Props

Wilfred

Changing props

I thought Jabiru recommended wooden props because of their vibration absorption; how do composite props do in this regard?

My aircraft is LSA so I cannot consider a change anyway. However, operating in FNQ, small showers can appear out of nowhere and all the stories you read of the problems with the Jabiru prop and rain make me very cautious.

Regards

Alan

There is technically nothing stopping you from fitting a non-standard Jabiru Prop (apart from legal reasons).

There are many Jabiru's out there with non-standard props.

I spoke to Don in engines only just this last week about the same issue. He said that they had spent a lot of money testing their aicraft with the original wooden props and as a result had no immediate intentions of spending more money to test the myriad of other props that are available. He said it's 'buyer beware,' but you are free to do what you want, but if you do, try and get a guarantee of sorts from the prop manufacturer. He also said that a non-Jab prop will void the engine warranty.

You need to remember that there are thousands of other direct drive engines out there that are running glass, carbon and metal props without problems.

My personal opinion is that if you can't run anything other than the timber prop due to their requirements, then Jabiru have a lot of work to do on their engines.

That being said I know of a couple of places with props for Jabs, there is Boyd May selling 'Revolution' props in 2 or 3 blade format Carbon Fibre solid (900 grams per blade) and Michael Coates sells Woodcomp SR2000 and SR3000 (available as reversible too) which are timber with carbon coating. I have flown behind one of these and it seems to do the job ok, but I feel that in some rain it could get damaged and reveal timber, unlike the Revolution ones which are solid Carbon fibre.

When we tested the Sensenich carbon fiber prop, one of the design criteria was to maintain the same rotating moment of inertia as a standard Jabiru wood with FG coating prop. The flight tests confirmed that the vibration modes are all within the specifications set by Jabiru. I understand the factory has recieved and flown the Sensenich carbon fiber prop and has approved their use.

The prop I tested, and the production unit I now have, also have the nickel leading edge so showers will not be an issue, during the frequent summer cells that pop up in Florida. When it get to cumulo-nimbusing I'm long gone and on the ground.

I did a search for your prop model number Jim, but nothing came up in google. Can you provide a web link and or pricing? I'm in the market for a carbon prop at the moment.

• 1 year later...
Guest Dennis Borchardt

Regarding your question about the Sensenich ground adjustable prop, we use them on the Lightnings in Aust & USA with good results. Jabiru USA & Jabiru Aust .sanction the use of this prop on there engines.

Guest Dennis Borchardt

We have fitted the Sensenich Carbon fibre prop (ground adjustable ) to the 6 & 4 cylinder Jabiru engines with excellent results.

Dennis Borchardt, Lightning Aircraft Australia.

Airmaster in Auckland are working on a 2-blade VP prop to use the Sensenich blades. Although the hub will be quite heavy (probably 8 kgs or so), that's all along the centre so doesn't make much contribution to the rotational inertia. I would guess that this prop will come in at or close to Jab's rotational inertia stated limit .....

Sooooo easy to keep spending money :-)

• 2 weeks later...

A word of warning, the Sensenich W64ZK51G is designed around the U S A's L S A speed limit of 120 knots (it's a bit fine for the J230D I use 56" but a 53" is available). Jabiru sell a range of Sensenich wooden props with pitches more suited to Aust. ops at a very reasonable price. They will L S A approve them on all but the J160.

Guest Dennis Borchardt

The senseich ground adjustable prop. we use on the 6 cyl. Jab. engine is a 2AOJ5R64ZN, the Composite covered Wooden propWC62FK-58.

Ground adjustable prop. for the 4cyl.Jab engine R62HN.

Dennis Borchardt. Lightning Aircraft Australia.