Typical Outlanding Mistake

Can anybody pick the common mistake that the pilot made in this outlanding? Yes, that's right - the pilot cramped the circuit and did not do his checks with the result that he forgot to put his wheel down!

Without knowing the full story I would say he did a good job to get out alive landing amongst houses and wires with those big long wings that gliders are prone to have......

And I'm sure he looked both ways at the Give way sign too.

How can you make any value judgment from that very un-detailed news article.... I would hate to be a defendant in your court Exadios ... unless of course you have evidence that we don't see in that article.David.

PS. I would take Nev with his experience as my CFI ANYDAY.

I do not mean what you think I do. I mean the opposite.

Central issue?

I would have to be convinced that having the wheel down would have made any difference to the outcome, in a positive way

. It could be argued that the glider would stop quicker with it up, with stick forward. It would be a question of how effective the brake was, and whether operating the brake would have distracted his attention from the aim of hitting the posts with the wings and slowing down that way.

Taking the wings off evenly was always the technique that was recommended to me to use in rough country. ..Nev

I would have to be convinced that having the wheel down would have made any difference to the outcome, in a positive way. It could be argued that the glider would stop quicker with it up, with stick forward. It would be a question of how effective the brake was, and whether operating the brake would have distracted his attention from the aim of hitting the posts with the wings and slowing down that way.

Taking the wings off evenly was always the technique that was recommended to me to use in rough country. ..Nev

\[sigh\]

• 1 month later...
Armchair comment/ i think i would have tried for a uphill landing on the grass rather than on the flat with the rocks.

We in Australia have it very easy. In NZ they hold their comps in areas where the choice is land on grassed cliffs or flats covered with rocks the size of houses.

Actually, I don't know if the wheel is up or down. I think I would leave it up with the hope that the aircraft would skip from rock to rock.

Fortunately the pilot got away with a broken ankle only.