Auto pilot in a morgan sierra?

Guernsey

Today after flying in a friends Foxbat at Gawler we were discussing 'Auto Pilots' when he told me a story where a friend of his had gone on a cross country flight in a GA aircraft with three other friends and because the flight was long and boring he fell asleep and woke up 20 minutes later to find that everyone else was asleep. They were on Auto Pilot at the time so what am I getting at.It suddenly hit me that although we thought we had every conceivable bell, whistle and gadget on our Morgan Sierra, we forgot the alarm clock which goes off automatically 5 minutes before our next way point.085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif

That damn Guern again, can he ever be serious.

and ..... with the TRIO autopilot in the Sierra you'll keep orbiting your destination until you wake up, or run out of fuel...and then wake up:oh yeah:

and ..... with the TRIO autopilot in the Sierra you'll keep orbiting your destination until you wake up, or run out of fuel...and then wake up:oh yeah:

hi guys i think its about time i write somthing here all i heve to do is learn how to use the sucker now and from the sounds of things i better buy a alarm clock

kev

hi guys i think its about time i write somthing here all i heve to do is learn how to use the sucker now and from the sounds of things i better buy a alarm clockkev

kev

You'll have to wait as I need to program/calibrate the system when you get the Sierra back here:big_grin:

Jake J

kevYou'll have to wait as I need to program/calibrate the system when you get the Sierra back here:big_grin:

Jake J

hi Jake

i will be going to taree 11/5 to take delivery and flying back 24/5 i will have to organize a time and place to calibrate.It will be good to finally meet you

kev

Hi Son-in-law Kev, good to see you on this site AT LAST. Give all my best to the 'Morgan Family' and don't forget to keep sending photos of the final stages of the build.

Alan.

• 10 months later...

Several weeks ago Kevin (KJFAB) flew his Morgan Sierra on his own from Gawler in SA to Mildura, Parkes, and then on to Taree and said that the Trio Avionics Auto Pilot worked faultlessly, he said that it was so relaxing and he was able to keep a constant check of his position on the map and of course enjoy the view. Whilst it is a luxury it certainly helps when you are flying alone.

Alan.

A good autopilot is a lifesaver Alan! Just try doing NAV or fuel calculations in a gusty headwind halfway across the Nullabor without one ... I know, I've done it (in the Sundowner). My Debonair had an S-TEC 50 autopilot with altitude hold and the workload was much easier. I'm waiting on MGL releasing their proposed firmware to turn my EFIS into an autopilot (just add servos). Do you have altitude hold on the Sierra? If so, where is the servo mounted? John.

A good autopilot is a lifesaver Alan! Just try doing NAV or fuel calculations in a gusty headwind halfway across the Nullabor without one ... I know, I've done it (in the Sundowner). My Debonair had an S-TEC 50 autopilot with altitude hold and the workload was much easier. I'm waiting on MGL releasing their proposed firmware to turn my EFIS into an autopilot (just add servos). Do you have altitude hold on the Sierra? If so, where is the servo mounted? John.

Hi John,

I never had the luxury of an auto pilot in the Sundowners but did have one in the Beech Sierra. It did not have altitude control but was nevertheless very useful.

We do have altitude control however in the Morgan Sierra and it is mounted on the floor behind the seats. I shall send a photo of the set up when Kevin gets back from Taree and Natfly.

Best regards,

Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

Further to the above, Kevin flew up to Taree this morning arriving in Taree about an hour ago. Once again the Auto Pilot proved to be very usefull as he was on his own again.

Morgan Aeroworks will be updating the aircraft with some of the latest improvements after which Kevin will be flying down to Temora on Thursday with the rest of the Morgan crew.

Alan.

179163605_Morgans1.thumb.jpg.a5ca08102051f389fcd0b6652072f0c7.jpg