How many RV12's in Aus - RAA or VH?

rgmwa

Just out of curiosity:

1. How many RV12's are currently under construction/completed in Australia, and where they are located? I know of one completed and flying, and several being built. I'm guessing there may be about 8-10 all up.

2. How many are or will be be registered 19-xxxx and how many will be VH-?

rgmwa

RV12346

Perth

I've just started construction. I expect at least a 2 year construction period. Registration will likely be VH Experimental while ever I retain my PPL, but if that changes I'll have the option to go RAAus. Living near Canberra means having controlled airspace entry privileges is useful. However, if the CRAA (Canberra Region Aviators Association Inc.), of which I am a committee member, is able to get a secondary strip operational near Canberra, that might change my thinking.

Cheers, Denmit

Aussie RV-12s

G'day Spriteah, rgmwa and I are just starting on the empennage/tail cone, so I reckon we might be making a few requests of you for assistance as we get into the wings later in the year.

I'll email both you and rgmwa off-forum with my contact details, and would be pleased to receive yours.

There should be a few others out there too - Barb Billman said she has shipped "half a dozen or so" RV-12s to Oz.

Good to hear you're happy with the kit.

Cheers, Denmit

Good day gents,

I don't want to stray off the topic, but would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. I started with my microlight license a few years ago, but didn't really feel at home in the garden furniture machines (trike), and decided I will rather do my PPL someday. A guy I know form uni days back in South Africa has built his RV-7, completed most part of a RV-12 before selling it, is buying a RV-10 to build now and is currently project managing a group of 10 jointly building a RV-12. Interesting thread here: AvCom • View topic - I have a dream...Build, Learn, Fly! RV-12

If I do my PPL and fly as one, what difference would it make in the type of aircraft registration when comparing VH against RAA? Is controlled airspace entry dependent on the pilot license type or the aircraft registration type? Thanks in advance.

Rudi is a well known contributor to the VAF Forums website, and is regularly updating his post on the group who are building the RV12. It's generating quite a bit of interest. South African RV-12 Enthusiasts Build Group - VAF Forums

There is also an article in one of the recent RVator magazine's on VAN's website that explains how the ownership and responsibilities of one group were handled. This may be of interest to anyone contemplating this approach: http://vansaircraft.com/RVator/2010/2-2010-RVator.pdf The RV-12 seems to be a good candidate for a group build due to its completeness as a kit. Engine, FF and avionics are all included, and it doesn't take 2000+ hours to build.

My understanding is that you need at least a PPL, a suitably equiped plane (radio and transponder), and Controlled Airspace endorsement to fly into CTA. I don't think it matters whether it's VH or RAA registered.

rgmwa

RV120346

HI I am building a rv12 wings and fuselage finished. paint and uphaulstery done avionics nearly finished and just picked up the engine kit yesterday hope to be flying soon will be raa registered

ashley

G'day Warmbrak, rgmwa has pretty well covered it. Access to controlled airspace requires a PPL or higher (there isn't a "controlled airspace endorsement" as such - it comes with your PPL). RAAus were working on getting access for RAAus pilots to controlled airspace after appropriate training and endorsement, but CASA have said that the existing arrangements are satisfactory and don't currently intend to proceed with the proposal.

If piloted by a PPL holder, either RAA or VH aircraft can access controlled airspace. If a PPL holder is piloting an RAA aircraft, he/she must hold an RAAus licence as well, entitling them to fly that aircraft. A RAAus aircraft must have have VHF radio and transponder, the latter must be checked and signed off for correct operation by a LAME, and the engine must be on the CASA list of acceptable engines. Rotax and Jabiru are. There are no two strokes on the list.

A group build would be a brilliant idea for a like-minded, co-located group. Perhaps you could gauge interest by a post on another Forum thread?

Cheers, Denmit

Thanks Crashley, I have relies in Moe and get down there once or twice a year. If I give you plenty of notice, would you put up with me having a look and asking a lot of questions? I'll send you my details in a Private Message.

Denmit

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback gents - is someone currently building an RV at Jandakot? I would love to visit one of these "builds in process" and see what it is all about. One always gets excited when reading about other people's builds, and I think it is difficult for an onlooker to fully comprehend the amount of time going into building one's own aircraft.

RV-12 Visit

Thanks for the feedback gents - is someone currently building an RV at Jandakot? I would love to visit one of these "builds in process" and see what it is all about. One always gets excited when reading about other people's builds, and I think it is difficult for an onlooker to fully comprehend the amount of time going into building one's own aircraft.

Hey Warmbrak, rgmwa should have started building his RV-12 over west - that so rgmwa? I had the privilege to visit crashley's build last weekend. He will be flying in a month or two I reckon. He's done a great job with it, and his panel will be a cracker with a Dynon Skyview EFIS replacing the D180, a Garmin AERA replacing the 495 and an Icom IC-A210 comms/intercom. He's ditched the automotive fuse panel too.

