Rain,Rain, Rain and more Rain

Willborne

I have been seeing SES emergency kits arriving in Mackay for practically the last month... ever since the first prediction of heavy rain. It seems that the response to the threat of flooding this year has been improved from years past. My mind boggles at the expense of this weather to government and industry...

Hi Don, the news said 6 Billion in QLD alone (estimate).Fruit and Veggies prices will rise by 50 percent. Supply and demand i guess. They are not sure how many cattle have been lost thus far in the floods. My heart realy goes out the country towns and farmers.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't forget the miners, a lot of those open pit mines are all full of water logged equipment...

Won't mention the name of the mine .... last flood they ignored all the advice given by locals, adjoining farms, employees etc and kept working - then too late decided to pull the equipment out, but first had to do a "Safety Assessment" which took 3 hours by which time it was decided it was too dangerous to get most of it out (including refusing contractors permission to move their own stuff). After a few hours the water topped the bank and millions of dollars drowned. They were insured, but several contractors weren't.

They have replaced the levy banks they took down before the last flood in 2008 but replaced them with uncompacted dirt. The river is rising fast, and flowing fast and predicted to go well over the 2008 levels. We are waiting with interest to hear how they fared. This is what you get with lots of young engineers who will not listen to anyone. And their idea that everything can happen instantly, not take hours, so they leave it until the last minute to take action. Due to their lack of planning there is no way to get men into and around the mine - the choppers they were relying on have been commandeered by Emergency Services.

In our amalgamated Council you would be forgiven for thinking only one town is suffering from floods (where their headquarters are and all the council press releases mention), but several other shire towns are cut off, flooded, evacuated, but we help ourselves. Don't need an evacuation centre and Red Cross volunteers flown in. We take people into our homes and help out where needed. It is unfortunate that people in larger towns feel it is someone else's responsibility to help. Very telling that volunteers had to be "flown in" to help a town of 10,000 set up beds, cook & serve food etc for less than 10% who may want to go to an evacuation centre. I might be biased, bigotted and ignorant of the facts, but I look at it and think "Get up and help yourself - and others".

Sue

Sue, keep up the reports from the coal face as it were, makes for very interesting reading. I shouldn't complain about the stupidity of management at places like the mines - keeps me off the street and pays for a little flying as well:big_grin:, but you are so very right about the mindless adherence to ever more complex regulations and procedures that costs people dearly in the long run. Best of all, the human animal is endlessly inventive and constantly finds new ways to screw up.

Re helping yourself; you tend to see the best and worst of people at times like this. I volunteered to help out after Cyclone Larry, and after spending most of the day traipsing through mud and muck, slithered up a farm driveway and found a family living under a lopsided carport. The house had more or less exploded, the shed had collapsed, destroying the vehicles inside and these people were sleeping on a damp mattress salvaged from inside. I had to choke back the emotion when they, with the least to offer, insisted on boiling up the kettle on the fire to make me coffee before we sat down to business - the only drink I'd been offered all day. The counterpoint was Mr Local Bigshot, reaching into his esky for a cold coke, whilst issuing dire threats about what would happen if he didn't head the list for rebuilding.:black_eye:

On a happier note it cleared up and the wind dropped this morning so I spent an hour flying around Bribie and looking for the big fish near Caboolture. It still eluded me. And when I got back my RAA magazine had been delivered and my new pilot certificate card! So a good day is possible and I hope it changes for everyone else too. If it holds up tomorrow I'm going after that fish again.

I spent two hours in a Thruster today with my instructor between the showers... I had to drive through some serious water to get to the strip. If there wasn't an aeroplane waiting for me on the other side of the crossing I would have turned back.

Turned out the weather was great for the a couple of hours of doodling around in a Thruster. And what a great little aeroplane it is. Going to buy me one soon.

Ouch:crying:. Wasn't there a Cessna that ended up in the water earlier in the piece - something about a forced landing into the water or they did a forced lob and got flooded after? Caught the tail end of a news bulletin and didn't see it again later on.

Water get`s away fast here, all gone,mowed my three strips yesterday and went for a fly.

I wish I could help more but all I can realy do is express my smypaty and wish all those effected by the floods, the very best for the future.

Frank.

Ps, Isn`t Tomo and family in the Dalby area,does anyone know if they went under water?

