Want to Fly On Line?

Timm427

I have been speaking to several other RA-AUS pilots about running an online session for LSA and Ultralight flying within Australian Air Space.

Having gained some interest, the best thing to do is run a few sessions and see if anyone turns up (If no one else shows up I'll still be having fun).

Flying on line requires everyone to be using the same software program and version and sometimes updates to that version. For instance I am running FSX with both service packs 1 & 2.

I know that with FSX if I am hosting the flight and I have SP2 (service pack 2) then everyone who joins the flight also has to have SP2.

WARNING - Not all add-on FSX aircraft work properly with SP2. The main issues that occur is some gauges will not appear on the panel and some textures (painted surfaces) are not visible. For instance the background for the dials on the Savannah become see through and you can see the ground.

The only real way to know this is to suck it and see.

I was hesitant at first but when I upgraded I had minimal damage and only cleared a couple of Aircraft from the virtual hanger. I will put the links for the service packs in the following messages

System Set-Up for FSX on line

you will need to install the following Service Packs and update your software to fly in

the session.

Of course, if you already have these you won't need to download them.

FSX Service Pack 1 Download details: FSX SP1

FSX Service Pack 2 Download details: FSX-SP2

The downloads are pretty big and could take some time to download

Setting up scenery so we all see the same thing

The experience of flying online with others is much better if our scenery settings are all the same. If they are different then for some there are more trees, hangers and the edge of hills can be slightly different. While the Sim will still work some planes will have to fly around trees while watching other planes fly straight through them etc.

To change your scenery settings (using the tool bar at the top left of your screen) and select Options then Settings then Display. The third tab on the top of the new open window is scenery. Click the Scenery tab to open that page. At the top leftish of the page is a dropdown box called Global Settings. Click in the dropdown box and select Medium High.

We will use this setting to start with and change it if people are having problems with their system running at these specs.

I was going to run an online session tonight, Instead I will be using a session called GotBush?

When you open up the multi player screen in FSX and type in your user name and password and enter in the next screen, in the top right hand corner there is a drop down box that will say freeflight (which is the default page) click this drop down list and select Bush Flying. You should see a session that says GotBush douple click the session to enter it.

I will be there from 7pm EST Friday 30/7/10