Revolution trikes

Has anyone test flown one of the revolution trikes? The adverts seem really good. Are they as good as they are cracked up to be? The local importer has them priced at about the same as the airborne product. Based on the adverts they seem a better product than the best airborne has to offer. I wonder if this will have an impact on future airborne products?

Bluey:book:

• Like 1

Hi Bluey,

I don't think you have the name quite right there, the trike is called Revo and is built by Evolution Trikes.

There aren't any in Australia yet although apparently there is one arriving in W.A in Feb and three more coming to the east coast late March, one with the 11 meter wing and 2 with 12.5's .

Watching them with that bloke Larry drivin them they sure look the goods.

A couple of the features that interest me are * the lower control bar height , I have a bit of trouble with numbness in my hands and I think that may help.

* More suspension travel. * And extra head room for the passenger.

The one weakness I see is I don't believe there is provision for pannier bags or a belly bag so carrying enough luggage for a camp out could be difficult.

Regards Bill

Just one drawback that I could see, the empty weight quoted at over 270kg. Even with the MTOW quoted as 470kg or so, I'm pretty sure that CAO-95.32 only allows up to 450kg MTOW. Other than that it looks like a very nicely made trike and I look forward to seeing one in the flesh some time.

Cheers,

Glen

Yep, my mistake, it is the evo trike made by evolution. I heard a rumour that one was down in Moruya and that the new owner has his black streak 3 912 up for sale right now. I'd love to check it out when I'm next in Moruya.

Bluey

Yep, my mistake, it is the evo trike made by evolution. I heard a rumour that one was down in Moruya and that the new owner has his black streak 3 912 up for sale right now. I'd love to check it out when I'm next in Moruya.Bluey

I'd be interested in the black streak 3 912

Guest davidh10
...I'm pretty sure that CAO-95.32 only allows up to 450kg MTOW....Cheers,

Glen

Yep.

Actually looking at the specs page, it is 250kg empty and 472.5kg gross weight, although the latter isn't defined and there's several wing choices that you would expect to have different weights.

That's got to mean luggage or a light passenger... or maybe carry less fuel 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif to keep under 95.32 MTOW. Let's see: 250kg empty weight + 90kg Pilot = 340 + 90kg Pax = 430. Looks like there's only 20kg left for fuel, oil and luggage!

It may be ok if the weight increases get through, although I haven't been watching them in detail, so don't know if they apply to 95.32.

I'm not so sure I like the idea of a curved mast. Albeit that it gives the PAX more head room, I think the sleeved straight design of the Airborne models gives me the impression of being structurally stronger, and I've seen one of those that was bent just slightly by a very heavy landing. How would you tell with one that is already bent?

Actually looking at the specs page, it is 250kg empty and 472.5kg gross weight, although the latter isn't defined and there's several wing choices that you would expect to have different weights.

That's got to mean luggage or a light passenger... or maybe carry less fuel 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif to keep under 95.32 MTOW. Let's see: 250kg empty weight + 90kg Pilot = 340 + 90kg Pax = 430. Looks like there's only 20kg left for fuel, oil and luggage!

Given the comparable local product has a max empty weight of 260kg then the Revo is actually ahead in that area.

I'm not so sure I like the idea of a curved mast. Albeit that it gives the PAX more head room, I think the sleeved straight design of the Airborne models gives me the impression of being structurally stronger, and I've seen one of those that was bent just slightly by a very heavy landing. How would you tell with one that is already bent?

I have the same thoughts when I see those sort of questionable things (like the DTA voyager with no compression strut) but they do have to pass the loading tests before they can sell the trike. (that is apparently why we have to pay so much to get one).

Regards Bill

P.S I believe when you get down to the nitty gritty we need to really look past the initial figure quoted on the specs pages of a manufacturers web site i.e one quotes a figure with 3 litres of unusable fuel included, does the other include that? Are they including oil in the engine etc. etc.

they do have to pass the loading tests before they can sell the trike.

True but only up to a point.

LSA testing is just done "in-house" by the manufacturer (see the results of the FAA audit of LSA manufacturers / importers). Primary Category (Airborne XT) and BCAR Section-S (E.g. P&M trikes) is independently overseen & audited by the National Airworthiness Authoirty hence the higher cost.

Cheers

John

Given the comparable local product has a max empty weight of 260kg then the Revo is actually ahead in that area.QUOTE]Actually, the placard on the dash on my XT-912 tourer streak3 says 223kg empty and I've noted that the latest XT-912 Tundra SST placard says 238kg empty.

Given the comparable local product has a max empty weight of 260kg then the Revo is actually ahead in that area.QUOTE]Actually, the placard on the dash on my XT-912 tourer streak3 says 223kg empty and I've noted that the latest XT-912 Tundra SST placard says 238kg empty.

Hi Glen,

I got that figure from Airborne's website. As I said in my P.S if you want a real comparison then you really have to get to the fine details to see what's included and what is not.

Regards Bill

True but only up to a point. LSA testing is just done "in-house" by the manufacturer (see the results of the FAA audit of LSA manufacturers / importers). Primary Category (Airborne XT) and BCAR Section-S (E.g. P&M trikes) is independently overseen & audited by the National Airworthiness Authoirty hence the higher cost.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Do I understand what you are saying correctly an Australian or U.K built aircraft has had to satisfy an external examination of it's airworthiness but a U.S built one can be tested by the manufacturer and still flown legally in Australia?

Regards Bill

Hi Bill,

Prior to 2006 (I think that was when LSA were allowed here) to register a trike under 95.32 the design had to meet an accepted standard such as the British or German which AFAIK all involved a high level of oversight & auditing. Airborne took an even more demanding route with the XT by getting it certified in Primary Category. Most overseas trikes couldn't be registered here because they hadn't been demonstrated to meet any of these standards.