Guest Maj Millard

Farri...I only have Tomos' Mob Number. The area they live in (Cecil Plains) is flat ag country, and as I recall there is a river or creek to the West of town. Dunlopdangler may have a better idea as to their fate, as he is to the North in Dalby.

Viz.....looks like a Cherokee Six...not good.

Facthunter...Only marginally better than salt, brown mud contains a lot of minerals, and they get to work pretty quickly on aluminum. Also very hard to get every little bit out, as it sticks better than salt when hosed out. I was involved in the rebuild of a C172 that got washed down a fresh water stream. We did a pretty through job, but there's no way I would have bought it !....................Maj...

That river to the West of dalby is the Condamine. Further upstream Condamine town has been evacuated, and I think Surat will be. There will be a lot of noise about Rocky flooding, but it is a common occurence, although this time it is forecast to be bad. There is plenty of high ground in the Rocky area, but the airport is on a flood plain. If the airport is closed I assume it will not have an active tower and would therefore have the same rules as a CTAF. That means no class D airspace

Haven't had a chance to catch up with tomo's family...but Cecil Plains copped a fair bit of water through it. I would imagine that the flood at least would have affected their property, as for their house, I hope not, but a lot of farm houses over that way (built above all known flood levels) were inundated. I have been flying friends over their properties to check crop and stock losses and I really don't think the full brunt of the consequences has hit home yet.

Guest Maj Millard

Dangler, The Blue and white Cherokee in one of your earlier posts, is that an early Arrow with a fancy paint job ??.................Maj

Yep, only thing flying down here is the birds - haven't been out to the field but I suspect it may be a tad soggy too. Never thought I'd say it, but if this is Summer, I'm over it, bring on the dry season.

Further to the above, I've just been trawling through weatherzone - without being alarmist, the system that flooded Gympie and Maryborough is expected to slowly expand south tonight placing Brisbane to Northern Rivers in the firing line over the following 48 hours. The other feature of concern is that radar already shows rain streaming as far inland as the Darling Downs, where they really don't need anymore. Probably not a bad idea to keep an eye on the TV and/or BoM if you're in SEQ, to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes you guys down there have certainly had your share.These wets have been building now for four or five years, here in the North. Last years' was good, and the ground and river systems are all still maxed out from last year, hence all the ready run-off.

This has already been a record year, and we are yet to see a big cyclone on the east coast. If we do get a big one, with it's associated monsoonal low going inland, what we have now will look minor in comparison. ..........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Further to the above, I've just been trawling through weatherzone - without being alarmist, the system that flooded Gympie and Maryborough is expected to slowly expand south tonight placing Brisbane to Northern Rivers in the firing line over the following 48 hours. The other feature of concern is that radar already shows rain streaming as far inland as the Darling Downs, where they really don't need anymore. Probably not a bad idea to keep an eye on the TV and/or BoM if you're in SEQ, to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Hey Spin and guys- yep I was just looking at the same- Totally unbelievable. I've just tried to contact Tomo again, and haven't had a reply since Christmas- if anyone has heard we'd sure appreciate knowing if the family is OK out at Cecil. I actually got 3 hrs in yesterday with students but you have to be patient for the openings(other than the heavens!). We are in the middle of another 80mm right now at Glass House. I'd cry but I fear that will only add to the water:crying:

i have not get a fly in since the 27/11/10 evry time go to caloundra to get the shadow out down comes the rain , by the time this weather goes i will have to have refresher lessons , but better that than a sunk aircraft !!!!!!

Same here Mr Badger.The last time was 18 of Dec. The school I hire from is shut down over xmas until tomorrow anyway.But this rain is very depressing.Its raining now on the Gold coast again like nearly everyday over the last couple of months.Im over it.Back to work tomorow.Supposed to rain until wednesday or thursday.Maybe next weekend.Im hoping I can get a fly in, if the strip dries out.Cheers

Moved the Drifter out of the hanger today and had a lot of trouble pushing it in again as the wheels kept sinking in...glad it was not something over220KG!

Warwick is wet wet wet...Lake Leslie flood gates are currently all open...told this has not happened for22 years...and it is still raining!

just got back from brissie rained all the way down and all the awy back less than 80ks so bad still bucketing down now my creek going balistic seems no break even next week end showers , some people risk a flit around the circuit inbeetween rain showers but not thanks!! was about to do my nav solo at the end of septemeber then the weather broke and have not had a day clear since imagine up north the shadow would be a boat now !!!