first in Tasmania), I'll post some progress photos and maybe start some kind of a blog if I can figure out how to (???). Engine will be 100hp Rotax, still debating whether glass panel or steam gauges...

Cheers Jim.

• Like 6

Hi Everyone,I am expecting the Skyranger Swift kit to arrive any week now (the first in Tasmania), I'll post some progress photos and maybe start some kind of a blog if I can figure out how to (???). Engine will be 100hp Rotax, still debating whether glass panel or steam gauges...

Cheers Jim.

Will you be buying the 100 hp injected Rotax to go into your S-R?

You should get your kit next week Jim as it is already in the country. I will keep you up to date and no doubt the delivery people will liase directly with you.

Hi eighty knots the injected Rotax engine will not mount in the Skyranger or the Nynja at present. The injected engine comes with its own mount which won't fit in the aircraft without some modification to the structure. It is on Phil's (designer) to do list but I'm not sure just when we will see the changes.

Greg

• Like 1

The Skyranger and the Nynja for that matter are 300 to 350 hours build time, depending on just what you put into them. Most builders take 6 to 12 months over it but they can be built a lot quicker. I built my Nynja in 10 weeks (not full time) from kit delivery to it's first flight but I had a deadline and it was not my first build.

Greg.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone, will upload some pics as I go.. does anyone have any thoughts regarding the use of the supplied plastic-based locking nuts being used in the engine compartment? I have heard talk of using all metal ones, yet the kit was passed in the UK as supplied (very stringent rules I gather...). Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
Thanks to everyone, will upload some pics as I go.. does anyone have any thoughts regarding the use of the supplied plastic-based locking nuts being used in the engine compartment? I have heard talk of using all metal ones, yet the kit was passed in the UK as supplied (very stringent rules I gather...). Any thoughts?

It is generally consider "best practice" not to use nylon locknuts forward of the firewall, since the hot environment may lead to the decay of the nylon. Off hand, I don't think that the price difference between am MS21044N*(Nylon locknut) and an MS21045N-* (all metal locknut) is very much - a matter of cents. (I don't have my price list at home with me.)

Old Man Emu

G'day Jim

Have you decided on those gauges yet? I reckon the steam gauges are better, but that's just me. Although I have been coveting the new AH from Dynon at 15oo dollars seems like a much better option than a 3000 electric gyro AH or having to strap a venturi to the side of the plane.

I had a failure in one of my circuit breakers and started losing engine instruments, electronics can add another level of failure, and for RAA and VHF flying, eyes are meant to be outside the cockpit, not looking at all the pretty electronics inside.

Nevertheless, I am envious that you're building. I'd love to be building again, but Greg won't give me a kit for free, nor will the minister for finance (also minister for warfare) wave her magic wand and make the dollars appear.

Also I have used nylon locknuts throughout and on replacing some in the engine bay found they were as good as the day I put them in. When using them in conjunction with locktite there shouldn't be an issue.

Friarpuk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Friarpuk,

I really appreciate your blog, the photos have helped me greatly. I've pretty much decided to use an EFIS/EMS (probably MGL Enigma or Extreme) in combination with some steam guages for backup (and I guess I'm a traditionalist at heart!), as well as a GPS (wavering between AvMap GeoPilot II PLUS and one of the myriad touch screen units), radio, compass and transponder. I'll try to post a couple of photos, although the last one isn't up to date: I've since fitted the tail surfaces and control cables, currently working on the fuel system. One question, did you have to remove the floor to fit the fuselage covering, or just the supporting tubes underneath the outside of the floor?

Cheers, Jim.

171851425_CopyofDSC02087.JPG.576f570b06bb635353fa23c335cc0af4.JPG

Hi Friarpuk,IOne question, did you have to remove the floor to fit the fuselage covering, or just the supporting tubes underneath the outside of the floor? Cheers, Jim.

G'day Jim

It's taking shape. Exciting times!

Once I got the floor in I didn't move it. I don't reckon you'd get the floor back in if the covering were on it anyway. If I was to do the floor again I would used carpet on thin aluminum sheetings as it bears no weight only feet when flying, and you're seated then. I reckon trying to mould the center console in with the floor might save a bit of weight too. You would then just have to mount the battery in a different way as there would be no floor where it usually sits.

Few pics in PDF below

Have fun lacing the floor. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Puk

Doc1.pdf

Doc1.pdf

Doc1.pdf

Hi Jim. Have you thought of using one of the new I Pad minis, 7.9 in screen with OZ Runways. There should be ample room on the panel for it, a lot cheaper than some of the other dedicated GPS units with a multitude of uses.

Greg.

If you want a cheap EFIS how about this setup: iPad mini, iHud remote EFIS app and the AHRS Mini from Levil for the AHRS reference. The Levil AHRS Mini connects wirelessly to the iPad. You could have the same app on your iPhone as a backup.

• Like 1

I have the MGL Xtreme and I am very happy with it infact I am going to buy another Xtreme EFIS and use it as the EMS this then gives me a total electronic backup but will also fit a analogue ASI. The 2 Xtremes will work off the one set of compass module and AHRS unit which I have fitted anyway. The Ihud program will tell you lies as it is similar to the wings level that is in a lot of gps units they can fall back to give wrong rsults depending on what the aircraft is doing for a prolonged period of wings banked or turn. I also have a Ipad with ozrunways it is just fantastic..the only other thing you would need is either a iPhone for a backup gps or get a area500 and they are a pretty good gps

G'day JimIt's taking shape. Exciting times!

Once I got the floor in I didn't move it. I don't reckon you'd get the floor back in if the covering were on it anyway. If I was to do the floor again I would used carpet on thin aluminum sheetings as it bears no weight only feet when flying, and you're seated then. I reckon trying to mould the center console in with the floor might save a bit of weight too. You would then just have to mount the battery in a different way as there would be no floor where it usually sits.

Few pics in PDF below

Have fun lacing the floor. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Puk

HaHa thanks Puk, I can foresee much gnashing of teeth (not to mention bleeding fingers) when it comes time to lace.... any tips?

Hey Jim:Looks spectacular mate.

Just curious, how did you get it to stand on its wheels like that without a weight at the front, or support at the back?

It actually just balanced that way, at the time... not so now, with all the tail surfaces! It needs the engine...