Difference in Icom Radios

With all due respect to Ian and Mark, what they say about the type approval process is absolutely correct. What they fail to mention is that pricing in Australia is purely determined by what price can be squeezed from a small, captive market. Whilst Mark makes the point about the harmonic suppression on transmit, most radios come out of the factory with identical boards. The output power and receive filters and maybe channel spacing may be country dependent but to all intents and purposes the radios are identical. No manufacturer produces an inferior radio for certain markets. What unfortunately we are paying for over here is to bolster the vested interests of the regulatory committees that generally contain 'industry experts' , (read manufacturers or importers).

I know it's slightly off topic but as a prime example I've just bought a Garrett pin point metal detector for $58. The SAME product here is advertised for $199. Now don't try and tell me that it's down to importing costs and overheads. The Oz importers of this one product are more than likely paying even less than me at source. It's blatant greed. I would maintain that this is the case with anything here marked ' aircraft .....'

Paul Toone

40+ years in radio and electronic design.

• Like 2

The only time I turn my radio on is when I'm in the airplane and turn it off when I exit the airplane. Not sure what you mean by ( bumping the transmit button is say for example accidentally bumped when in your flight bag etc...like when your mobile phone makes all those unknown phone calls )?. When my radio is in my flight bag it is switched to off and takes a little to turn it on.

Paul, what I was advised by Icom is that the boards in the radios that are made to meet Australian regulations are one off and different to their standard mass produced boards because they have to be made specifically for Australian regulations with that auto transmit shut off incorporated into the board. Icom would prefer not to sell to Australia because the demand is so small and that they have to do a special production run of the boards just for Australia which they only do once every couple of years. There are new models coming out some time next year so Icom don't want to at great cost do a special run just for the few they sell here until they do the run for the new model. This is what I was told by Icom

The only time I turn my radio on is when I'm in the airplane and turn it off when I exit the airplane. Not sure what you mean by ( bumping the transmit button is say for example accidentally bumped when in your flight bag etc...like when your mobile phone makes all those unknown phone calls )?. When my radio is in my flight bag it is switched to off and takes a little to turn it on.

It is basically to stop a stuck transmit function as required by Australian regulations...ring Icom and they will explain it better

Hey Techie, In today's times money is a bit hard to come by unless your in the drug market or a politician, but you could save yourself $141.00. I know it is a tricky one but people are just trying to get best bang for their hard earned cash.

Greetings all

The following text appears on the Rec Flying Clear Prop shop where Icom radios are offered. Is this info still current?

Note: Due to unforeseen circumstances, Icom Australia regrets to inform you that they have suspended selling Airband radios as of Tuesday 22nd July until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. We hope to have these available again soon

And from the ICOM website

Icom Australia is currently undergoing a re-assessment process for these products. We are in the process of working with the ACMA to re-commence selling Airband radios in Australia. We will provide another update when we have further information.

Please feel free to call (03)9549 7500 or email [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns.

The following text appears on the Rec Flying Clear Prop shop where Icom radios are offered. Is this info still current?Note: Due to unforeseen circumstances, Icom Australia regrets to inform you that they have suspended selling Airband radios as of Tuesday 22nd July until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. We hope to have these available again soon

Yep, unfortunately still current. I keep on at them every 1 to 2 weeks to keep updated and all I get is they are doing their best to start supplying again but won't give me a time frame...1 week, 1 month...unfortunately I just don't know but the thing is, there is currently no certified hand held radio available for legal use in Australia.

A few years back I was at Avalon and I saw the powers to be mingling in the crowd issuing fines to anyone who had a non-Australian approved radio in their mitts even though all they were doing was listening to the tower etc.

Some background that may help.

The most recent (current) ACMA standard for air band radios (ground mobile and ground portables) which CASA also requires for portables in aircraft (refer AIP GEN 1.5-3) was enacted in 2012, and Icom Australia expected new compliant models to be available from Icom Japan before stocks of the old ones ran out. Unfortunately, this did not happen, and the revised model(s) have not yet been manufactured. Icom is working with ACMA to see if special permission can be provided for the interim supply of one of the other portable models to meet industry demand. However, this is currently in the hands of the ACMA, so it's impossible to give a reliable timeframe for when or if this will happen.

The IC-A210 has been permanently discontinued as it was previously approved for installation by CASA via a CAR 35 process but this instrument has lapsed in favour of CASR21. Units previously installed may continue to be used, but new installations are no longer approved. (RAAus requires that fixed mount radios carry CASA approval, according to the tutorial.) see: approved apparatus may be used; refer to AIP GEN 1.5']http://www.recreationalflying.com/tutorials/comms/licence.html#communications which reads: "If it is a fixed installation only Civil Aviation Safety Authority [CASA] approved apparatus may be used; refer to AIP GEN 1.5"

I hope this helps

John R.