New MS Flight Sim

Admin

As many of us will know, last year MS sacked their entire Flight Sim team and put an end to the long running (since 1983) popular flight sim software.

Well, last month MS decided to resurrect it but to what is unknown...firstly the "Sim" in the title has gone and that's about all that is so far known...it is simply called Microsoft Flight.

Microsoft Flight

Gentlemen,Just a thought. With this new Microsoft Flight, I'm sure that we'll like to see drastic improvements in the workload balance between a computers CPU and Graphics Card. Without any costly results.

Swiftly,

M.G. Lye

6 Sep 10

Aye! Too right. I would sincerely hope at least some of those developers have been following some of the FSX forums out there and seen the miriad millions of postings from people complaining of the steep system requirements for FSX and that even modern day systems still struggle. As you might know, most of those problems came from poor coding in FSX and not necessarily a lack of hardware grunt.

I also hope that we can port our investment in FSX gear and add-ons over to this new development.

Can't wait to see what transpires.

Cheers,

Aye! Too right. I would sincerely hope at least some of those developers have been following some of the FSX forums out there and seen the miriad millions of postings from people complaining of the steep system requirements for FSX and that even modern day systems still struggle. As you might know, most of those problems came from poor coding in FSX and not necessarily a lack of hardware grunt.I also hope that we can port our investment in FSX gear and add-ons over to this new development.

Can't wait to see what transpires.

Cheers,

Absolutely,

Hopefully they'll take the time to read through the concerns and ideas that FSX Enthusiasts have posted regarding this new Microsoft Flight and what'd like to expect.

All I can say is. Strap yourself in and enjoy the ride!

Cheers,

M.G. Lye

6 Sep 10

Aye! , most of those problems came from poor coding in FSX and not necessarily a lack of hardware Cheers,

I haven't seen the source code myself but as a long time software developer I think you will find backwards compatibility coupled with not forecasting the different pace of gpu/CPU advancements is the reason. It does very well considering what it was required to do. Oh, an allowing users to specify setting no current computer can handle didn't help.

I bet they are not going to produce a better version of fsx. They will aim mass market. It will look very pretty but useful for simmers? I doubt it other. If only orb did scenery for x-plane :-(

There are many discussion about MS Flight! on various forums, and many valid points are made. What interests me though as that many of the 3rd party developers have not been contacted by the development team as they were for FSX. I am also getting the feeling that the announcement for Flight! is was done way to early before any real progress could be reported on. I am a big fan of the MSFS series, but I'll gladly stick with X-Plane for the moment. I love the work the ORBx guys have done/are still doing for FSX, but it isn't doing much for the performance of the simulator even on modern computer systems.

I recently got the Tecnam P92 for X-Plane, and the sensation of flight is much better than that what MSFS currently offers.

We'll have to wait and see as soon as more information becomes available, but I'll definitely grab X-Plane 10 when it comes out in any case.

I will have to give that plane a go. I haven't used FSX since I got a share in a real plane although I updated everything (including x-plane) last weekend because I thought I might get back into it a bit. My i7 is fine for most of my aircraft, a glass cockpit really kills FPS but I prefer the steam gauges anyway :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Third Party Contracts

Gentlemen,

I think the best move here for Microsoft to impress us users is to contact third party companies being offered with contracts to develop specific sectors of Microsoft Flight whilst Microsoft brings it all together as a whole.

Imagine the scenery being of a FTX standard.

Imagine the aircraft being of a Captain Sim standard.

I rest my case!

Cheers,

M.G. LYE

26 Sep 10

• 4 months later...
Guest PC Aviator

Updating this thread. A few new videos have been posted. Looks like the same or similar code, but with some better eye candy. I would say there have been some changes to the base scenery coding, but much of it may be similar or the same as FSX. It certainly looks much better, and if nothing else, if the code is better optimised, it will run better than previous versions.

Updating this thread. A few new videos have been posted. Looks like the same or similar code, but with some better eye candy. I would say there have been some changes to the base scenery coding, but much of it may be similar or the same as FSX. It certainly looks much better, and if nothing else, if the code is better optimised, it will run better than previous versions.

Hmm, yes, PC Aviator. It does look very nice but we need to remember that these are purely teaser videos conjured up by marketing gurus. The car guys do the same to make their cars look flash but when you eventually see them on the road, it's like "that's just ordinary". I'd rather be patient and wait to see how a real demo on my PC goes before I praise (or blast) it.

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
Guest PC Aviator
Hmm, yes, PC Aviator. It does look very nice but we need to remember that these are purely teaser videos conjured up by marketing gurus. The car guys do the same to make their cars look flash but when you eventually see them on the road, it's like "that's just ordinary". I'd rather be patient and wait to see how a real demo on my PC goes before I praise (or blast) it.Cheers,

Fair call :)

Guest Andys@coffs

yeah remeber the "photo quality" images of the mountain lake that MS provided to users when the update from DX9 to DX10 capable video cards were announced, and of course that was all bundled into the acceleration add on pack...... quality never quite lived up to the hype that went before it.

That said, have to say that my nVidia 570 based video card doesnt struggle too much with FSX, and even the old quad core 9300 cpu doesnt either, despite it appearing as though only 2 of the 4 cores are used to any great affect. (and yes thats with the SP3 applied which was supposed to be more efficient in use of cores beyond #2.....however it was only a SP not a rewrite with a charnge in architecture)

Andy