New Viking engine

Kyle Communications

Does anyone know if there are any operating yet here in OZ..I looked at the website and see a guy building a sierra or cheetah has got one on the way soon. The price is certainly fantastic just over half the cost of a 100hp rotax new and the Viking is 110hp but its about 5kg heavier and I think the fuel economy maybe slightly worse. Any info that you have found out would be appreciated

Mark

• Like 1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at the website this morning, the whole concept looks bloody great. Honda have always made such great engines. tipping it on it's side is just brilliant, it means that it can compete with all the flat fours. I bet the economy is miles better than a Rotax...Having higher compression, fuel injected, ok with ethanol as well....

I was looking at the website this morning, the whole concept looks bloody great. Honda have always made such great engines. tipping it on it's side is just brilliant, it means that it can compete with all the flat fours. I bet the economy is miles better than a Rotax...Having higher compression, fuel injected, ok with ethanol as well....

I agree, as a automobile conversion .It looks very appealing and very professional.

Mine will be leaving the US in the next few weeks, two months early.

Its going into the Morgan Couger l am building.

It has the same engine mount postions as a Jabiru and prop hub dimensions as a Rotax.

Gearbox oil temp can be monitered and it has a sight glass for the gearbox oil level.

Twin ECU's.

regards Bruce

• Like 1

Well I will be watching you can bet. I am not due for my engine for the Sav until probably 3rd quarter this year and the money saving and extra horsepower are very appealing. Please keep us all abreast of what its like and when you expect it to arrive

15k landed here in gst for the complete engine ready to go with gearbox dual ECU's with a whole heap of new machined metalwork to make it lighter???? seems a good price to me...you priced a 100hp rotax from old Bert lately and the Viking is 110hp with the abiliity to pump it to 117hp for short periods if required

Mark

• Like 1

$15K seems a lot for an auto conversion. I was quoted $2.5K for a honda engine with less than 10k on the clock.

But you have to reinvent the wheel and l have a warrenty.

regards Bruce

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I will be watching you can bet. I am not due for my engine for the Sav until probably 3rd quarter this year and the money saving and extra horsepower are very appealing. Please keep us all abreast of what its like and when you expect it to arrive

Yes, I would be very interested as well, as an alternative Savannah engine.

The Viking has to be better on paper (cost, power, fuel economy, reliabilty, etc.) before people would favour an alterative to the ubiquitous Rotax donk.

• 5 months later...

I noticed, from today's "news" section from the Viking website, that one brave Savannah owner has ordered one. If you look carefully, you'll see an engine order from another member of this forum. http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/news/News.html

Some Recent viking-110 orders and their aircraft types

Robert601 HDS

Thomas601 XL

Alpi Aviationaircraft

Bill Aventura

StephenCH-601

RayCH-601

RichardCH-601 HD

Tom ShawCH-601HD

PeterCH-650

RichardCH-650

RobertCH-701

RandallCH-701

PeterCH-701

Andrew Dent CH-701

BobbyCH-701

MasonCH-701

PeterCH-701

DanielCH-701

FredCH-750

RudyCH-750

AlbertCH-750

JeromeCH-750

BurtonCH-750

LarryCH-750

RichardCH-750

RichardCH-750

ChairatCH-750

Bruce HartleyCougar

Rotor FlightDominator

MarcusFOX V7

Infinity Power Par.Infinity

ThomasJust Aircraft

RobertJust Aircraft

BrianJust Aircraft

GeraldJust Aircraft

DaveJust Aircraft

EdwardKitfox

EdwardKitfox 4

JohnLittle Gyro

RolandMurphy Rebel

MalcolmRV-12

Jun RV-12

RonaldRV-12

Donald RV-12

GlenSavanna

TomSeaRey

ChristopherSeaRey

CharlesSeaRey

KlausSeaRey

DwayneSearey

ThomasSearey LSX

LloydSeaRey LSX

MaxSonex

HowardSonex

PeterSonex

PhilipSonex

NedSonex

RussellSonex Nose

BrianStorch

RamseyTri Q200

Juan CarlosTRIKE

JamesWaiex

Bruce's engine shouldn't be too far away now

I ordered the 912 for my Sav about 2 weeks ago...will look at the Viking when I build the next Savannah but I will be keeping tabs on all the info for them as it comes online...They should have a lot of hours on them by then. Although Max Tedesco is building a new version more like a technam/small cessna called a Spirit. Initial data looks good its faster than a sad and not as low stall speed but still extremely good better than most around

Mark

The Ship has entered Bass Strait.regards Bruce

The trips half over, just has to get from the wharf to your place via customs:oh yeah:

Looking at the site and pics, can't see if it has dual ignition.

Yes, I would be very interested as well, as an alternative Savannah engine.The Viking has to be better on paper (cost, power, fuel economy, reliabilty, etc.) before people would favour an alterative to the ubiquitous Rotax donk.

That's what attracts me to the Viking (Honda) engine. My daughter has a 1991 Honda Civic and last week it reached 436,000 kilometres! I don't know the first owner (a "little old lady") but I do know the last two owners pior to my daughter and they were both young men who were not too gently with the Civic.

I am so impressed that the original engine and gearbox has done 436,000 kilometres that I would be pretty interested in one of these Viking engines. The only part that may need more time to prove itself is the reduction drive.

Image0347.thumb.jpg.5efcfacb2697fd7ac400fed022d259da.jpg

Goodaye all

The final Bill for my Viking is less than $13.5K including shipping and gst.

Should be ready for pickup after l pay the shipping and gst, so early next week l suppose.

Jan still has the ECU, he will send that when l am ready.

Its so it can get the latest software updates.

l had a cousin look after the shipping side of things so its as expected and within budget.

Theres a slab of Crownies in the deal somewhere.

regards Bruce

$13,500 is way cheaper than the Rotax OR Jabiru engine.

I would love to see a full comparison test of the Viking with other engines, or at least a comparison with the Rotax 912ULS.

Some things I would like to know (among other parameters) are a TRUE COMPARISON of:

1. Weight

2. Power

3. Fuel Consumption

4. Altitude Compensation (Rotax has altitude compensationg Bing carbies, how well will the Viking fly to, say, 10,000 feet or beyond?)

5. Effectiveness of the cooling system, during a fast cruise or a lengthy climb on a warm day.

6. Cost of the extras after purchasing the engine; i.e., what else is required to make it complete?

7. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

8. blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

9. gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif

10.021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

:idea:The unused comparison parameters (above) are for other knowledgeable Rec Flying forum members to suggest 092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif