Difference in Icom Radios

Does anybody know the difference between the Icom A6 (Yank Version) and the Icom A6E (European Version) as they both have the same frquencies and are identical in every way except one has an E for European Model.

Sandman, I believe that the IC-A6 AUS radio is the only one approved for Pilot and Ground comms in Australia.

There are other manufacters that make Pilot and Ground radios, but this is the only one for ICOM.

We use the IC-A6AUS and it is a good unit, I have not used it in the aircraft and primarily use it to speak to the choppers and fixed wings A/C. I also use it to get the weather before i leave home when heading to the strip.

Hope this helps

There are some shops and traders here that import Icom radios as sell them without any approvals here. The ACMA has very strict rules on all radios transmitters that are approved for use here so that they do comply to the Australian specifications. The actual Icom list and their uses for models are below

Ic-A15 only for airborne use

Ic-A6 AUS IS australian type approved for pilot and ground use

Ic-A24 approved ONLY for airborne use

Ic-A110 approved for airborne and ground use

IC-A210 NOT type approved for ground use

These details are straight out of the Australian Icom dealer manual

Please also be aware that if you buy the unit from overseas or a "grey importer" here Icom Australia will NOT supply or support any warranty on that item in any way

Mark

Bought an Icom A4 out of the states last year. Don't know about approvals but it works great in the air and on the ground. Maybe the Yank/european/aussie versions are identical and the difference is in the price (bloated profit) you pay for the AUS branding!!!

• Like 1

Actually no...most australian models do tend to have different/extra parts in them to comply with the minimum specifications required by the ACMA. When it comes to two way type radios the australian spec is usually higher than the american spec for example usually harmonic suppression for the aussie model needs to be between 2 to 5 dB better. If you look at what I posted you will see that some models are approved for different operations here...this is the reason for it what sells in other places around the world do not necessarily comply here.

Radio gear is what I do for a living both in sales and service and we must comply with the australian regulations even when repairs are done once finished they must comply with these specs.

Mark

• 2 months later...
Actually no...most australian models do tend to have different/extra parts in them to comply with the minimum specifications required by the ACMA. Mark

Mark,

Does the same apply to Vertex handhelds? I'm thinking about maybe getting a Vertex VXA-220 (or maybe an Icom equivalent) as a back-up radio, but can't find any references to an `Australian' version of the Vertex. How can I tell whether it meets ACMA specifications and whether it's approved for air/ground or air only?

rgmwa

Guest davidh10

Unfortunately Australia has stupid laws. I don't know about other countries.

Kyle is spot on. If ACMA have not type approved it, it is legal to import it and legal to sell it, but illegal to use it.

Actually this situation may have changed in recent years, since I know it is illegal to import non-type-approved mobile phones into Australia.

This was the reason CB (Citizens Band radio) came to Australia. There was no spectrum allocation and no CB service in Australia, but various manufacturers of CB radios found that they could dump in Australia, all their gear that didn't meet US standards and therefore could not be imported into that country. So Australian shops sold them. People bought them. It simply became impossible to prosecute the 10's of thousands of people using them.

When a radio company or even Joe Bloggs from down the road wants to import and sell into Australia "legally" they must submit a unit for testing to make sure that this radio meets or exceeds the published specifications required in this country's legislation for radio transmitters in what ever band it will work in. This process costs a lot of money and it is only for that brand,type and specific model of radio. There are a lot of brands and a lot of models and all MUST go through this process to be approved. Last time I heard it was around $15,000 to $20,000 to get a radio approved.

Mr Micks pilot supplies gets his stock from Mr whoflungdung out of Guandong province and sells it to someone as a great radio. Mr ACMA is doing his rounds at the local airfield/hangar and stumbles across this radio and think wow this is another ring in and hence the process screwing the unsuspecting pilot to the wall.

All countries around the world have their own specifications they require for transmitters to comply with. It turns out Australia requires usually a better spec than most other countries its not by a lot but it can make significant differences when it comes to adjacent signals and also harmonic radiation. These specs if they are not adhered to can upset or impede other radio services including emergency radio services. This is why the rules are in place.

What gets on my goat is the importer should be the person who bears the pointy end of the stick they are the ones flouting the law. The law here is it is the end user that cops the fine not the company that didnt give a SH*t and just wants to make a quick buck regardless of the rules.

its no different with RAA rules how would you feel if someone came along and just started flying his own aircraft without any regard for circuit direction or safety or any compliance or inspection of the machine he is flying over public areas?

But he sells this aircraft really cheaply because he can import it for a great price and make a big profit because he doesnt spend any money making sure it complys with the rules

Mark

Well, that's got me wondering. I'm building an RV-12 as an E-LSA aircraft. That means I have to build it exactly as per Van's plans and specifications, using an avionics package supplied by them as part of the kit, including the radio. Although it's a well known brand and model, since it's being supplied out of the US, I've got no idea if it meets the local ACMA specifications. Substituting a known compliant alternative is not an option, because that violates the E-LSA rules.

From what I've read in this thread, the model number alone is of no use as a guide to compliance, so I'm not sure where that leaves me legally. Possibly between a rock and a hard place unless the supplied radio complies with the standards.

