Hope I have fixed it

Jabiru Phil

The cold starting problems are here again. Temp down to 1 deg. recenly (early am) No start

I have taken onboard the suggestions from this forum and yesterday had a larger battery (500 crank amps) fitted together with a new I think Lucas brand solenoid and relay. While I had the auto sparky on site I got him to install a jump start plug, passenger side on the side of the dash panel. I have also ordered a solar panel to trickle charge the power pak. Iridium plugs go in at the next service in a couple of weeks.

As there is no power at the hanger I have a 1000 watt genset which will run a small heater or hair drier if all of the above fails. If it does I will sell the plane to some lucky guy in a warmer climate than this.

I will keep you posted if I have further problems.

Phil

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil

I had trouble strating my 230D at Wangaratta after an overnight - too cold. The problem has not appeared since as I came back north. It took over an hour with the top cowl off to get some sun to heat it up enough.

I have since purchased a 12V hair dryer which I will carry when next going that for south - should solve the problem [i hope from reading other post from cold areas]

Frank

Guest studentbiggles
The cold starting problems are here again. Temp down to 1 deg. recenly (early am) No startI have taken onboard the suggestions from this forum and yesterday had a larger battery (500 crank amps) fitted together with a new I think Lucas brand solenoid and relay. While I had the auto sparky on site I got him to install a jump start plug, passenger side on the side of the dash panel. I have also ordered a solar panel to trickle charge the power pak. Iridium plugs go in at the next service in a couple of weeks.

As there is no power at the hanger I have a 1000 watt genset which will run a small heater or hair drier if all of the above fails. If it does I will sell the plane to some lucky guy in a warmer climate than this.

I will keep you posted if I have further problems.

Phil

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif Darling your not giving your beautiful "Baby Girl" a big enough hug in the morning 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif 025_blush.gif.8e2ecc192cc98853ac4370dddcd7cf74.gif 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif !!!

Don't you ever think of selling your Girl :black_eye: but if you ever did, fellow flyers take it from me she is an emaculate looking A/C....From the "Unofficial Aero Style Police" :big_grin: :big_grin: SB.

PhilI had trouble strating my 230D at Wangaratta after an overnight - too cold. The problem has not appeared since as I came back north. It took over an hour with the top cowl off to get some sun to heat it up enough.

I have since purchased a 12V hair dryer which I will carry when next going that for south - should solve the problem [i hope from reading other post from cold areas]

Frank

Frank,

The other method that usually works is to pour very hot water over the carby, careful not to get on distributor caps etc, I reckon my battery was on the way out. The new one really whizzes it over.

Wonder how long you would be able to run the dryer and still have enough for starting? assuming you are using the planes power for the dryer.

Phil.

Only 1 thing to say really RROOTTAAXX, pretty bad when you got to chip the ice off the carby, pull the chokes on hit the starter and it fires straight up, damn that means i got to fly now 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

But i spose it better to be frozen up there making money than sitting on the ground costing you money :thumb_up:

Same old problem every winter - we now use the technique of pulling the prop over all cylinders with full prime ( nil throttle ) to get the lighter fractions into the cylinders. So far so good , temps down to 5 deg at night already

Guest Pioneer200
Same old problem every winter - we now use the technique of pulling the prop over all cylinders with full prime ( nil throttle ) to get the lighter fractions into the cylinders. So far so good , temps down to 5 deg at night already

You guys are lucky, we are getting temps down near 5 degrees during the DAY here at moment!!!!

Only 1 thing to say really RROOTTAAXX, pretty bad when you got to chip the ice off the carby, pull the chokes on hit the starter and it fires straight up, damn that means i got to fly now 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gifBut i spose it better to be frozen up there making money than sitting on the ground costing you money :thumb_up:

So, who's going to own up to being the one who asked in the Jabiru forum at Natfly when they're going to make Rotax engine mounts available?

I recall the response being something like, "Don't be a miserable XXXX", or something along those lines. I take it the answer was in the negative.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif As a trike pilot I found it rather amusing.

So, who's going to own up to being the one who asked in the Jabiru forum at Natfly when they're going to make Rotax engine mounts available?

Did that really happen? Wish I was there, that would have been very funny to see:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

Pud

So it starts if you can get the battery power? Ie, you can spin the engine over?

Not too sure what you mean Tomo.

Engine needs to spin a lot faster than the supplied battery when very cold conditions. Hence the larger battery will hopefully work. Installing the jump start plug will I hope only be used if the volts are down.

