How many RV12's in Aus - RAA or VH?

rgmwa

Not yet flying John, working on the fuse at the moment - work and family takes a toll on building time.I'm waiting until we can order Skyview for avionics. I thought about doing it all myself like Crashley did - which is a beautiful job - but decided on the easy way, given other time commitments.

Cheers, Mitch

Hi again

Yes the decisions are taking some time regarding avionics.

Further to the priming system which is now on its way from NZ but I was speaking with a qantas engineer yesterday and his advice was to alodine everything before priming to ensure adhesion. I have emailed SS to clarify whether this would be compatible with their system or not - it is either a belt and braces thing or incompatible. Any thoughts?

G'day John - ahhh, the primer wars - they never end. I understand that aloding is a great base for subsequent priming, and the combination offers very good corrosion resistance, but the stuff is toxic. I decided, given my inland location, that the aeroplane will outlast me with just careful prep (creating a good key and thoroughly cleaning with Stewart's Ecoclean) and the Stewart Systems primer/sealer.

If I was living on the coast I might have taken a different view.

Cheers, Mitch

Hi Mitch - amazing stuff. Emailed SS and their 'official' reply -

"It is not necessary to use Alodine. A clean etched surface will bond extremely well with our EkoPrime or EkoPoxy primers. You can Alodine if you like. "

As you say alodine is toxic so I am going to give the SS (clean/etch/prime) way a go and maybe (if I am game enough) apply the masking tape rip test and maybe Duralac the rivets and bolts.

Thanks for your help,

John