In fact, I assume this would also apply to someone who imports a used aircraft from the US, experimental or otherwise.

rgmwa

The only real way to be sure you are compliant is buy it from a Authorised australian dealer for the radio company's office BASED here in Australian. Both icom and Vertex australian arms are great for service and legal requirements they always follow the law here. just check your supplyer is a "authorised AUSTRALIAN dealer from ICOM australia or Vertex Australia

Mark

The only real way to be sure you are compliant is buy it from a Authorised australian dealer for the radio company's office BASED here in Australian. Both icom and Vertex australian arms are great for service and legal requirements they always follow the law here. just check your supplyer is a "authorised AUSTRALIAN dealer from ICOM australia or Vertex AustraliaMark

Therein lies the problem. The radio is a Garmin SL-40, and I can't buy one from an Australian dealer. It has to be supplied by Van' s in order for them to sign off on the E-LSA compliance. I assume the same thing applies to the transponder as well (Garmin GTX-327). Sounds like I may have to take it up with VAN's.

Sorry, I realise this is drifting away from the original topic.

rgmwa

rgmwa

I am not sure actually about transponders...it would be a good question for the ACMA...BUT I am pretty sure it will probably be ok because it is not really for use on the ground only in the air so there are some other rules that may apply regarding that. Also because it would be a industry standard in worldwide aviation it may very well comply./..the only sure way would be go to the ACMA website and ask the question. Or of course you could just go with the flow and use what they specify its all a can of worms now days it used to be a lot simpler once

Mark

Mark,

Going with the flow sounds reasonable to me, on the basis that these units are mainstream products supplied by a reputable aircraft manufacturer as part of a kit, and I'm expected to use them. They're not Hong Kong imports, so if ACMA are not happy about it, I might suggest they sort it out with Van's. Anyway, there are plenty of imported aircraft flying around here with their original avionics, so I'll be in good company.

Thanks for the feedback.

rgmwa

• 1 year later...

Ive just purchased a US version and was told by ICOM after i sent then this email- Hi there i recently purchased a Us version of the IC A6. I have seen the

Australian Type Approved and was wondering what the difference's are and if

the American version will still function in fully in Austlralia?

Thankyou for your time

This was the reply

The Product is known as a grey import, and

as such, does not qualify for our warranty.

Grey imports are sourced from un-official channels, and have the

following issues:

- They do not meet Australian specifications and may not be

suited for australian conditions

- Not covered under an Icom Australia Warranty

- Not type approved

- Often missing accessories ( accessories not available

locally.)

- No repair support ( Icom Australia not stocking parts for

them)

- Many unhappy customers

As they are not type approved, I would strongly suggest that you do not

purchase from companies selling grey imports, as by using their products

you are liable to ACMA prosecution.

A list of authorised dealers can be found on our website, please contact

them to find an official reseller in your area.

Thank you, and sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Actually no...most australian models do tend to have different/extra parts in them to comply with the minimum specifications required by the ACMA. When it comes to two way type radios the australian spec is usually higher than the american spec for example usually harmonic suppression for the aussie model needs to be between 2 to 5 dB better. If you look at what I posted you will see that some models are approved for different operations here...this is the reason for it what sells in other places around the world do not necessarily comply here.Radio gear is what I do for a living both in sales and service and we must comply with the australian regulations even when repairs are done once finished they must comply with these specs.

Mark

So appart from warranty the question is "Not type approved means?" and affects its use in Australia how?

All transmitting radio equipment must comply to australian standards. This is done by the importer submitting the radio equipment for expensive and strict compliance testing to the very rigourous australian rf standards which are a little higher than a lot of other countries. Legally no one is to use a transmitter that has NOT been approved for this purpose it can attract 100,000 plus fine and or gaol if they want to take it that far. The IC-A6 AUS is the only handheld in the Icom range that is approved for ground ops transmissions the others in the Icom range also Vertex range are only approved for transmission airborne and no ground ops are to be done with them.

This is the law .....I am not saying I necessarily agree with this but as we know there are lots of laws that are disobeyed every day without any penalty ...because you were not caught thats all.

This is the same with all grey imported products it is not just air band radios is ALL transmitting equipment wether its land mobile CB or any other device that transmits over a predetermined power level.

I heard they went through Avalon Airshow one time and nabbed a whole lot of spectators with non-Australian approved radios. It is not illegal to sell grey imports and these retailers don't care that you are wearing the brunt of the legality of it if you use them. One retailer who is from the UK has been selling many different UK products for years and not caring that YOU are the one that can get into trouble if caught...not them.

And, I will be up front here as I feel so strong about how money is the driver of all evil and people don't care about what they do to others for the sake of money but as you will know the shop here sells the Australian APPROVED Icom A6 radio for $495. The actual cost price to the shop as shown in the attached invoice of one from last month is:

1.jpg.8f51978b89cb860e00913498fda70bd7.jpg

You can see the enormous amount the shop here makes on an APPROVED Icom A6 radio $435 + $43.50 gst = a massive $16.50 on an almost $500 unit so you can see which retailers are really ripping you off with grey imports just for money 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

• 2 years later...

One of the requirements for use in Australia are Australian approved radios MUST have non user controlled i.e. user can not turn off, an auto transmission shut off after 1 min if the radio transmit button is say for example accidentally bumped when in your flight bag etc...like when your mobile phone makes all those unknown phone calls