My previous two years experience starting this plane on cold mornings was to remove top cowl, pour hot water over carby hook up jumper leads (sometimes) and let it warm up for a few minutes. Including boiling the billy and all of the above takes 20 or so minutes whjich in its self is no big deal. But after camping out at the Finke last June I was left with a good hike to get help. Perhaps if I had waited for the temp to rise in a few hours it may have started.

All my original post reasons for the mods are to hopefully not have to walk.

Phil.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif Darling your not giving your beautiful "Baby Girl" a big enough hug in the morning 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif 025_blush.gif.8e2ecc192cc98853ac4370dddcd7cf74.gif 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif !!!Don't you ever think of selling your Girl :black_eye: but if you ever did, fellow flyers take it from me she is an emaculate looking A/C....From the "Unofficial Aero Style Police" :big_grin: :big_grin: SB.

Alley

Only joking about selling. I still have the option of fuel injection should all fail.

Thanks for your suggestion but hard to hug an ice lady.

Phil

Not too sure what you mean Tomo.Engine needs to spin a lot faster than the supplied battery when very cold conditions.

Sorry about that - what I was asking, and you may have answered that already... Basically it's electrical problems? Nothing to do with the engine itself? So if you can spin the engine over with jump leads, will it start ok? Or do you have to wined and wined till it starts?

Reason I ask, is cause the jabiru's I've flown, not once have I had any issue with starting - it will fire after about a revolution, maybe two. And it's getting cold here - Negative 2 the other morning.

Sorry about that - what I was asking, and you may have answered that already... Basically it's electrical problems? Nothing to do with the engine itself? So if you can spin the engine over with jump leads, will it start ok? Or do you have to wined and wined till it starts?Reason I ask, is cause the jabiru's I've flown, not once have I had any issue with starting - it will fire after about a revolution, maybe two. And it's getting cold here - Negative 2 the other morning.

Yes Tomo, it starts OK with enough power (revs) usually 3-5 revolutions with choke.

The problem seems to be too slow a turnover, so electical or fuel related.

Only once have I not been able to start was when moisture condensed inside the cowls and formed water on the coil magnets. Dried them off and OK with jumper leads.

My improvements should fix.

If we had your warmer weather here there would be no issue as we have no probs during the warmer months. Note your -2 was that the temp when starting?

Phil.

Yes Tomo, it starts OK with enough power (revs) usually 3-5 revolutions with choke.Note your -2 was that the temp when starting?

Ok, would be electrical then - and as Slarti states, some Solonoids could be the issue.

No -2 wasn't start up temp, just a statement it does get cold here! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hey Phil

If you run out of ideas, try closing up the spark plug gaps. I think the book figure is 24 thou / .6mm. Bringing the gaps down to 20 thou / .5mm made all the difference.

Cheers

Jabiru Phil,

The winter setting for spark plug gaps is 0.018". That's the word from Bundaberg. Also use some choke.

The engine needs to spin above 300RPM to fire, so your battery needs to be in good nick.

Old Man Emu

Jabiru Phil,

The engine needs to spin above 300RPM to fire,

Old Man Emu

And that would be the whole problem.

Listen to Startyfastermaster (post#5) and get a decent solonoid that will conduct all available current to the starter motor

Regards Bill

choke

The choke on a Bing carb is not really a choke it's a start circuit. Either use full choke or none. Part choke will just screw things up.

Also make sure no throtle is on as this bypases the choke circuit, so check ya carb throttle stop for correct position with full off throttle lever, common problem and yea like posted full on or off no in betweens, same as ya carb heat all on or off cheers guy's

Plus 5-7 deg yesterday am and it DID start after 3 tries. The prop turned over very fast.

Prior the old battery would have died after 3 tries.

Still not right as it should have started sooner I feel.

Leads me to look at fuel starvation (non atomising)? etc.

Irridium plugs later this week and more cold mornings due.

I can accept the 3 tries as long as it does'nt get worse.

Phil

Sounds like you do need to look further. It was about 3 degees yesterday morning in Dalby and my jab started before it did one rotation, and starts when it is below 0 degrees without any effort. Yes I am one of the mad ones that flies when it is cold.

Harthy

Starting technique.

As Steve Donald has said. make sure the throttle is fully closed, and have choke full on. If the engine starts and you want a few more revs, you can open the throttle a bit but the choke effectiveness is reduced. Nev