Bing Carby Mods to improve EGT Spread

JabSP6

Just to share something else on EGT spread on the 4 cylinder (as we are manly taking about the 6 here) is to use a small amount of carby heat. The airbox has a ram air set up so you need to pull the carby heat fully on and then just back it off just a tad. This will allow one to mix the air with some hot and cold to get the right balance to find the sweet spot.

When the air is preheated you get better atomisation of the fuel through the Bing and end up with almost even EGT spread ... I guess it's not all of the plenum chambers fault as the Bing has it's draw back too.

Cheers

Vev

• Agree 1

My view (stated before) is that on gas, you would not have a problem. I'm NOT suggesting that you run on gas, it's just illustrating that vapourisation of the fuel will remove the problem. The beneficial use of carb heat proves it, but again it is not really advised to use carb heat at high throttle settings. The Jabiru ( and any other motor that I am aware of) will lose power with full carb heat applied. Some engines will detonate more easily with carb heat applied, as well... Nev

My view (stated before) is that on gas, you would not have a problem. I'm NOT suggesting that you run on gas, it's just illustrating that vapourisation of the fuel will remove the problem. The beneficial use of carb heat proves it, but again it is not really advised to use carb heat at high throttle settings. The Jabiru ( and any other motor that I am aware of) will lose power with full carb heat applied. Some engines will detonate more easily with carb heat applied, as well... Nev

Hi Nev,

Quite right ... I didn't mean to imply that one should fly around with carb heat on but just to illustrate that its not just a manifold design problem but the Bing has it's own limitations too. Thanks for the qualifying suffix to my post.

Cheers

Vev