New Viking engine

Kyle Communications

I have a Morgan Cougar with a 2013 Viking engine 2 months from trial flights. To my knowledge there is only one Viking engine flying in AU and it's an earlier version. I spoke to the owner Ray last week. He just won an award at Nat fly 2014 for best auto conversion engine. Ray's aircraft is a 601.

The Viking is a good investment in my opinion.

Jamie

• Like 2

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What made you choose the Viking over camit or Jabiru? Only reason I ask is that there seems to be an abundance of people who have had bad experiences with Jan. Not that you can believe everything you read online, but there certainly is enough to scare me off. I'm currently deciding between an RV and a Morgan. Hopefully you post some pics of yours once it's ready!

I think Jan ran an auto-to-aero motor conversion business based on the Suzuki 1.3 litre Geo engine. That ended up being a dismal failure and left a lot of buyers disaffected, so it seems judging from information available on the web.

When Jan had a second go at these kinds of conversions, he chose the Honda engine fitted to Fit model cars (sometimes known as Jazz model cars). These Honda engines are not only fuel efficient, and powerful for its weight, they are also known to be really reliable. Due to a better underlying product basis, Jan's customers seem to be a lot happier. I wish Jan well.

• Agree 1

A little supercharger would be sweet. Prob'ly simpler than a turbo.

Not simpler at all and superchargers lose power as you go up and/or under load.

A turbo that maintains the same boost pressure as you go up and actually increases boost pressure under load.

I think Jan ran an auto-to-aero motor conversion business based on the Suzuki 1.3 litre Geo engine. That ended up being a dismal failure and left a lot of buyers disaffected, so it seems judging from information available on the web.When Jan had a second go at these kinds of conversions, he chose the Honda engine fitted to Fit model cars (sometimes known as Jazz model cars). These Honda engines are not only fuel efficient, and powerful for its weight, they are also known to be really reliable. Due to a better underlying product basis, Jan's customers seem to be a lot happier. I wish Jan well.

Jan's issues were mostly from the Subaru conversions and PSRU, he left a lot of people hanging dry and still a lot of bitterness over it - but it's all out there on the net including dedicated hate sites.

One reason for the Honda choice is it has dual plugs standard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Agree with bexrbetter and eighty knots. Jan got it right with his second go and there's no shortage of happy campers! I went with the Viking not just for the low cost but the modern fuel injected engine with redundancy. I spent 2 years researching engines before my final choice.

Here's some older pictures of mine during the engine install. Current the aircraft is in the paint shop.

http://vikingaircraftengines.ning.com/add-engine-mounting-pictures/image

The Morgan cougar / viking combo is a sharp looking aircraft. Stand about 6ft tall, ground to canopy. It has extended wheel struts to allow for the bigger prop recommended by viking.

Jamie

• Like 1

When you look at the Viking, the workmanship and the layout etc, it's hard to relate it to being from the same hands that were so self-destructive previously.

I would still like to see a picture of one 'ready to run' hanging off a set of scales.

• Like 1

I would still like to see a picture of one 'ready to run' hanging off a set of scales.

Me too! The actual weight with necessary attachment is impossible to discover. This is not so with the D-Motor, UL Power and Rotax where this is all readily available. If Jan isn't prepared to list the 'wet' weight, I hope someone else who has purchased a Viking would do everyone a favour, weigh the complete setup and publish the FULL weight. This would be a tremendous help to the recreational flying community!

There has been complaints about Jan being coy on the subject, not sure why he would take this tact, it's a converted auto engine so no one expects it to be anything but 10 or 20 kgs heavier than the norm so why not let people know so they can plan around it while appreciating it's other advantages.

He, ( Jan Eggenfeller) quotes 178 lbs dry. You can add to that. Oil/water/Radiator and plumbing. Injector pumps hoses and wiring, plus? The end result would have to be 200lbs or so...say 91kgs....Hmmm not exactly light is it? That D motor, although much dearer is more like 57kgs all up..........Although my clunky old Continental 0-200 is quoted at 105kgs wet and complete.. Plus an 0-200 is a LOT dearer than the Viking. Probably twice the price.. So it may well be a good 0-200 replacement, but not a good Rotax replacement...And it may turbo quite well....I think I'd like one on the front of the Jodel...

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

He, ( Jan Eggenfeller) quotes 178 lbs dry. You can add to that. Oil/water/Radiator and plumbing. .

I think the 5th post down is worth consideration ...

http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63&start=50

and this from the Searay owner himself ...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=630769&postcount=17

Oh Dear, Jan E is being Jan E again...But why would he change? Leopards don't change their spots do they? I still think that the Viking would be OK in a normal (tractor) installation. And the weight is what it is. Certainly no heavier than the 0-200 @ 230lbs... It seems that the Viking may be OK despite Eggenfeller rather than because of him ? But it's all speculation until someone actually comes on the forum and tell us "the truth"... BTW. The Searay owner is an absolute idiot! Imagine fitting an unknown engine at unknown weight to your aircraft and not checking the C of G.....I would check it ( c of g ) DURING the installation , NOT after the first flight, Many engines are NOT suited to pusher installations, so it's not surprising he lost thrust. I don't like E's attitude, smacks of absolute arrogance. BUT it still looks good as a 0-200 replacement. As far as being a godsend for Sonex owners, Good Luck with that! I can see a lot of long fuse Sonex's on the horizon...

• Agree 1

I think any aero engine builder who tries to censor comment or won't release full details is only hurting themselves. People who have built their aircraft and are looking at engine options are not casual consumers, their lives could depend on the donk they use so they're going to research, talk to other owners and try to work out what the best option is.

They also have a nose for the faintest whiff of bullsh1t, which if detected will put a black mark against the engine involved. Counter-productive really to try to hide your engine's faults or censor negative comment.

• Agree 1

I think any aero engine builder who tries to censor comment or won't release full details is only hurting themselves. People who have built their aircraft and are looking at engine options are not casual consumers, their lives could depend on the donk they use so they're going to research, talk to other owners and try to work out what the best option is.They also have a nose for the faintest whiff of bullsh1t, which if detected will put a black mark against the engine involved. Counter-productive really to try to hide your engine's faults or censor negative comment.

In this modern age with so many alternative 'channels' via the internet it is not only futile to censor people's genuine questions and concerns but it is also counterproductive.

Eventually the information gets out, even if it is 6 or 8 weeks later. When the negative information works its way around the web, potential customers are going to be very, very careful about spending hard earned dollars on an alternative-to-Rotax engine if the owner of the business is likely to do "an about-face, from friend to enemy" and "refuse to refund [the purchaser's] money". I understand the Viking website promises a 90% refund if the owner is not happy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

No Mark I haven't sent the ECU back for the upgrade. My understanding is that the latest upgrade is to help the engine in cold weather starts which doesn't really apply to me and after the start today...WOW I think she's running sweet.

No Mark I haven't sent the ECU back for the upgrade. My understanding is that the latest upgrade is to help the engine in cold weather starts which doesn't really apply to me and after the start today...WOW I think she's running sweet.

Jmbb74, how much is a Viking engine landed in Oz?

I recon ya on a winner with that engine love to put one in my lightwing but too much red tape !

Hi Doug,

I never seem to be able to get 'straight' weight figures for this engine. How do you know that fitting one of these won't turn your Lightwing into a Heavywing?

Does anyone know -with accuracy- the weight of the Viking along with all the necessary fluids and accessories??

• Helpful 1