Cub Crafters Carbon Cub

dazza 38

I have been reading the Cub Crafters forum, on their Carbon Cub, fitted with the CC340, engine.Owners have been having Cooling issues with the engine in warm temperatures. I dont think there are any of the type here in Aust yet. Apparently, the Oil temp, is fine.But the A/c with Dynon with engine monitoring , or A/c fitted with CHT Gauges, are showing realy high temps. They are working on a different Baffle design.Anyway i though i would post this, for for people who might be interested.Cheers

Hi Dazza, Can't enlighten anyone further but I gotta say, the Cubcrafters SportCub is a great, and easy plane to fly. I started to do my tail wheel convertions in one with Martyn Smith at Aldinga but ran out of cash. Obviously the CarbonCub has a much more powerful engine and may well suffer from overheating, especially if pilots are pushing the limit of max power time (5 minutes). 180hp produces a lot of heat and looking at the available photos and vids, there are no obvious attempts to get that heat out of the engine bay. Additional baffles won't necessarily help.

S8000883R.thumb.jpg.562ff7a6a22d8cf080a3888e07591854.jpg

S8000886R.thumb.jpg.4a25312905f0d5772c1a6607e1e031fd.jpg

Hi David, to expensive for my mate, $169 000, plus i would want the VFR Package, TX, radio, GPS. Thats another $10 000 at todays prices. I would go For the CUB S2, with the 0-200 D continental.Even that is pricey around $127 000 Us plus the $10 000 Vfr package.

Hi Desktop, your on the money from what i can tell, apparently it up to the pilot to reduce the power after the max 5 minutes. The engines are based on the Lycoming 0-320, with Cubcrafters own EFI. I stumbled on this particular thread, in their forum, there are a couple of Gents concerned because, they have now around 150 or so hours in the A/c.The a/c have been running like a swiss watch.Oil temps spot on as per the manual.One of the Cub Crafter Guys, have also known that the engines have during ferry flights, in Realy COLD, conditions have had temp issues, they have put it down to COLD Soaking of the engine, we are talking snowing conditions.Basicly because the engines are/were brand new, running straight grade oil, the oil has become like a jelly like substance, and wouldnt flow through the oil cooler, so they have waited for the oil temp to come up. taken off. A couple of minutes later the oil temp has raised. This what i have been writing is their words, give or take, i can not remember excactly. It might be easier to go to www.cubcrafters.com.Then go to the forums.

Anyway-desktop, i would realy like to fly the S2, i might even head down their to Aldinga, to have a fly in one.Also how do the instructors/feel about the rear stowaway seat.Is it comfortable for them and does it impead their abilities to fly the A/c ?

They stowaway seat from my understanding , was designed to save weight, mainly or so to give better access to the cargo area.I love the S2 as you can see my avatar.

Cheers

Dont know about the new Cubs but the Piper Cubs of years gone by were a joy to fly.

Hi CFI, Cub crafters started out doing STC's, for Piper Cubs, then they started, rebuilding Piper Cubs, mainly super cubs. Then from there they started building their own cubs.There Top Cub model is the modern version on the Piper Super Cub.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Dont know about the new Cubs but the Piper Cubs of years gone by were a joy to fly.

CFI (and others), would you know the wherebouts of the Buckley's? ( Dick & Cath) Dick used to fly Catalina's in the war and later in life was out tug pilot with a beautiful Super Cub at Lake Keepit. I loved that plane and it's got me thinking about a Savage Cub at the moment.

CFI (and others), would you know the wherebouts of the Buckley's? ( Dick & Cath) Dick used to fly Catalina's in the war and later in life was out tug pilot with a beautiful Super Cub at Lake Keepit. I loved that plane and it's got me thinking about a Savage Cub at the moment.

Hi Mate, they use a super cub at Boonah, to tow gliders, their is also a Savage To fly at airsport.Cub heaven LOL

Dazz, thanks mate, please pass on my best wishes when you see them, I'll drop over again when I get a free w'end soon. This was over 30yrs ago- hard to believe we've been at this flying thing so long - it's the best.

And yes I saw in the Savage ad about T/W endorsement but did'nt realise there was one at Boonah- I will get in touch.

Thanks Again.

Dazz, thanks mate, please pass on my best wishes when you see them, I'll drop over again when I get a free w'end soon. This was over 30yrs ago- hard to believe we've been at this flying thing so long - it's the best.And yes I saw in the Savage ad about T/W endorsement but did'nt realise there was one at Boonah- I will get in touch.

Thanks Again.

No worries mate.Paul Turner owns the savage cub on line, he is a member here.Its a excellent a/c to fly.I realy like flying her.Cheers 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• 3 months later...

Cub crafters-Have designed and tested and it has worked very well apparently 3 positioned (on the Ground) Cowl Flaps to reduce the engine temperatures. Due to over heating issues, by some operators in the Northern Summer in the USA. Thats what i like to see, a innovative A/c company that listens to their customers, and quickly designs a Modification, in a matter of months.

Just for general interest, since there is only one Carbon Cub at the moment here in Australia.