Firewall forward kit for Jabiru/Rotax 912

zodiac3813

UL Power 350iS (130hp) out the front of a Jab 430 would be brilliant. If needed the software in the EFI could be rewritten (or black box added) to time limit the engine to 5 mins @ 130, then progressively throttle back to 120hp per LSA regs. Or would you only need to placard such a limitation and be allowed to do it manually?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been flying an lsa 55 that was certified with an 80hp Rotax for 5 years, it is one done at Rockhampton. Never had any trouble, good airframe with great reliable motor and warp drive 3 blade carbon prop. For weight and balance the oil tank is behind the pasenger seat and battery is behind the fuel tank.

Do you have any pictures of the fit up of the engine ?,How did you get a 55 rego plane changed to a rotax mtr ? i was told by Jabiru I could even change the heads on my 55 rego to LCH

Hi Hendonguy,

I am also flying an LSA 55 which was at one time fitted with a Rotax at Rockhampton. My logbook says 912 Rotax fitted 1/6/1996 as per AG & S Grills STC 208-1 dated 07/12/1995. Aircraft was then being operated by Hedlow Air at Rocky.

Hi Hendonguy,I am also flying an LSA 55 which was at one time fitted with a Rotax at Rockhampton. My logbook says 912 Rotax fitted 1/6/1996 as per AG & S Grills STC 208-1 dated 07/12/1995. Aircraft was then being operated by Hedlow Air at Rocky.

Hi Jem, was your LSA55 once registered VH registered? I am not sure how STC's work on RAus registered aircraft???

Others in the know may be able to clarify this.

Cheers

• 9 months later...

This thread has gone very quiet. At the start of the thread there was talk that a firewall forward kit for Jabiru/Rotax 912 was imminent ! Did anything come of this or was it just someones pipe dream? just wondering

One of the only 2 Jabs fitted with a 912 is now homed at Caboolture I am told. It was bought by one of the schools here...he was sick of engine probs with the other Jabs he has

Caboolture Recreational Aviation have just bought it. The plane is a 160C with a 912ULS. It was converted in 2010 and used for training at Warnervale. I am told takeoff and climb are markedly improved, cruise not very different. The other way to pep up a 160 is to fit a 3300 - this has been done too. I guess that gives it more or less the same performance as a J200 - same wing, shorter but fatter body.

Guest Crezzi
Can the Rotax 912 be fitted to a J120 or would this cause to great a balance issue?

Isn't the J120 certified as an LSA ?

John

• 5 months later...
Can a vh registered jab 430 be converted to rotax 912 uls and still have 700 kg mtow?If not can it be done and swapped to raaus rego and if so into which class and what mtow?

Is the 430 experimental? If so yes it can be done but will require another final inspection and reissue airworthiness certificate. Ok for 700kg. If you want RAAus it will become a 2 sestet Mtow 544kg I believe. If it has been factory built then I do not think it can be changed. Tom

I brought a VH J400 and had it registered as a RAA J200 and the MTOW went from 700kgs to 544kgs and its in the 19 registration category now.

SAJ

In the 19 catagory the owner can vary performance data on aircraft. Information in POH is Jabirus recommendations only as each aircraft varies.

If you modify to reduce stall speed by say 2 kts MTOW can rise to 600 kg

• Like 1

In the 19 catagory the owner can vary performance data on aircraft. Information in POH is Jabirus recommendations only as each aircraft varies.If you modify to reduce stall speed by say 2 kts MTOW can rise to 600 kg

How does one achieve this?

• 3 weeks later...