Temora Update

Aircraft Showcase – Pacific Theatre wrap up

The Museum’s Aircraft Showcase kicked off on Saturday with great success. Although we did have very cool weather it didn’t deter our visitors who came from every Australian state and even international. They were treated to the Museum’s Wirraway flown by Lars Larson, Lockheed Hudson with Doug Hamilton and Gordon Glynn and the Mk VIII Spitfire with Doug Hamilton. Temora Historic Flight Club Pilot Lars Larson said “Flying the Wirraway on Saturday was great fun and the cool temperatures enabled the Pratt and Whitney radial to give me plenty of horsepower which made Spitfire pilot Doug Hamilton envious!

Our Engineering Team had the workshop set up for our visitors and they took time to show them the progress on the Meteor and Sabre annual inspections. The Meteor was stripped down with the engine cowlings removed and one of the main fuel tanks out for repair. The Sabre was still on jacks and our visitors were able to see first hand the unique undercarriage retraction sequence as the team ran several cycles using the Museum’s external hydraulic power cart. A Rolls Royce Merlin which was recently removed from our Mk VIII was on display and Chief Engineer Peter Pring-Shambler removed a rocker cover which offered folks a chance to see the cam shaft and rocker assembly on this intricate V-12 engine. Gordon Glynn brought his Cessna O-1 Birddog up close and answered questions about the aircrafts design and construction and the important role it has played since it went into military service.

Temora Aviation Museum’s first Aircraft Showcase is now a part of our history as we turn our attention towards July 17th and Aircraft Showcase – Jet Fighters where the Sabre and Meteor will take to the skies again following their extensive annual inspections joined by the Cessna A-37B Dragonfly.

Check out this Aircraft Showcase video link and we look forward to seeing you in Temora. http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au

Matt Hall to be MC

Temora Aviation Museum is excited to announce that Red Bull Air Race competitor and former RAAF Top Gun fighter pilot Matt Hall will be the Master of Ceremonies for the Inland NSW Tourism Awards held at the Museum on July 24th. The Awards function will be a gala event taking place in the Museum’s Display Hangar surrounded by the Museum’s collection of historic aircraft. Chief Executive Kenny Love said “we knew that hosting the Awards at the Museum would be an amazing experience but to have a top gun, combat decorated fighter pilot who is currently competing in the Red Bull Air Race World Championship – that just puts the icing on the cake. Matt is an incredible pilot and a great guy and he is planning to share some of his experiences with us on the night.”

Following in the footsteps of his grandfather who flew in World War II, Matt is a former Royal Australian Air Force Fighter Pilot, with over 1800 F/A-18 Hornet hours. He was an elite Fighter Combat (Top Gun) Instructor, and in 2006 completed a tour as the chief instructor for this demanding course. He has received many awards along the way, including Dux of Pilot, Hornet and Fighter Combat Instructor courses, the 1997 Fighter Pilot of the Year and was awarded a Chief of Air Force commendation for his performance as the Chief Instructor of the 2006 FCI course. He spent three years in the USA on a USAF exchange program, flying over 500 hours in the F-15E Strike Eagle, including combat. For his efforts, he was awarded combat decorations by both the US and Australia. Matt resigned from the RAAF in 2009 to allow him to become a full time Race Pilot.

When asked about the upcoming awards Matt said “One of my favourite places to visit is Temora where the people are always so welcoming and fun to be around. I am honoured to be able to be part of the Inland NSW Tourism awards at the Temora Aviation Museum, a place that I always enjoy visiting.”

Matt Hall is bringing his two seat aerobatic aircraft, the Giles 202, to the Inland NSW Tourism Awards. The Giles is an unlimited aerobatic aircraft in which Matt has completed his competition aerobatics and Red Bull Air Race training. Two lucky guests at the Tourism Awards will win the opportunity of a lifetime to go flying with Matt as he demonstrates the three dimensional world that he lives in.

Matt said “I am sure this is going to be a night not to be missed. I know I can’t wait to be involved.” Tickets to the awards night can be purchased at: 2010 Inland Tourism Awards

Upcoming Aircraft Showcase Days

July 17th

August 7th & 21st

September 4th & 18th

October 2nd & 16th

November 6th & 20th

December 4th & 18th

Major Airshow TBA

Temora Aviation Museum