Importing part built from US

Jay,

The company I work for has been involved in the assembly of a number of aircraft purchased in the US and sent over here in seatainers. We don't actuially have anything to do with the packing, shipping and Customs. These are all arranged by the purchaser.

However, I can tell you the name of the organisation in California that handles all this. The organisation ships heaps of planes around the world, so is not shonky. If you can hang on until Thursday night, I'll send you the contact details.

Old Man Emu

PS

Anyone who wants to get bulky airplane components (engines, timber, fuselage parts) might like to use this organisation too. There's always plenty of space on the floor of these containers.

Another option is to contact a customs clearance agent like Mainfreight International, who are also freight forwarders. We use them regularly for our business, although not that often for sea freight. You need an agent to organise clearance anyway, as well as any applicable import duty and GST.

Guest rocketdriver

I've just brought 2 aircraft in from East coast of Canada. C&H in melbourne organised all of the shipping stuff, including seller packing the container and customs / quarantine on arrival. Highly recomended. Email Shelly Morgan ... [email protected] and say hello from me (and Recreational Flying!). Hasten to add, I have no connection with them otehr than as a satisfied customer.

As for scams, all you can do is to make your own judgement. I researched what I was buying and, after several emails, then rang the seller and let him tell me about them. He immiediately and without prompting told me of a couple of bad things that I already knew ...... And, everything including hand held radios and portable GPS units that were supposed to be in the sale were in the aircraft when they got here ....

As for the aircraft themselves, they are pretty much as described although a bit lacking in paperwork ...... Hmm. Can fix a broken whatsit, but missing paper ...something else I suspect ...

Thanks all for the advice everyone - I see the isuue as not the freight, import duty etc, any freight company can do this , but rather the packing of the container ( usually required within 24 hours ), the quality of the packing re damage,checking of the inventory, the payment transaction, all at arms length. May have to get this brokered...., or get there myself...