LSA was intended to reduce the expensive costs of certification by allowing manufacturers to do their own testing. As its cheaper & easier there are a lot more models which have been through the process. However a recent FAA audit of American LSA importers & manufacturers didn't paint an very reassuring picture of how this was working out in practice &, apparently, they are considering changes to the process.

Since Australia accepted the LSA design standard, trikes (from any country of manufacture) which have been through that self-certification process can also be registered here. Some countries don't currently accept the LSA standard so manufacturers wishing to sell into those markets still need to demonstrate compliance with the relevant design standard Eg Section-S in the UK. Such trikes can of course still be registered in Aus - the "old" rules weren't changed when LSA was added as a design standard

Hope that helps

Cheers

John

PS I'm not saying that any particular LSA model is inferior - just trying to explain the differences between the categories

Guest Andys@coffs

When Airborne released the XT the UK Quik was available and it was a much faster machine that the XT/S3 combination. At the time I believe that Airborne were of the view that the S3 was pushing the boundaries of the speed envelope that they believed was appropriate for trikes.

To a certain extent I can understand their though process, IAS of 90 to 110kts would in my view be starting to get a bit uncomfortable for long lengths of time for anyone sat behind or too tall for the windshield to be effective for the front seat. Of course you could just put a touring windshield on, in which case the drag increases heaps and the speed benefit is either lost or consumes fuel at a significantly higher rate

Andy

When Airborne released the XT the UK Quik was available and it was a much faster machine that the XT/S3 combination. At the time I believe that Airborne were of the view that the S3 was pushing the boundaries of the speed envelope that they believed was appropriate for trikes. To a certain extent I can understand their though process, IAS of 90 to 110kts would in my view be starting to get a bit uncomfortable for long lengths of time for anyone sat behind or too tall for the windshield to be effective for the front seat. Of course you could just put a touring windshield on, in which case the drag increases heaps and the speed benefit is either lost or consumes fuel at a significantly higher rate

Andy

It really needs to be a balance of considerations, price/speed/handling/flexibility/inherent strength. Where the Revo, (apparently because mine is on the way and will be based at Moruya but I have not yet flown it!) sets a raft of new standards is the modern approach to suspension, massive 40 knots plus speed range with electric trim (versus about 5 with the Airborne trim wheel) so you can fly fast or slow, electronics integration ie aircraft tefzel wiring, multiple circuit breakers, Enigma colour glass display with interfaced MGL radio allowing radio frequency slaving to any destination on the Enigma, and a list of options such as 100Hp Rotax engine allowing customisation. Then there is the very strong (stand on it) carbon fibre base, more roomy passenger seat, full 3 wheel hydraulic disk brakes with real aircraft tyres and after carefully considering a new Airborne 912 I came to the conclusion that the Revo was higher performance, better value and offered a longer lifespan due, in my opinion, to higher engineering standards. The real clincher was the Australian dollar parity which currently makes the Revo even more attractive. I have great respect for Airborne, having purchased two trikes over 10 years, but they need to commit to modernising their trikes and innovating where that is possible or risk losing some of their market competitiveness. My black XT912 is for sale and details are in the RAA magazine.

Just a few clarifications to some earlier questions in this thread. LSA designation, which is highly regarded by regulatory authorities around the world is not restricted to 450KG Maximum Takeoff Weight and in fact allows the Revo at 482KG MTOW. There was a question regarding uncertainty about the strength of the curved mast versus the straight mast, the curved is actually considerably stronger as a consequence of its 4130 chromium molybdemun contruction. Another question concerned carrying items for cross-country trips and I understand that panniers to enable this will be available in a matter of months. From my research the usable weight is around 257KG and the weight allowance per seat is some 113KG compared to the Airborne XT 100KG. Hope that clarifies the questions above.

Hel,

Thanks for that info. The concept of LSA allowing Trikes to have >450kg MTOW is not something I'd considered before and I suppose it opens some interesting possibilities for Trikes with certified MTOW up to 600kg.

It's been about a year since I dropped into Moruya. It'd be great to see your new machine when it arrives.

Cheers,

Glen

The first Revo from Evolution trikes (USA) has been freighted. It is due to arrive in approx. 35 days at Perth WA.

This trike has the sports wing (12 sq. m. wing) with a 912 ULS engine, electric trim, Enigma colour glass cockpit with built in GPS, interfaced MGL V-10 radio, carbon fibre body, back seat arm rests, carby heat, quick oil heat system plus standard equipment. Will be available at Bunbury for trike pilots to see and fly.

• 8 months later...
Let us know when it arrives heldering, as I fly to Moruya quite regularly from Albion Park. I'd love to check it out. I understand that yours is the reflex 12 (12.5square metre wing)?

Now all settled in, my Revo is wonderful to fly and I'm learning all the tricks of the Enigma colour display. About 17 hrs up so far. Have installed a nice Drift HD170 video camera and patched in the audio to record all intercom and radio traffic. Happy to show you when/if you're in Moruya same time as me.

IMG_1082.jpg.3009a7a03c72b75cf726ec691e2a7ebc.jpg

Hi Heldering,

Is that a 914, or have the rocker covers just been painted red to match the colour scheme of the trike?

I went for a fly in a Revo with a CFI in Colorado about 8 weeks ago. Besides spending a lot of the flight being shown through the many screens on the glass panel, I found I couldn't quite get comfortable enough with the foot throttle to feel my way to a level flight power setting (I couldn't get in my ear "in" on the 2 bladed prop either). If, like myself you previously did most of your trike flying in Airborne trikes, how do you find the foot throttle on the Revo?

Not saying any of it is bad, just different from what I'm used to.