Super Petrel LS

HEON

Super Petrel LS on the Gold Coast

Hello all,

after picking up 24-7997 from Peter on the 17th September I have clocked around 42 hours and some 52 water landings on lakes rivers bays and dams throughout Qld and NSW.

So far we have visited TinCan Bay near Fraser Island Bribie Island and Rathmines on Lake MacQuarie

Only A couple of minor issues with the aircraft loose wire and a fault gauge but all easily fixed within 10 minutes.

Apart from that the aircraft is superb and and is all that aI wished for.

Longest hop was 2.75 hours solid and very comfortable and we would have hopped out earlier if it wasnt for a howling 25 Knots over Ballina that stopped us landing on the river near town.

At the moment we are exploring the Qld coast for any cafes and resturants on the water were we can pull into beach the plane and walk in for breaky over looking the water.

So far 4 places have come in trumps, and we would have more if not for the crappy weather.

Photos of some of our adventuresin the last month ( Oct / Nov ) are attached.

The last pic is the aircraft parked in a car park near the boat ramp in the middle of Port Macquarie behind the shopping center ( Bi Lo) just over the tail is the fish and chip shop where we had lunch. The boat ramp is just 15 metres in front of the aircraft nose.

My instructors rating is just a week away and any interest for a TIF is welcome.

Rohan

570881389_DUNWHICH029.thumb.jpg.23780be911e0bc5db7cd2bfa72828867.jpg

9591404_TINCANBAYTRIP011.thumb.jpg.23e8e06486fa3afe257ab7496763ac5d.jpg

421149018_TINCANBAYTRIP039.thumb.jpg.050da6aa6af1b7acc1645dd232664b7b.jpg

486451838_SouthStraddieMelbCupdaysundown010.thumb.jpg.b121cbe634dcec34768f39ab64a964e1.jpg

1077614783_BoatrampCarparkinPortMacquarie.thumb.jpg.d8b2f5b059408ba388194d67770bf020.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myself and mate went to Wedderburn last weekend. Returned fully coastal from Sydney which was just fantastic.

While at Wedderburn Jay (based there) in his 19 rego Petrel 100 (previous model) entered and did "donuts" in the dam a couple of times. He rearly showed how easy it was to control; even with quite a strong wind blowing. Will have to do some practice before trying it myself...no reverse in a Petrel.

Now over 150 water landings undertaken by myself and the two Warwick Instructors who have completed their WH qualifications in my Petrel. Love that water!

Explain Donuts please, is that just round and around in circleson the step?

OK My next big trip is Gold Coast - lake Eyre - Adeaide - Strahan (Tasmania ) Melbourne - Sydney - Gold Coast. , over two weeks starting day after boxing day 2010.

till looking for a suitable passenger ( victim to share cost and put up with me for two weeks.

I have a only a few contacts and places to stay Adelaide but I do need some places to stay in Hobart and other places around Tassie if possible if you know of anyone.

Also is there anyone in Melbourne or in Victoria or Sydney interested in putting us ( 2 ) up.

We can recriprocate on the Gold Coast if any ones is planning a flying trip up this way.

Donut=variant spelling of doughnut=anything shaped like a ring.

Ring=a circular path or course.

In the context of my post, Jay was going around in circles on a quite small dam. With a wind blowing this is not easy and needs a pilot who knows what he is doing, and an aircraft with good control authority which the Petrel has as you know. He was mostly off the step as the dam is small.

"Twas I" in 24-7997 We had departed from Jacobs well at 8 am and landed at southern end of Bribie Island for a Breakfast at a liitle Cafe ( Blue Anchorage " right on the beach.

Then we headed off to Tin Can Bay by way of Double Island point and a touch and go off the liitle lagoon near the headland.

At Tincan we landed near the the Yacht club and anchored just off the VMR station before wandering into town for a bite to eat.

Heading home another touch and go at that little lagoon then an ice cream stop over at Mooloolaba and we were back at Jacobs Well in a little over 1.5 hours later in the afternoon.

Most surprising was transiting the CTA at Maroochydore which was an excellent leg coastal at 500' then on the way back a diversion through CTA by the tower to fly right over the top of the tower without transponder.

All in all a pleasant day out.

• 1 month later...

Heon,I wasn`t aware of this thread untill tonight.

Beautifull aircraft,I`d have one tomorrow if I could.

I`ve held a boat licence and have been boating for most of my life and still do,an amphibian was what I realy wanted when I started recreational flying but for various reasons it just never happened.

I have flown a Drifter on floats but of course this would be completely different to the Super Petrel.

