Legally High

oneplaneboy

Hi everyone

I'm based in Upper Coomera looking at joining the Northern Rivers Aero Club (the other half is from that area and we're looking to move there in the next 5 years)

I have a NZ PPL and I'm looking at licence options here

I'm a chippy to pay the bills but flying is in the blood with Great Grandad ww1 pilot, 2 Great Uncles ww2 pilots, Dad, Uncle, Cousin - pilots

I'm partially colour blind with red and green defect so was told I couldn't be a commercial pilot at a young age and since starting my PPL in 20o7 I have a night restricted medical because of it

I have flown/been passenger in a number of different aircraft over the years and hold type ratings in Cessna 152, 172 and the X-air

I love the x-air and hope to own one one day

Cheers

Oscar Papa Bravo

G'day Oscar Papa Bravo and welcome to the site here.

I'm a chippy as well but got too old to be on the tools allday every day - got a cushy office job now but I still get to inspect building sites. Dunno where I got my flying bug from, but it certainly bit deep and is in my blood I reckon.

Good luck with your goal of owning an Xair - looks like a great aircraft.

Papa Uniform Delta

G`Day Oscar Papa Bravo!....098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif.

I`ve been involved with recreational aircraft, ( Ultralights ), since the early eighties....Have flown quite a few different types , from the Wheeler Scout to the Zenith 701.

I`ve flown the X-air with a Rotax 582 engine,several times! Quite a good AC.

Cheers,

Frank.

Welcome to the best forum site around. I too am a Kiwi & my wife is Aussie. I have a PPL from NZ and decided to go RA due mainly to escalating costs in GA & the fact that the modern RA aircraft have overtaken the lower end of the GA spectrum in performance while reducing fuel consumption. I am building a Jab 3300 powered Morgan Cheetah Sierra at home & belong to the South Grafton Aero Club, just a quick hop to Lismore. Not sure if NR club is RA affiliated. It is not listed on the RA-Aus site but then that is usually out of date anyway. YSGR is a great little club with very friendly members. Sunday afternoon/evening is the social day. Pop in sometime for a yarn & a beer.

Welcome to the best forum site around. I too am a Kiwi & my wife is Aussie. I have a PPL from NZ and decided to go RA due mainly to escalating costs in GA & the fact that the modern RA aircraft have overtaken the lower end of the GA spectrum in performance while reducing fuel consumption. I am building a Jab 3300 powered Morgan Cheetah Sierra at home & belong to the South Grafton Aero Club, just a quick hop to Lismore. Not sure if NR club is RA affiliated. It is not listed on the RA-Aus site but then that is usually out of date anyway. YSGR is a great little club with very friendly members. Sunday afternoon/evening is the social day. Pop in sometime for a yarn & a beer.

HI Guys.Northern Rivers Aero club.Operate RAA as well as GA. They operate a J160 and J230 on the RAA register.The also operate Cessnas.I have never been to the club myself.But Airsports at Boonah recommended the club for guys to do RAA to GA conversions.

Welcome Oscar Papa Bravo. I'm a member of Tyagarah Aero Club which is not too far from Lismore. If you are going past on the highway call in and say hello there is usually someone there most mornings. We get together every Saturday morning from 9.30 for coffee and tea and hold a sausage sizzle on the fourth Sunday each month. Lismore do something similar on the second Sunday (tomorrow) as well. There's a good community of flyers in this area who will make you very welcome.

cheers John

Hey guys cheers for the replies

Yeah I reckon you don't need flying in the blood to catch the bug! It's pretty easy to catch! The only thing about having pilots in the family is everyone is a bit more understanding of the bug and why you'd want to throw so much money at it whether it's for a job or for fun!

Hi kgwilson are you flying on a Special Licence here and keeping your NZ one current? Or just the Oz RA?

Thanks for the info Dazza 38, also how do you insert text from another poster like you just did? I've gone to help and tried find out for myself but it didn't look as professional as your post, maybe I'm not looking in the right place

Drifter 45 I've driven past the Tyagarah airfield quite a few times and wondered how much happens there. Does the Aero Club have aircraft for hire? Would definitely pop in sometime

Thanks

oneplaneboy

Hi kgwilson are you flying on a Special Licence here and keeping your NZ one current? Or just the Oz RA?

Haven't bothered to keep to PPL current as I am flying RA aircraft now. If I ever get the urge to head into CTR territory I'll have to get a medical & do a BFR. Nah not worth the hassle & expense.

Kevin