Blanik L13 grounding

Guest studentbiggles
unofficil translation[/url].

Hi Exadios.....I've tried to download translation of the above but no can do....would love to hear the latest details so I can pass onto my instructor....great condtons here @ Yren for a weekend soar in the beautiful old girl....watched the pelicans last Sunday just up there having fun....God their a great learning tool as they hunt for thermals.

Cheers and Soar High..Alley (Studentbiggles)...011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Hopefully this makes sense -

· Search warrant production organization Part 21 POA No CZ.21G.0043

· Search warrant maintenance organization Part 145 MOA No. CZ.145.0038

· Certificate Maintenance Training Organisation Part 147 MTO No CZ.147.0010

· Search warrant design organization Part 21 DOA No. EASA.21J.119

· Search warrant organizations to test aircraft CAA-TI-012-n/99, L-3-059 / n

Aircraft Industries, Inc., in beds 1177, 686 04 Kunovice

Tel.: +420 572 816002 Fax: +420 572 816006 E-mail: [email protected] Aircraft Industries - LET, AIRCRAFT INDUSTRIES, KUNOVICE, AIRPORT

Company registered in the Commercial Register of the Regional Court in Brno, Section B, Insert 4444

ID: 27174841 Tax ID: CZ27174841

Kunovice September 30, 2010

OPINION Aircraft Industries, Inc. ON THE ISSUES restore airworthiness

GLIDERS L 13 and L 13 A

In relation to the accident glider L 13 sn 175,117 12th in Austria June 2010, where the first findings

first led investigators to suspect the fatigue cracks on the left wing flange fracture

In the junction with the hinge leaf and also identified a significant strain due to high canopy

acrobatic flight frequency of about 8% of the last 400 hours of operation (with the previous close

2000 hours of operation not found any records at all) to the attention of gliders

and certification agencies rightly focused on the problem of fatigue life of the glider and conditions

her license.

Investigation of the accident is still not officially closed.

Aircraft Industries, and within that context stresses that the life L 13 gliders and other

related types is based on the concept of safe life, which was established

based on fatigue tests glider design and fatigue tests of samples, which were the

applied cyclic loading derived from the published average operating conditions in the operating

Documentation gliders. In the event that actual operating conditions of the glider down

operating conditions deviate towards greater burden on the glider (as a percentage nedodrženým

acrobatics, etc.), safe life glider drops significantly below the value of life.

Following the issue of Mandatory L13/109a and EASA AD 2010-0119 E-revealed that many

gliders L 13 does not or applies only incomplete records of actual

gliders operating conditions. This situation gives no opportunity to assess what proportion of fatigue

life has been exhausted the existing operations and what part remains available, which is contrary

with the concept of safe fatigue life.

In this situation, taking into account the finding that visual inspection of the critical binding site required

Newsletter L13/109a is unable to ensure reliable identification of any cracks, the certification

jointly, agree with the AI considers that the appropriate way to restore the airworthiness of gliders

L 13 and L 13 and the development, certification and deployment of NDT methods can reliably identify

any incipient cracks in critical areas glider design, together with the determination of the periodicity

controls on tests and analyzing the speed of crack propagation at critical locations and determining residual

structural strength in critical areas.

Company Aircraft Industries, Inc. in cooperation with the Research and Testing Institute in Prague air

preparing a system of checks using the "eddy current". Given that the critical point is hidden below the

two layers of sheet metal and flat head rivet means of control processing of evidence

more time consuming.

Airworthiness News

Am I correct in assuming that GFA says they are effectively grounded for Hire, aeros are out and they need a mandatory inspection in order to keep their airworthiness because the wing failed apparently due to fatigue of one in Austria?

I guess they were never designed to be anything but a cheap aerobatic club workhorse.

Guest studentbiggles

Thanks for that info Tomo, I've printed off and I'll pass onto Jim......How have you been? Flying heaps? Not me I'm afraid .

When are you ever comimg over our way? Be great to meet and catch up.

Fly ans Kep Safe.................Alley

• 1 month later...

Hi all this is a copy of recent info on the Blaniks which I received yesterday. Cheers Mike.

For anyone interested in progress on getting the world’s L-13 fleet back in the air, this article from the Soaring Society of America seems to hold out a glimmer of hope for next year:

As most SSA members and users of the ubiquitous L-13 Blanik know, this

glider has been the subject of a number of manufacturer's Mandatory

Service Bulletins and Airworthiness Directives issued by the European

Aviation Safety Administration EASA), and more recently by the FAA.

Currently most of the world's fleet of L-13's is grounded.

At the request of SSA and numbers of other organizations and operators

around the world, the holder of the current Type Certificate (Aircraft

Industries in Kunovice, Czech Republic) has provided the following

statement:

Kunovice September 30, 2010

OPINION Aircraft Industries, a.s. on the means to restore airworthiness

of GLIDERS L 13 and L 13 A

With regard to the accident glider L 13 sn 175117 (in Austria 12 June

2010), where the initial findings first led investigators to suspect

the fatigue cracks associated with fracture of the left wing flange

where it joins the hinge leaf; and also identified a significant strain

due to high overall acrobatic flight frequency of about 8% of the last

400 hours of operation (with the previous roughly 2000 hours of

operation not having any records at all) - to the attention of

operators and certification agencies concerned with the problem of

fatigue life of the glider and criteria for its certification.

