New Viking engine

Kyle Communications

7. thrust

8. vibration

9. performance with avgas

10. after sales support

Yes, F_T, those are important considerations. I'm especially interested in whether you can put Avgas into the tank, even once in a while when you cannot get hold of Mogas.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodaye all

There is a Viking in my garage.

Looks very sexy.

Still to receive the ECU as l will get it so it has the latest software.

If everyone who says they saw mine when ordering l can get he cost back after 54 orders. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Used UTI as shippers and all went very smoothly, but then again l do have arelative who works there.

So all l have to do is get on with the build.

Looks like l will have buckets of room under the cowling.

regards Bruce

• Like 4

Hey Soper

I can give it a good home up here in Qld :) looks great

My 912 ULS should be here hopefully mid next month but I can't wait to see how yours goes as I am sure it will go in the next Sav I build if it scrubs up great

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

So cool.

Compact and all the right specs. The ability to fit a tight cowl really attracts, as does the dry sump.

The cost is pretty good esp. compared to Rudetax here in Oz.

It also looks like the perfect setup for a mild blow turbo, easily attainable extra horses and would still be reliable.

The distances involved and head integral exhaust manifold, would make a very compact and reasonably light system.

Given Viking do their own ecu's then correct programming should not be a problem.

Maybe set up with a over-boost mode for take off etc.........

130hp should be quite easy, probably more.

It would make a hell of a motor for a single seater........The first 200kt RAA plane?

I think this could be a far better basis than a 914 for higher altitude work. The Efi should on be a benefit with far greater ability to produce power in thin air. That is system dependant of course but with millions of engines made and zillions of km's in all sort of road altitudes and temps- injection is our friend.

I hope to see a lot of the Vikings installed and getting hours up.

And just think, given the US economy and Tea Party antics, the Greenback will be be the new pacific peso.

I can imagine a $10,ooo landed price best for Obama or if the lunatics get to run the asylum.....$6,000.

I really like this engine.

Phil

• Like 1

I hope to see a lot of the Vikings installed and getting hours up.

Me too. This engine has many millions of kilometres of road testing done in multitudes of Honda cars, and has been tested in a marine environment.

The real proof will come when enough of these motors have been used in an aviation environment with different oxygen levels at altitude,in temperature extremes in a wide range of humidity conditions. All this will be done at or near maximum revs. Only when many hours have been run up and the engine performs under the wide range of aviation conditions -and the motor has pulled down to rule out early excessive wear factors- can other aviators be confident that this will be a good replacement for the Jabiru, Rotax, UL Power and Hirth competition.

One other (non-Honda) factor that I am interested in is the long term reliability of the PSRU.

I must say though, that on paper the Viking looks like it will be a fantastic alternative and I will be watching developments closely.

Me too Eightyknots, half the price of the Vans FWF Rotax package for my RV-12, more power (you can never have too much), EFI, etc. However, it is a bit heavier and as yet the ancillaries are unproven. I do like the fact that the PSRU runs in its own gear oil bath, not engine oil. I will be buying my engine for the 12 early in 2012, so I hope there are plenty of Vikings flying by then to provide some real world experience on longevity and reliability, in which case I will seriously consider it. I note that Jan's factory testbed aircraft now has over 300 hours up without problems (reported problems anyway).

One downside for me is that it would preclude me from controlled airspace, which will be difficult for operations if we don't get our second airfield for Canberra up - though that is progressing well now.

It would be very interesting to see what, if anything, Honda did to this engine when produced for their outboard marine application. Marine use is similar, I think, to aviation with max power to get the boat up and planing then continuous high power application at cruise - particularly if used in a ski boat. But, I doubt any non-competition use is as testing on an engine as an aviation application.

The constant high revs are a similarity. The main difference is that, in a marine application, the engine is always 3-6 feet AMSL. In an aviation environment, the motor may be called upon to operate from 3-13,000 feet AMSL and the temperature range is likely to stretch out considerably further at the colder end of the spectrum.

• Agree 1

It would be very interesting to see what, if anything, Honda did to this engine when produced for their outboard marine application. Marine use is similar, I think, to aviation with max power to get the boat up and planing then continuous high power application at cruise - particularly if used in a ski boat. But, I doubt any non-competition use is as testing on an engine as an aviation application.

The marine versions are under square ( longer stroke, smaller bore) than the car engine which should flatten the torque curve. It seems Viking are using the outboard crank rods and pistons. All good for constant throttle ops.

cheers John

• Like 1

Unfortunatly many of those questions wont be answered in full until more are flying.l know there are many who are watching my outcome.

regards Bruce

Well Bruce there has been so much interest from other forumites I'm not sure if we can all wait for you to build the Cougar then test fly it, so how about we all help you build your aircraft, INCLUDING GARY MORGAN . How many people can you accomodate in your shed for say....a couple of weeks?008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan Marriette.

• Like 1

A little supercharger would be sweet. Prob'ly simpler than a turbo.

A nice supercharger would be great as well, simpler and lighter possibly.

The viking really would be good as a turbo..Very sort distances to inlet and turbo can mount directly to head- no heavy manifold.

No need for a modified drive to run the supercharger and belt etc.

The turbo would grab maximum lost power from the exhaust and thus make it quieter. This can allow the muffler to be removed, so some weight saved here.

The modern designed for application low pressure turbo can be pretty impressive. They are often much cheaper than a suitable supercharger as well.

All the stuff that makes a good turbo engine are already there ie. injection, ecu's etc.

But if a off the shelf supercharger was suitable and cheap enough?

• 1 month later...

Bruce

How do you think this engine would peform in an Australian Lightwing I have just order the DVD as I have aquired an lightwing rebuild project think of fitting one up ?

How is your going ? :chat:

• Like 1

A nice supercharger would be great as well, simpler and lighter possibly.The viking really would be good as a turbo..Very sort distances to inlet and turbo can mount directly to head- no heavy manifold.

No need for a modified drive to run the supercharger and belt etc.

The turbo would grab maximum lost power from the exhaust and thus make it quieter. This can allow the muffler to be removed, so some weight saved here.

The modern designed for application low pressure turbo can be pretty impressive. They are often much cheaper than a suitable supercharger as well.

All the stuff that makes a good turbo engine are already there ie. injection, ecu's etc.

But if a off the shelf supercharger was suitable and cheap enough?

I wonder if Honda manufactures a turbo charger for this engine?

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow that post was well over 2 years ago...seems Jan is selling quite a few and seems to have a ever increasing set of orders for them. A few gripes around but hardly any....I know one person here in OZ that is waiting for the new vrsion ECU then it isn't far away from being in the air