I sincearly hope that amphibian training within RAA does take off.

Cheers,

Frank.

Heon,I wasn`t aware of this thread untill tonight.Beautifull aircraft,I`d have one tomorrow if I could.

I`ve held a boat licence and have been boating for most of my life and still do,an amphibian was what I realy wanted when I started recreational flying but for various reasons it just never happened.

I have flown a Drifter on floats but of course this would be completely different to the Super Petrel.

I sincearly hope that amphibian training within RAA does take off.

Cheers,

Frank.

So do I Frank.Thats the plan this year.To add a water endo to my Certificate. Especialy when one is available on the Gold Coast.:thumb_up:

Guest skidmark1975
My instructors rating is just a week away and any interest for a TIF is welcome.

PICK ME!!!!

how did the rating go, I would LOVE a TIF

A couple of points on amphibious training. You will have noted Rowan's (AmpbibianDreamer) posts on training (he owns a Super Petrel LS).

The Dec/Jan edition of RA Aus magazine has an article "Amphibious Training Takes Off" which is about two instructors in Warwick now qualified. They have axcess to my Super Petrel LS, and will travel the eastern seaboard to teach on your RA Aus registered amphibian/seaplane. More details on my web site www.superpetrelaustralia.com

This web site has been updated in Jan 11 and lists the latest options available on the Super Petrel, as well as a lot of other information.

While I have not flown a Drifter on floats I have the fittings on mine so I can do this with little effort in the future. Would have to get a float endorsement as well as a water hull...we may even offer it in the future for training at Warwick as my Fisher Mk 1 rego number is 24-7437!

YES, Wayne Fisher HAS approval to MANUFACTURE "Fisher Drifters"...24 rego thus suitable for TRAINING! A rebirth of a classic. He even had one with floats in Dec...probably still there for lookers.

As the latest "Supplier" thought I had better explain "HEON" which I plan to keep using.

HEON should be written HeO2N2 which are the chemical symbols for helium, oxygen, and nitrogen. In the past I spent a lot of time breathing this (trimix) while deep diving. What I used to call my dive boat.

Now I fly amphibians I am making a lot of effort not to require it again!

Thanks for the Information Peter.I always wondered why your user name was HEON. I looked at Wayne's web site for the latest information on the 24 Drifter.But it looks like the web site hasnt changed over the last couple of years. That would be good, if or when you put floats on yours.Float endorsment in the Drifter and water hull in the Super Petrel could go and have a couple of weeks holiday at Warrick and knock both endo's over at the same time .:thumb_up:

Just a note on Wayne's web site. Person who set it up not connected to him any more.

He took photos of mine just prior to Christmas thus probably add or something may happen soon.

He answers his phone and emails though.

HEON should be written HeO2N2 which are the chemical symbols for helium, oxygen, and nitrogen. In the past I spent a lot of time breathing this (trimix) while deep diving. HEON,off topic I know but I`ve spent a lot of my life as a recreational diver and if you don`t mind, I`m interested to know how deep you dived.

Frank

Frank: deepest was 120m on USS Atlanta (CL-51) scuttled after Battle of Savo Islands 13 Nov 42 at Guadalcanal. On rebreather set at partial pressure of O2 of 1.45 ...around 3:15 or 3:45hr deco (for around 15min of bottom time) I think if memory correct

i have a 5 acre block right next to the whitsunday wave airpark,my dream is to build a bed and breakfast for aviators and buy a super petrel LS for hire.the more pilots who are interested let me know!!!!!! let me know a.s.a.p and ill go and buy one.just think 74 islands,reefs,beachs bays etc [ATTACH]12921.vB[/ATTACH] regards glenn, give me a call to express your interest 0410793260

813250979_glennspad.jpg.58bab07bf18a0b67e29bb86d2a4e5821.jpg

Guest burbles1

Nice to see that the Super Petrel got a mention in Feb's Pacific Flyer, when one at the Catalina Festival, Rathmines, had "tremendous interest shown".

Heard that an amphibian had a mayday with gear fail and made a water landing at Redcliffe in the past week or so... was it a Petrel??

Trying to get a test flight with the Petrel but the weather is sh!t lately..

Cheers, Matt

Was not I...and nothing reported to me, but will inquire and report if it was. Regardless of which make I bet he was glad he had an option...Not said but assume water landing OK?

Anyone know what it was?

Matt; I know what you mean...getting over the range (and expecting to get back) has been as easy as getting all the numbers in Powerball for ages. Give me a call when comming.