Investigation of the accident is still not officially closed.

Aircraft Industries, as manufacturer, stresses that the service life of

L 13 gliders and other related types is based on the concept of safe

life, which was established based on fatigue tests of the glider and

fatigue tests of samples. Tests consisted of applied cyclic loading

derived from the published average operating conditions in the glider's

operational documentation. In the event that actual operating

conditions of the glider deviate towards greater burden on the glider

(the frequency of improper acrobatics, etc.), safe life of the glider

drops significantly below the standard service life.

Following the issue of Mandatory Bulletin L13/109a and EASA AD

2010-0119-E, it was revealed that many gliders L 13 have missing or

incomplete records of actual operating conditions. This situation

precludes the ability to assess what proportion of fatigue life has

been exhausted and what part remains available, which is contrary to

the concept of safe fatigue life.

In this situation, taking into account the finding that visual

inspection of the critical binding site required by Bulletin L13/109a

is unable to ensure reliable identification of all cracks, Aircraft

Industries a.s. considers that the appropriate way to restore the

airworthiness of gliders L 13 and L 13A is the development,

certification and deployment of NDT methods that can reliably identify

any incipient cracks in critical areas, together with the determination

of periodic tests and analysis of the speed of crack propagation at

critical locations to determine residual structural strength in

critical areas. Aircraft Industries a.s., in cooperation with the

Research and Testing Institute in Prague is preparing a system of

checks using the "eddy current" technique. Given that the critical

point is hidden below the two layers of sheet metal and flat head

rivets, the development of the means of processing the data is more

time consuming.

Aircraft Industries a.s. expects to restore the airworthiness of

gliders with proper operational records, by implementation of approved

NDT methods with satisfactory results. Furthermore, we assume that the

method will be verified and approved in early 2011.

Gliders with non-existent or incomplete operational records will

probably be subject to periodic checks. We expect that this will be

approved at the end of the first quarter of 2011.

The proposed way to restore the airworthiness of gliders is subject to

approval by EASA."

SSA is concerned about the reliability of Blanik L-13's since nearly

200 are owned and operated in the United States. Meanwhile, the

manufacturer, as stated above, expects to determine appropriate

inspections and methods of declaring them airworthy again. The FAA's

Small Airplane Directorate in Kansas City, MO has investigated the

matter in depth and has published a multi-page informational bulletin

which, due to its length, is published in the News Section of the SSA's

website Soaring Society of America, the source for Gliding in the USA <http://Soaring Society of America, the source for Gliding in the USA>. This document is unusual in

its detail and clarity

and SSA thanks the Small Airplane Directorate, and in particular Greg

Davison the author, for their understanding and help.

The FAA Airworthiness Directives, also published on SSA's web page,

allow for proposed Alternative Methods of Compliance (AMOC's) and

provide a method for their submission. Although these AMOC's likely

also need to be approved by Aircraft Industries, they may provide an

accelerated method of getting Blaniks in the air again. SSA urges

individuals and companies with the appropriate engineering expertise to

contact the FAA and propose methods of compliance through them.

SSA will continue to publish information as it arrives on the SSA web

site in order to provide the quickest dissemination.

Jim Short,

SSA Aircraft Certification Subcommittee

October 22, 2010

• 1 month later...

Hi all This is the latest update by the president of the Gliding Federation Australia. A glimer of hpe and will be good to see the Blaniks getting back into the air.

Blanik GroundingThe worldwide grounding of all Blaniks continues to be a problem for many Australian gliding clubs, as it is internationally. The Type Certificate holder is working on a fix which in all probability will be an inspection regime focussing on possible cracks in the wing structure. The only information available at this time is that something may be available early in 2011. GFA has been working with both CASA and Dafydd Llewelyn, the holder of the STC for the modification of Blaniks to L13A1, what is generally known as the "Llewellyn mod". The possibility of a CASA approved exclusion from the worldwide AD for aircraft which have had the full conversion to L13A1 is being considered but more work is required and if it comes to fruition initially it will be limited to a very few specific aircraft. Blanik owners will be advised of any developments.

Cheers ; Merry Xmas and best wishes and plenty of good flying weather for 2011.

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

The Llewellyn modified L13A1 Blaniks have been cleared for flight again (CASA 10/14335 dated 4/2/2011) subject to gaining an exemption from the EASA (AD) 2010-0185-E and subject to a couple of conditions. There are currently eight such modified gliders in Australia. This clearing is due to a lot of work by Dafydd Llewellyn and CASA who assisted the Gliding Federation of Australian in successfully gaining the exemption. Further details are on the GFA webb site.

Cheers and safe flying

Mike

FAI Awards received by Alan PATCHING (Australia) | Fédération Aéronautique Internationale - FAI[/url]Blaniks have been around a long while now. Aluminium will fatigue - just a question of when.