Seeing the aeroplane "in the flesh" and so close to completion gave me a real spurt to get on with mine. Thanks crashley.

Cheers, denmit

Hey Warmbrak, rgmwa should have started building his RV-12 over west - that so rgmwa? I had the privilege to visit crashley's build last weekend. He will be flying in a month or two I reckon. He's done a great job with it, and his panel will be a cracker with a Dynon Skyview EFIS replacing the D180, a Garmin AERA replacing the 495 and an Icom IC-A210 comms/intercom. He's ditched the automotive fuse panel too.Seeing the aeroplane "in the flesh" and so close to completion gave me a real spurt to get on with mine. Thanks crashley.

Cheers, denmit

We'll the kits have arrived and I've just completed the inventory. Apart from a few missing fasteners, everything was there. That took about a day and a half. The only snag was that one of the crates was damaged, most likely dropped on its edge somewhere between Fremantle and my place, with the result that three fuselage panels were dented and will be replaced. Insurance will take care of it, but the extra paperwork is a hassle.

I'd like to have a panel that replaced fuses with circuit breakers, and I'm hoping that by the time I get to the avionics, VAN's will have upgraded the system. I'm not too fussy though. All the aircraft I've flown had steam gauges, so any kind of glass panel is new to me. However, I'm very happy with the quality of the kit, and with the choice of aircraft.

Warmbrak: The SAAA is organising a fly-in at Serpentine on 29 September. I'm driving down there to have a look, as there should be lots of RV's and other homebuilds there. Serpentine seems to be the local Mecca for builders, and there are all types of planes under construction or being restored. My RV-12 is still a collection of parts in crates at the moment, so there's very little to see. If you're interested in catching up at the fly-in, send me a PM.

rgmwa

RV120346

Warmbrak

PhotoMaps by NearMap[/url]

Just in case others may be interested, the Serpentine fly-in is on Sunday 26th September, not the 29th as I posted earlier.

rgmwa

RV120346

• 4 months later...
Hi Robert, At best count I can now find 12 RV12's being built around Aus. I have contact details for about half of them.....Cheers Marcus.

Hi Marcus,

Saw your post on VAF. Also had a visit during the week from `Dunx' whose from near Ravensthorpe, WA. His empenage should be here soon so he can make a start while waiting for the rest of his order to be delivered. Haven't heard of any other builders in WA so far. I will have the fuselage section of the empenage finished today. Wings and fuse are here, and finishing kit will ship this week.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Another RV-12 builder

Came across Karl's name on another website, so have added him to the list. His build is obviously under way, but I have no other information.

Jim Tatlock - Geelong

Rod Clark - Byron Bay

Brian Howard - Gold Coast

Alan Saunders - Gisborne

Tony Earle - Port Maquarie (Flying)

Marcus Bootle - Riddells Creek

Ashley Hiscock - Hazlewood North (Flying)

Stephen Vandervelden - Cranborne North

Robert Melis - Perth

Roger Russell - Sydney

Dennis Mitchell - Queanbeyan

Dave Hastwell - Adelaide (kit ordered)

"Dunx" - Ravensthorpe WA (kit ordered)

"Ausmo" - Barossa Valley SA (kit ordered)

Karl Ahamer - Mittagong, NSW

rgmwa

• 10 months later...

Hi All

Took delivery of my empennage kit last week (for RV12 #589). Have done quite a bit of work so far on preparing parts but unable to assemble anything due to difficulty in deciding on/obtaining a suitable idiot proof priming system. I have heard of the Stewart Systems water borne materials which seem pretty easy to use but have questions about later compatibility with external finish options. Has anyone any ideas or firm advice on what NOT to do?

Jon

G'day Jon, most (including me) are priming mating surfaces only. I used rattle cans on the empennage and tailcone, but moved to the Stewart primer/sealer for the wings. I will also do the finish coats using the Stewart system (red - already sitting on my shelf). Don't yet know about the finish coat application ease and finish, but the primer/sealer sprayed on beautifully with a touch-up gun bought cheap from GasWeld, and I'm a first time user of spray guns.

Good luck with your building, it can be tricky in some areas but there is plenty of help out there.

Cheers, Mitch

Thanks for responding Mitch. That all makes sense to me. I have contacted the NZ 'supplier' although still waiting for pricing. Yes tricky it is - those drawings need watching and countersinking rivets is an aquired art just to get the cage adjusted right. A list of the accredited (?) tricky bits to look out for would be a useful resource.

Yours must be flying by now? What happened with your avionics kit - Vans seem to be still working on that. I am registering E-LSA although a non current CPL.

All the best

John

Not yet flying John, working on the fuse at the moment - work and family takes a toll on building time.

I'm waiting until we can order Skyview for avionics. I thought about doing it all myself like Crashley did - which is a beautiful job - but decided on the easy way, given other time commitments.

Cheers, Mitch