New Viking engine

Kyle Communications

I can't say with 100% accuracy but we're pretty sure (almost certain) the engine is 100kg with fluids, everything ready to start.

A few people owed me some favours so the shipping was free 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

I purchased my engine with the Viking view, power bus module and their grab bag so just over $18k USD.

• Informative 1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stunningly beautiful plane, congratulations.

I'm quite surprised with the attention light aircraft guys pay to weight it didn't go on to the scales for a personal verification before fitment for such a major item.

I'm sure you will have no issues and plenty of confidence with the Honda side of things.

$18k is more than you pay for a used 912S!

And a very low Kms used Fit engine wouldn't be more than a couple of grand and when it comes to parts and replacement I would rather be shopping for the Honda stuff later wallet wise. Not that it will be a requirement anytime soon. Also the service intervals on the Honda would easily be double that of a Rotax and half the price to boot.

Only a weight penalty, no other disadvantages.

• Like 1

Maybe so on the USED 912 but that was my choice and everybody is different. That's all I'll say on that subject.

$18k was just the invoice from Viking. You could get it for under $14k without the options I purchased.

• Like 1

Engine was weighed but no fluids present. EightyKnots is looking for a wet weight and other items were added to the aircraft in between the final weight sign off so I can't be completely accurate on the wet weight.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I think Jan abandoned that idea when he realized he would have to replace 1/2 the engine to fit the turbo. The entire customer base that funded his production run of the Subaru WRX engines lost their money when Jan walked away after not being able to get the engine running properly.

The Viking certainly is a picture of what can be done with some CNC machining. It does look the goods.

There is one going into an aircraft at Cessnock but I'm not sure what the aircraft is. I'll make some enquiries.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

That's probably what I would do!!!008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif There's a video of a turbo Viking on you tube in a Ch701 seems to be operating fine....I know he made a complete cock-up of the Subaru conversion and did bad things financially. But I would still do a Viking conversion if I could. $US 13800 ( plus gst/freight ) is just unbeatable

• Agree 1

The flip side of buying an engine off Jan is; no warranty, the engine is used, the wiring harness is soldered together and the resale market is rubbish.

Fly tornado, obviously as a Viking owner all those point are of interest to me...I'm just wondering:

1. Do you own a viking engine and experienced warranty issues?

2. As an owner did you pull down the engine to inspect the block for metal fatigue?

3. And was your harness supplied by Jan?

• Haha 1

I can't say with 100% accuracy but we're pretty sure (almost certain) the engine is 100kg with fluids, everything ready to start.A few people owed me some favours so the shipping was free 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

I purchased my engine with the Viking view, power bus module and their grab bag so just over $18k USD.

Thanks for the information, Jmbb74.

What did the extra $USD4k buy you?

Love it or hate it...here's a link to my first start

I really like it! Well done.

Thanks for the information, Jmbb74.What did the extra $USD4k buy you?

I really like it! Well done.

Yep no prob, I purchased the following. I don't have the invoice in front of me to double check the prices.

1. Viking View engine monitor.

Simple plug and play with the engine, no stuffing around with programming. It's a GRT product re badged and pre programmed for Viking. I called GRT and spoke to them in depth prior to my purchased and in the end, my glass panel is a GRT sport SX purely because I wanted to stay within the GRT family for ease of connect-ability.

2. Viking wiring bus.

Viking no longer make this product in favour of a traditional wiring setup. I didn't want to add roughly 50hrs to the build so I opted for their bus to save time. In a future episode on my YouTube channel, I'll talk about my Motec PDM that I'm using as my 2nd power bus in the aircraft. Again I spend time on the phone with Motec Australia and these unit are bloody fantastic but very expensive.

3. The Viking Grab bag

Not a necessary purchase but I figured, get the right tools for the job. The bag has everything to finish off the job.

Hope this helps. Jamie

Yep no prob, I purchased the following. I don't have the invoice in front of me to double check the prices.1. Viking View engine monitor.

Simple plug and play with the engine, no stuffing around with programming. It's a GRT product re badged and pre programmed for Viking. I called GRT and spoke to them in depth prior to my purchased and in the end, my glass panel is a GRT sport SX purely because I wanted to stay within the GRT family for ease of connect-ability.

Hope this helps. Jamie

I have seen this on the video: a neat rectangular display with the engine parameters engraved on it and an accompanying light on the dash indicated that something is abnormal. It seems pretty fool proof to me.

One thing I like about the Viking is that you end up with an engine that any Honda mechanic can work on, if need be ...well the 'core' anyway.

• Agree 2

Oh craps, I've gone this whole thread thinking they were brand new Honda engines, didn't realise they came used from car wreckers (said respectfully).

I will say I have no trouble with that, any sub-100,000 kms engine has a very long life ahead of it, but knowing a used Fit engine is under $1000, I now revise my opinion into very good but too expensive.

• Informative 1

Oh craps, I've gone this whole thread thinking they were brand new Honda engines, didn't realise they came used from car wreckers (said respectfully).I will say I have no trouble with that, any sub-100,000 kms engine has a very long life ahead of it, but knowing a used Fit engine is under $1000, I now revise my opinion into very good but too expensive.

Jan always claims that they are "low-miles engines"

• Agree 1

Jan always claims that they are "low-miles engines"

I have no doubt they are, just get on the American car wreckers net and there's plenty of them with verifiable low milaeage.

As I said, I don't have anything against that at all, I was just figuring somewhere between 4K and 5K $USD for new engines from Honda was a large part of the price structure.

Anyway, just an opinion, at the end of the day it's the buyer who decides the value, not me.

• Agree 1

Correct, the buyer decides. Everyone has an opinion and everyone's situation is different. I made this video because there are people out there like myself (in the beginning) who are unsure about parting with their money in anything other than an experimental engine.

What I did learn during the process... Pick up the phone and talk to people, and the first call is the manufacturer. Put them through the wringer and finally ask them for client references. You'll get a much better picture and make a more informed decision for your situation.

I negotiate big $$ deals for a living and so far, I've found the engine good value for money.

I hope my journey helps others. Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 1