Quite a "blast from the past" moment, DJP. Alan was doing his stuff with Blaniks when I was flying them out of Euroa in the early 1980's as a much younger Asst Instructor.

I just went and pulled my old log book out and reminisced about the good times with Mike Valentine, John Viney, Peter Johnson and Gerry Rim.

I did a lot of aeros, some of them a tad "experimental" to say the least with Gerry in GUG, GBJ and and GOY. I also did a Holden Statesman advert with Peter which involved us flying two Blaniks side-by-side on aerotow behind GM's (then) finest. This got a bit boring after numerous re-takes so Peter and I both pulled up a bit harder and lifted the back wheels of the Statesman off the ground which proved too exciting for the very unimpressed driver.

<sigh> I remember when....

kaz

• Like 1

It was at YCHT, outside the hangar, not tied down properly and the 130km+ winds we got from the cyclone was too much for it, i didnt realise until yesterday, but the ol rope return car got flattened by it as well, i think they got it yesterday i was out there this morning and its gone now.

• 1 month later...

There is an article in the March Gilding International titled "Kazakhstan - Where the Blaniks are still flying!" So, all you Blanik owners - you know where you can go :big_grin:

(Just kidding.)

• 1 month later...

More information in the on going Blanik saga. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read the FAQ to discover the cost and how many original hours are re-installed - 3750h. So, if your Blanik already has more than the original design hours, you are up sh.... well I think you know where you are.

More information in the on going Blanik saga. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read the FAQ to discover the cost and how many original hours are re-installed - 3750h. So, if your Blanik already has more than the original design hours, you are up sh.... well I think you know where you are.

Thanks for update.

Thats more good news.

Cheers

Mike

• 10 months later...
For those of you who are hanging out for some information about the L13 grounding here is an opinion from the factory. Unfortunately it in in Czech. Maybe someone on this board who speaks Czech can tell the rest of us what it says.

Hi Exadios

My Blanik L13A-1, VH-GPS, was back up in the air last Saturday. It was great to have her back up. I'm looking forward to many flights again this year and perhaps get the 300 kms done. I think this will be the third or fourth one back on line out of the original Llewlyn modified Blaniks.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 3

Hi Blueadventures, great to hear your girl is back up in the "Big Blue Shed"........I sooooo miss my training in the Yren's Blanik that was also grounded.

I'm green with envy..............you lucky bugger.................Glide Safe................Alley

Hi ExadiosMy Blanik L13A-1, VH-GPS, was back up in the air last Saturday. It was great to have her back up. I'm looking forward to many flights again this year and perhaps get the 300 kms done. I think this will be the third or fourth one back on line out of the original Llewlyn modified Blaniks.

Cheers

Mike

Congratulations.

• 5 months later...
Bugger, there was one went through eBay for $1500 ,I think, was going to bid on it but pasted it up as " to hard" ,should have got it!Met

Well there has got to be a lot sitting around in trailers now. You know the price. Keep an eye out.

Bugger, there was one went through eBay for $1500 ,I think, was going to bid on it but pasted it up as " to hard" ,should have got it!Met

Hi Met The recently modified Blanik cost $30K and another $6K spent on some paint work and avionics. Therefore the 1.5K Blanik would cost at least $31,500.00 to get airbourne. It is still good value at that price. (One further thing to know is that any Blanik undergoing the modification requires a full inspection of the airframe and wing components and there is a chance of the aircraft not being suitable to modify. By this I mean the first about $14,000 is the cost is for opening up and examining, so it would be a shock to give the go ahead and then find out not suitable and get the 14k invoice. Need to do your homework. And there will quite a number of Blaniks available for a price.

There are some articles on the modification and Jig used in recent past soaring australia magazines. If you want a scan copy PM me with your email and I'll chase up a copy.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Met The recently modified Blanik cost $30K and another $6K spent on some paint work and avionics. Therefore the 1.5K Blanik would cost at least $31,500.00 to get airbourne. It is still good value at that price. (One further thing to know is that any Blanik undergoing the modification requires a full inspection of the airframe and wing components and there is a chance of the aircraft not being suitable to modify. By this I mean the first about $14,000 is the cost is for opening up and examining, so it would be a shock to give the go ahead and then find out not suitable and get the 14k invoice. Need to do your homework. And there will quite a number of Blaniks available for a price.There are some articles on the modification and Jig used in recent past soaring australia magazines. If you want a scan copy PM me with your email and I'll chase up a copy.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike, but I get Soaring Australia mags myself and I have read them. There is a risk in buying a Blanik for mod as you say. If I was in the market for a Blanik this alone would be enough to put me off. So, I think that they are history, I'm afraid. Its a pity because they trained a couple of generations of pilots.

Thanks Mike, but I get Soaring Australia mags myself and I have read them. There is a risk in buying a Blanik for mod as you say. If I was in the market for a Blanik this alone would be enough to put me off. So, I think that they are history, I'm afraid. Its a pity because they trained a couple of generations of pilots.

I have some fond memories of this fine aircraft. What will become of them? Its a bit like the end of WWII, when vast numbers were scrapped. A tiny few ended up mounted on poles. Even some of them were later removed and presumably forgotten.