3300 Cylinders

deadstick

Carbon on pistons

Heres a shot of the Carbon that has built up on the crowns of the pistons in My J230D J3300,

Scary thing is, its only done 239 hours would hate to see what its like at 1000hrs, XXXX fuel at some stage or what?

287696758_GetAttachment1.jpg.c9e77ba86db4908eafba297260758d96.jpg

I show'd dad the picture and first thing he said, "not working hard enough". He than asked if the bore was glazed up, to which I believe you said so?

If it was bad fuel it still shouldn't have done that I reckon.

What could have happened is it started to glaze the bore, oil is then allowed up passed the rings increasing the glazing procedure and also making it cause a lot of carbon, hence the jammed ring. Something that once it starts is nearly impossible to stop.

Only other thing could have been incorrect cross hatching of the bores, but you'd certainly be unlucky for that to happen on more than one. And or faulty rings, but you say there were a couple doing the glazing?

Yeah your dads on the money Tomo, thats what I suspect and not owning the aircraft for the first 200 hours of use I cant say how it was used although the previous owner did say that itll stay in the air all day if you pull the power right back and I believe it may have been used to check the water bores on his property. The Cylinder bores showed signs of pitting indicating it may have sat unused for extended periods on regular occasions, on a side note if the rings hadn't stuck in and caused smoke I may not have caught number 2 before it spat he biscuit and the exhaust rocker on number six was being eaten by the pushrod so would have been a show stopper before the 1000 hour mark as well. A blessing in disguise perhaps? I will reserve my judgement on that one.;)

DK