Corrosion- internaly in Tail Boom.A/c operating on floats in Salt water.

dazza 38

Hi guys, i read a FAA, report on a Maxair drifter(yesterday), on which the Tail separated from the fuselage.Due to internal corrosion inside the boom.The A/c was operated extensively on Salt water.Which would have significantly increased corrosion.The article went on to say, how difficult it was to inspect the internals of the Boom.I was wondering to all the Drifter drivers out there.Is there a inspection of the internals at a certain airframe hour, or calender time?. I dont have a maintence manual. I was thinking, it wouldnt hurt to inspect the internals, with a bore-a-scope to have a look.

I love the drifters, they are a strong a/c.I just posted this, to let guys know about the FAA report, and general interest.

Hi Dazza . the FAA report has been around for a few years.(unless there has been another incident) The corrosion was caused by electrolosis between the boom and dissimilar metals forming attach points onto the boom. The internals of the boom are almost impossible to inspect unless you drill into a non stressed part if it and run a bore scope into it, as the front is closed out by the rudder pedal support bar and the rear by the rudder tail post, all riveted. There was a MSB issued in the late 90's on all Austflight SB drifters (see AUF SB page) as there had been at least two cases of high time training aircraft with snapped booms (I did see two of them and it was frightening!) These were caused by (cyclical) stress however, I believe the the maxair failure was in the same location. Boonah is the old home of Austflight I am sure there would be locals there that can fill you in on the story.

Cheers

Thanks mate, Yes it was a while ago,as you have mentioned,above i fly at boonah, i used to fly there back there as well, when Jim Fenton Made the Ausflight Drifters 1989/1990.I had a big break from flying between.1990 to 1996. This one was fatal, to the pilot.I thought i would post it for general Information.To be quite honest, even thought i look at Drifters alot at Boonah (havent flown one since 1990.) until i read the article, i didnt how difficult it would be for a internal inspection.Until i read your post above.Thank you

Yep the good old days.... Jim Fenton CEO and Dick Eacott Chief Engineer the dayeeezzzz of decent people with a passion for (affordable) aviation. Took it to China to keep it affordable and were screwed by the US .com bubble.............. Wall St. should be bulldozed!!!.... The bludgers keep tripping over their own p**cks!!!! and STILL feel no pain!!!!

Cheers

I still See Mr Eacott, at Boonah.He services Airsports Aircraft. He is so Switched On. Remember when Jim had the Wilga, at Boonah.Its ashame about the China thing.Those were the good old days, when you had to taxi, across the road to the strip.Its like "hang on theres a car coming". lol.I flew with Marc Auer, back then.

I still See Mr Eacott, at Boonah.He services Airsports Aircraft. He is so Switched On. Those were the good old days, when you had to taxi, across the road to the strip.Its like "hang on theres a car coming".

Off Topic...But...I`m real pleased to read that Richard Eacott is still involved in keeping recreational Aviation,dare I say, 'Ultralight Aircraft', going,he helped me plenty over the years.

There`s an 80 year old cane farmer, a couple of kilometers up the road towards Cairns, who was the first guy to buy an uncertified Austflight Drifter up here,Richard would know him,he had half the farm on one side of the Bruce highway and the other half on the other side,Yep,wouldn`t you know it, the strip was across the road,cops talked to him about driving it across several times,he just kept on doing it,they got sick of it,forgot about it,as he said,it was safer to drive it across than to push it,pushing is legal,nearly got cleaned up by cars a couple of times in the late afternoon though.

He no longer has to cross the road as the strip is on the same side as the hanger and at 80 years of age he is still capable and loves flying that Drifter.

I wonder how many 80 year old Drifter (Drivers) pilots there are out there?

Frank