Stolp SA 500 Starduster

dazza 38

Guest Mario Mayerhofer

Thanks a lot guys for your input and help. Have finally tracked down some semi-offcial numbers from a great chap overseas who had one in the late 70's/early 80's - and that one is still kicking too, despite having had a rather "abused upbringing" when it comes to aerobatics (quote from the owner) - yes, it was at once stage a yellow/white one. The actual positive load factor is something 4424 will never see or feel, and will put some czech single seat aerobats, I used to very much enjoy to shame, but it would put anyone inclined to do sportsman style aerobatics very much at ease, and not even that is really relevant for a recreational registered aeroplane.

Was just another great saturday today, worth working for all week, to just go and commit some serious aviation, in something that you just love, and it shines with simplicity and performance.

Have to admit though, it was one of those nice, chilly winter mornings without a trace of wind, and one would not believe the enormous turbulence encountered up high over those non-populated forrest areas a few miles north of the strip - unbelievable bad :-)....so bad that you get thrown around and even bump the stick at times :-).

Been asked a few times to upload something like a walk around thing....putting one one youtube now. Gents, I am not good at this new age high tech stuff, and all I got is a phone to do it with....so please dont "bitch" if it hasnt got the right music etc....you want to see struts, fittings, and how its held together :-)..there it is...no funky stuff..just close up :-)

Cheers,

Guest Maj Millard

Yes nothing wrong with your video Mario, if I was looking at buying the aircraft that would give me a good idea of what it is all about. Nice little machine by the way..........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif:thumb_up:

Guest Mario Mayerhofer
Yes nothing wrong with your video Mario, if I was looking at buying the aircraft that would give me a good idea of what it is all about. Nice little machine by the way..........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif:thumb_up:

Thanks guys :-) Mr Maj Millard...one polite question please :-) ....was gonna steal one of your quotes at the bottom..."Heroes come and go............ " but not sure if its safe to use ...;-) It's is meant that we get a little bit more reluctant to perform rather not so safe things as we get older, right?

I turned the sound all the way up in anticipation of Mario's taste in music being as good as his taste in airplanes. Music must've been turned down as I could only hear the sound of sneakers.

All the time I was thinking it looked similar to the Bellanca aerobatic parasol airplane which might've ended up as the Decathlon.

Guest Mario Mayerhofer
I turned the sound all the way up in anticipation of Mario's taste in music being as good as his taste in airplanes. Music must've been turned down as I could only hear the sound of sneakers.All the time I was thinking it looked similar to the Bellanca aerobatic parasol airplane which might've ended up as the Decathlon.

That wasnt sneakers Dave :-)...that was "her" spats grinding the concrete in anticipation to get out of the gate :-) ;-).

Guest Mario Mayerhofer

Mr Lou Stolp was most certainly a very great designer, however got a feeling that he had seen a very big "Starlet" before where he had the idea from :-) Have you Gentlemen ever looked at the Focke-Wulf FW-56? Lots of pics of that plane from the 1930's on google - unfortunately no flying footage to be found.

Going by the size in todays light materials...that'd be a bit like Starlet fun for the whole family :-) Looking at the 3-view drawings....it's a lot more than just the parasol resemblence.

Guest Mario Mayerhofer

As for buying the plane, I was a very big bit biased due to just being in love with the design since decades ( thats why I had someone else check it out, regardless of having the relevant tickets), but havent had a minute of regret buying it.

You guys have probably heard anyway by now of the drama on the first sort of x-country (well..just over to Caboolture from Watts), when the oil cooler failed - thats how I ended up being based back "home" :-) after all. Never realized that the oil cooler had cracked until close to approach, with oil everywhere. Oil pressure was still there, but as soon as she touched and was shut down, there was less than 1.2l left in it - no engine damage. After a lot of research, phone calls to engineering mobs at Archerfield, and Sandora Aviation, it was decided to get rid of the cooler altogether and modify the system. Now we done 10h+ without, and oil temp is what Lycoming thinks is right for the 235..about 95 degrees C. If you cane it decently, it will get to 103..but thats it.

I am not big into commercial outfits, but it truly maybe is time to say thanks openly to Dieter Sedlbauer (the Kiebitz guy), who was of incredible help from right there til it was all sorted..incl organizing a permanent hangar space at Caboolture.

Guest Maj Millard

Mario, Feel free to help youself to any 'sayings'....and here's another one that may be relevant at our 'seasoned ' age .....'It's not the woman in your life , it's the life in your woman'.....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Mario Mayerhofer

Good evening Gents,

Thought I'd let you know that the new Pacific Flyer is out :-) blushes...but hey...get real ..its the only thing better these days than being on "the cover of the rolling stone"..lol....geez....gotta be able to take the micky out of yourself :-)..pretty bad timing though after getting a very nasty letter from CASA last monday through the RAA, where a delegate apparantly conducted an audit at the airfield....and a standart go-around with a Blanik glider on the duty runway being pushed back was interpreted as a high speed beat up...followed by a tear drop stall turn before landing....

It was kind of flattering to be accused of such spectacular thing, regardless of lacking 150hp to pull it really off...besides that, it would be inheritantly dangerous in the first place, and only very few would get away with it.

But all good, they backed off, however it is a disgrace that in 2011, in a free country one is guily until proven innocent!

Great to hear Mario! Pity about the false accusations, but good thing it was all sorted, isn't it funny how things can get blown out of proportion!

Guest Maj Millard

Good to hear from you Mario, bummer about that drama with RAA/Casa, but good you got it sorted. Yes with CASA it is guilty until proven innocent...and they have endless finances to make the case stick...what BS really.

Hope you are well......have you sold the plane yet ?......if I had endless finances I'd certainly grab it for my stable...................................................Cheers .........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif