Glass instruments

Goodaye all

l am reseraching instrements l will require in my future build.

Its for a VFR experimenal, so what brands are worth looking at???

Also would like to fit GPS.

regards Bruce

Glass Pannel

Gooday Bruce

I have friends with Odyssey, Tru Trak and Dynon Glass pannels they are always adjusting the setup and updating them, If your not good with computers I would run a standard pannel.

Less Hassle. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif 051_crying.gif.edc6b33a234e272ee13f0ec0ae40b12a.gif 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Yours in Flying

Mick

Hi Bruce,

Glass Instruments + GPS...........Hmmm.....May as well add autopilot??

I'm in the same boat (or plane!) as you, researching various Instrumentation, GPS and Autopilot options. I comes down to money and personal preference.

Check out this web site, Dynon Avionics - Home they have great products, so I've been informed.

Let us know how you go.

All the best, Jayden

Mechanical.

IF you are thinking of going mechanical and want gyro stabilised instruments, ie AH, Turn and slip/skid etc, good ones are costly and sometimes do not work for long, if they have been in storage or taxiing on rough ground. Panel should be rubber mounted (but usually isnt). The glass is a cheaper thing in the long run.

Most of the glass ones I have been involved with in U/L's are not working properly ( Something wrong with the set-up).

A mimimum panel and a good GPS gives you most of what you would want for VFR. Nev

I keep looking at the options and it seems that if you want a full panel, it may be cheaper to go glass, but if you want just the instruments required for VFR, then the old steam gauges are cheapest. I will probably fit the minimum of old type gauges when the plane is built and consider upgrading to glass later. I wouldn't want to rely on glass as my sole instrumentation.

There is a comprehensive glass-panel comparison in this month's Kit Planes magazine.

It appears I could easily spend more on a glass panel/autopilot set-up than I am willing to spend on the entire kit plane. On the other hand, there are some better value-for-money ones worth having a look at too.

:bad computer:One thing that does concern me is the amount of software upgrading that needs to be done during the life of the glass panel; wouldn't it be more fun to spend the time flying?

BTW, what IS the expected lifetime of a glass panel installation?

I spend a bit of time from time to time designing a panel for the plane I hope to acquire/build in the not too distant future.

Don, small hijack time. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif What are you thinking of getting?

Nah! Building = Good. No need for psychiatric assistance! (take it from an old engineer :) ). I'd give my back teeth to (have the time and money to) build.

Interesting about the 160 at Cessnock. I've been having fun at the Oaks (flew a mate down to Goulburn this morning just for the helluvit), but something bigger than the LSA would be good to get back to. Anyhow, enough hijacking (Sorry folks!).