Super Petrel LS

HEON

A two seat Rotax powered composite amphibian biplane is now in Australia. The first two 600kg MTOW UL 24 registered examples are now flying here, one a demo and the other delivered to it's new owner today.

The number of different amphibians available are growing. Finally it seems people are finding out about amphibians...they can land everywhere a standard aircraft can, plus a lot of other places. Also very hard for a Council to sell and build DFO's on water as is happening on various airfields.

If you want to move on to an amphibian call one of the various dealers in Australia...preferbably me!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest burbles1

Heon,

You're right about amphibians becoming more prominent - I notice a competitor's lightweight model has just come on the market.

Can you tell us about conversion training for floating hulls, and what is the possibility of dry hire in the Sydney area?

Have been thinking about this lately, especially since my trip down south.

Do you know about dry/wet hire up this way? The guy I hired the J230 off the other day does float endo's... might be something else to add to the collection.

Conversion training for floating hulls in RA Aus at this stage is a bit light on mainly as most amphibians have been 19 rego up untill reciently. This is in the process of changing as the new 24 rego aircraft start comming on line. While I cannot speak for the other importers I know that the new owner of the recently sold Super Petrel is planning to train (Gold Coast area) as soon as he can add the indorsement to his Instructors ticket. At the same time a Instructor at Warwick will become qualified ASAP on my demo.

If you look at the Seaplane Pilots Assoc web site you will find some other contacts for training (or ask RA Aus). A lot of these are GA orientated but can do both.

As for Sydney area for dry hire your best bet at this time would probably be via the Sea Ray rep, however the main problem is that the vast majority of the small number of amphibians currently in Australia including the two older model Super Petrel's in the Sydney area are 19 rego (kit) aircraft.

I think I can say that ANY of the importers of 24 rego amphibians INCLUDING ME would just love to supply as many aircraft suitable for training and hire as people want (for a suitable financial contributation)!

Guest Maj Millard

Nice to hear HEON, As far as I'm concerened the Petrel is a worthy and welcome addition to our choice of aircraft here in Oz. I viewed the flying videos on the petrel site and the aircraft gets off and on the water effortlessly, and is no doubt a well tried and proven design.

Good luck mate, and I will certainly drop into Warrick next time I'm down that way, instead of just admiring the airport from above as I go by............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Dazza its not required, I operated seaplanes out of QLD for two years in the end I had a coxwain but you do not need anything, its a black hole as far as maritime are concerned.

Black Rod - No restrictions on operating privately from Lake Mac you may have issues if you have to build a boat ramp but if your waterfront is suitable to lower the gear and taxi up you would have no problems (except if your neighbours complain!) Where abouts is your house? I was living up at Summerland point for work for a while its a magic part of the world!

Dazza its not required, I operated seaplanes out of QLD for two years in the end I had a coxwain but you do not need anything, its a black hole as far as maritime are concerned.Black Rod - No restrictions on operating privately from Lake Mac you may have issues if you have to build a boat ramp but if your waterfront is suitable to lower the gear and taxi up you would have no problems (except if your neighbours complain!) Where abouts is your house? I was living up at Summerland point for work for a while its a magic part of the world!

Realy, i must have got duff info, when i did my boats licence, at VMR at Southport.(Dont remember when, around 2004 i think)Its wasnt in the exam or anything.I just asked the instructor.He said, when it is on the water, it is a boat, and all boat rules apply, and everybody must have a licence operating a boat with 6 hp or more engine. (apart from sailing boats).

Anyway thanks for clearing that up.Cheers

Here you go Dazza, seen at YJCW this morning.... very nice looking machine, with an impressive finish. I look forward to getting some waterborne photos.keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Thanks Mate, i do like them alot.I could see myself flying one of those.It remines me, of the days, Years ago, when Barry Siglely operated A Drifter on floats, on the coomera river. They would be very practical for us, living on the Gold Coast.Well anywhere on the Coast around Australia.I wonder what insurance is like?

If someone could tell me how I would post more photos.Will come back on questions later

Email them to me if you like and I'll put them up - tomo at recreationalflying dot com dot au

From the Seaplane Pilots Association website :

Do you need a boat licence to operate a seaplane?

Yes, as the aircraft will be travelling at around typically 40 knots for take-off and landing you will need a Boat Drivers Licence. This is obtained through Waterways and is a simple matter of studying their free booklet and sitting a multi choice exam.

This I believe is a NSW statement - and is the same information I was given when investigating my GA floating hull endorsement.

Yes.... thats what the Seaplane Pilot assc says but it is incorrect! In Melbourne you used to require a commercial boat licence and to register the aircraft as a boat but not anymore. Maritime are happy that the training you recieve when you do your endo is sufficient for operating the aircraft. Some people who do the endo's like you to do it so you have a basic knowledge but its not hard to make it part of the training.

Fishing? Trolling? Bait and hopefully fish storage!

Have seen a number of mainly Canadian amphibians with electric motors and even canoes strapped to them. Also saw photos on why you do not leave fish in your aircraft in Canada...bears!

My understanding (QLD) is boat licence YES...boat rego NO

I was talking to a bloke from Tasmania a while ago who said he had not put the wheels down for three years...if the rain does not stop soon in SEQld it could be the same here.

Yes.... thats what the Seaplane Pilot assc says but it is incorrect! In Melbourne you used to require a commercial boat licence and to register the aircraft as a boat but not anymore. Maritime are happy that the training you recieve when you do your endo is sufficient for operating the aircraft. Some people who do the endo's like you to do it so you have a basic knowledge but its not hard to make it part of the training.

I guess its really a state by state thing as the maritime authorities are state based organisations. Waterways in NSW does not seem to be as enlightened as the Vic one - did some more looking and the current NSW boating handbook on the Waterways website has under its special areas page :

Seaplanes

Seaplanes when on the water are just like

any other vessel. They are subject to all the

restrictions and privileges of other boats and

conduct their operations accordingly. Like other

boat operators, seaplane pilots hold marine

boating licences to operate a vessel at speeds in

excess of 10 knots. Don’t be alarmed if a small

seaplane alights or takes off in the waterways

near you. Seaplane pilots are specially trained

and qualified to operate upon the water. If

you’re running straight, don’t suddenly change