Zaon traffic alert

I am considering purchasing a Zaon traffic alert, would be interested to hear of any ones comments on these. The XRX is a 3 times the price of the MRX, is it 3 times as good?

Am I asking the obviuos here but will these systems only pick up another aircraft which has their transponder on?

049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Send a PM to Brilair here...he has an MRX (Health & Safety :: PCAS Systems :: Zaon PCAS MRX - Aviation Pilot Supplies Shop | Flight Gear | Aircraft Instruments) and I will get one when I get a new aircraft.

You are right they depend on Transponders so they are no substituite for the eyes but at least they will confirm something to look for if the other aircraft has a transponder

I have 2 friends with these in aircraft (that don't post here) so will summarise what i was told.

One has the MRX in a GA aircraft and likes its operation

One has the XRX after first getting the MRX which didnt work well and the last report was the XRX was generally useless but better than the other.

If I was buying one myself, based on the specs and reports, I'd be using the MRX in my microlight.

They only work if the other aircraft has its transponder on and within the ground secondary radar coverage area. (unless a TCAS equipped airliner is within range) If you fly in areas where your transponder does not get interrogated continuously the Zaon wont be working either.

Ralph

Yep, when I used to fly IFR everywhere things were simpler in lots of respects, very little issue of see and avoid , there was always someone on the other end of the radio to advise of possible conflicting traffic while climbing, descending or en route. The use of a device that will advise of traffic in close proximity and alert if they become a risk (on most occasions) is a little like putting a seat belt on when ever you get in a car, they may not always work, but will increase your chance of survivabilty. Your'e a long time dead so why not use every avenue available to increase situational awarness. They may not work all the time but they may just alert you to an aircraft that may be descending onto your tailplane that otherwise you would not have a hope in hell of seeing, no matter how vigilent you are with see and avoid.

keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Health & Safety :: PCAS Systems :: Zaon PCAS MRX - Aviation Pilot Supplies Shop | Flight Gear | Aircraft Instruments[/url]) and I will get one when I get a new aircraft.You are right they depend on Transponders so they are no substituite for the eyes but at least they will confirm something to look for if the other aircraft has a transponder

Yes we do have one, and it is great.

Exactly what Ian says, that it is not a substitute for eyeball 1 and 2, it does alert you when you can't see anything...and it does make you sit up and look. Ours is set at 5 nm and when you are moving at 100knts an hour, it gives you time to take action if required.

Highly recommend it. :thumb_up:

-Linda

I have the MRX in my Jab 160 and it works just fine ... you do rely on others having there transponder on but it has picked up many aircraft before I have had a visual.

It's another set of eyes to help you find traffic and worth ever cent.

Cheers

Jack

MRX Audio output

Looking at the MRX in the Clear Prop shop I noticed it has an audio output socket.

Is this a standard audio socket as per walkman, MP3 players etc?

I ask as I already have the cable and intercom input socket for my MP3 player which I have velcroed onto my panel in the past, but don't tend to use it due to poor sound quality and operational concerns rightly expressed on this forum about not hearing others radio calls over the music.

But if I can use the same cable and intercom input to connect a traffic alert device like the MRX that has to be a good use for it. But I just don't fly in busy area's very often, the busiest being when transiting east/west to the North of Canberra listening into the approach frequency in case any GA/RPT/Freight birds are coming or going.