Sapphire Landings

oracle1

I own an older sapphire that has no flaps and no spoilers. It is a challenge to land and so far I am very wary of it. Does anyone have any details or drawings of how to fit spoilers to the aircraft. I really like the aircraft but the way it is at the moment its dangerous and asking for trouble. It has a points ignition 447 which will be replaced with a 503 if I keep the aircraft but its decision time as to whether I spend the money and make the aircraft right or sell it. Anyone got a set of flapped wings for sale or parts please let me know.

I have an early Sapphire as well, still haven't flown yet, want to get my experience up a bit first.

I've heard of someone who fitted a simple flaps/form drag device to the wheel struts, and also another version that pops up behind the pilot in the area between the wings.

My Sapphire has the motor positioned the right way up (not inverted) so this creates more drag than others and supposedly easier landing characteristics.

I dont have any pictures so hope someone else out there can help.

Do you have a copy of an operating handbook ?

Art

Hey mate, do you mind telling what you find a challenge in landing it?

I've never flown one, but think they look like a pretty cool little aircraft, and was curious.

no problem

I have a sapphire with no flaps or spoilers.

Yes it does float on when landing - but I got used to it pretty quickly, and after a while I realised I wasn't worried about it after all.

I used to side slip a fair bit prior to reaching the threshold, and I have on occasions side slipped nearly up to the point of stall.

What's wrong with the 447 ? Mine pushes the plane along at 83 knots cruise - full canopy, but no spats.

Jack.keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gifkeen.gif.7777ed0d05dcd20861d93166f822038e.gif

points to make

points are not unreliable if you service them, and are far easier to troubleshoot so I would not condemn an engine on that basis.

Re landing without much drag. It's easy to get into the habit of landing a bit fast, so you will use a lot of runway floating with things like jabiru's and Sapphires, IF you do. At the other end of the scale it is certainly not wise to be slow, particularly in gusty/thermally conditions. Speed control is the answer and don't have the engine idling too fast. Nev