Turn rate and slip and skid instruments

I have been surfing and as I am using a Brauniger Alpha MFD in the Savannah I am building I want to put a slip/skid ball in the dash as well. The prices are not too bad for the cheapie balls at aircraft spuce but I found this range of super light weight electronic versions and they look very interesting indeed. The pricing is extremely good as well especially seeing the aussie dollar is so high at the moment.

Has anyone used these or know of anyone using them I would love some feedback.

They are made by Belite aircraft the links are below. There are also videos on the pages to look at they have a fair range of all the instruments in electronic versions

http://www.beliteaircraft.com/electronics/turn_rate_indicator.php

http://www.beliteaircraft.com/electronics/inclinometer.php

Mark

I am happy to report that Recreational Flying is to be the Australian agent for Belite Avionics and they will soon be available from the shop right here.

presentation.

Tried to be fair about this but I cannot see any advantage over the "Bat & Ball". The older PRESENTATION would be FAR easier to do a spin/spiral recovery with, than these, and isn't that what we need? The ball is just a balance instrument and is really a pendulum and it indicates an out of balance flight condition. (Why call it an inclinometer?) For it to be off centre you are skidding/slipping. Nothing complicated about that.

The Turn indicator is more important and is critical in a spin or spiral. This presentation would be far harder to interpret and prescribe a recognition, and execute a recovery technique with..... Nev

I actually have these instruments on my (new) dash. Although not used yet, they are interesting to say the least. The inclinometer (on the bench) works exactly as an inclinometer. Belite assure me that it will function in the air as a slip/skid ball..... Lovely and bright, I got the square bezel but should have got the round one. You can paint them too...The turn indicator is wierd. Hold it still it shows wings level. (with LED's) If you tilt it it shows momentarily a turn then resets to wings level. BUT if you actually turn it as (say 45 degrees) in horizontal compass action, Then it shows that degree of turn until you resume original course...So it works as a turn indicator NOT a turn and bank....It DOES NOT show bank angles..the inclinometer does that..What I am going to see as I fly and turn remains to be seen! The faces are a paper-like material and require covering. I used microfilm. Weight is nothing, about the same as a 2 dollar coin, come with plugs for 9v batteries but I hard wired mine. I don't think that they are, or intended to be, a replacement for a artificial horizon instrument but may be better in that respect that a turn and bank indicator.....Come and look if you like...Geoff

Dear CFICARE.................The inclinometer ...on the bench...DOES SHOW BANK ANGLES...If you want to argue with me about it I will hook the dash up and show you...I am (still ) waiting for my 0-200 crank and crankcases to come back from "crankshaft rebuilders" (about 8 weeks now)...If I get it tomorrow (as promised + 4 weeks) Then I should be ready to view the instruments in the air by early next week... I'll keep you posted

Bank angles.

The instrument will only show Slip or Skid. Turn and Bank is a total misnomer. In a static siruation the ball will fall to the low point. In the air it is another matter entirely. In a coordinated turn it will stay at the bottom. ( centre). Nev

Using the instruments next week! hopefully...apparently the "inclinometer" has an electronic gyro fitted to it. Or was that the turn indicator?... How the hell that works I do not know. Why Belite don't call it a slip indicator I am not quite sure. But they look great.....So Time will tell how useful....But I dooo so like lightweight stuff.......

I watched that video 'How high was the Belite' in which you see the full dash. How utterly confusing. They all look the same with their vertical readouts. Lightweight or not, I'll stick to conventional steam guages or a recognised glass screen dash.

Spoke to James from Belite this morning on the phone and he told me that there has been a lot changes to the instruments in the last 2 months. Things like the paper cover has been replaced with plastic, the turn indicator has been completely upgraded to provide more info, they are bringing out a larger range of instruments etc so it will be interesting to see when they arrive here...we will be stocking the black ones however have a couple of white faces as spares if preferred.

Geoffrey, they remember you and said that you got the earlier models but what makes these instruments great is that they are so low cost that it doesn't break the bank to upgrade them but being electronic the maintenance/lifespan of them is so much better then steam.

It took me a while converting from steam to the Dynon electronic and personally i think it just comes down to personal preference of steam or electronic as both have their advantages/disadvantages. With these Belite ones you can fit out your entire panel with everything you need and the panel weighs less then 1kg which again depends on your needs and preferences i.e. not really needed when you have heaps of MTOW to spare

Yeh, each to his own, but seeing as you see more of your panel than any other part of your aircraft, it might as well be interesting, hence my 'fighter? style' Gauges shown are temporary and the best I could download from the Google library. Same goes for the GPS, road version.

102707929_Cockpitframeworkandpanel.thumb.jpg.c8e453e66381163ac89de252b929bbf6.jpg