If I buy a 2nd hand 19 registered U/L what does that mean?

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

Hi Guys

If I buy a 2nd hand ultralight that is currently registered with RAA as a 19- Aircraft what does that mean for me as the 2nd owner.

Im not a lev2 Maintainer, however did 12 years in the RAAF as an Avionics technician working on F111C's and P3 Orions and do have electronics tertiary qualifications.

What is required to become a lev 2 maintainer and are there different lev 2 categories? what impact would that then have to me as the 2nd owner of the Aircraft.

Lastly does anyone know exactly what is required with respect to RAA documentation and procedures if I want to buy the Aircraft.

Regards

Andy

My understanding is that ownership confers a level 1 maintainer's entitlement ie you can work on your own plane.

A level 2 can work on others' aircraft after completing the necessary paperwork with the RAA to convince them that the necessary skills and experience are present.

RAA office will provide the necessary documentation re transfer of ownership and securing a level 2 endorsement.

davidh

Essentially anyone can work on your aircraft as long as it's not being used for Hire and or Reward and as long as the owner signs off the work as his own. A Level 2 or higher must work on an aircraft that is operating for hire or reward. It takes a few references, mechanical experience and some paperwork to become a Level 2. Depending on your experience you may be awarded a "restricted" level 2, based on your engine or airframe experience.

If you buy a used factory built aircraft you are able to maintain it without any qualifications, however if it's later used for hire or reward, it must begin to be maintained by a level 2.

Limitations of home built aircraft are that unless you built them yourself, you are unable to train in them and they can't be used on-line for training.

**You are not legally allowed to train in a 19 registered aircraft if you buy it second hand.

To transfer the rego after purchasing you'll need to obtain a condition report from a Level 2, complete the paperwork and hand over some cash.

I hope that helps.

Guest Andys@coffs

Thanks to you all for the replies.

While the tech manual did yield info around the difference between Lev 1 and Lev 2, and when they needed to be used when I looked today, there wasnt anything that I could see about registration or transfer of registration for the majority of the various classes we all fly, 95.10 excepted. Certainly couldnt see anything around 19- rego transfer. Still Im not complaining as I understand that the manual is an evolutionary beast.

regards

Andy