170 replacing 160?

Guest burbles1

Guest burbles1

Must be something about the J170 - just heard today of two flying schools who'd like to replace their 160 with a 170. Is there a big difference in performance between the two?

Yep. The J170 has a bigger wing and tail. It floats on landing where the J160 tends to settle a little quicker. The J170 seems to be a bit more sluggish when rolling into the turns. I think the J170 is better in the hot weather and less 'frisky' in turbulence. Others might have different opinions. I bought a J170 and so far have no regrets. Later J170s will have the handling mods done so will be (hopefully) even better at handling than they currently are.

J170Owner... You said the J170 was you felt better in hot weather? How hot? The J170 was found to be downright dangerous unless provided with a nice looooooong runway when one was being used for training here in Mackay. I would hate to fly one any further north in Qld and reckon they would be particularly troublesome in an area like Mount Isa in summer with its thin air and heat. The general opinion is that the handling quirks could be lived with if the aircraft had an extra 20 or more HP under the cowl. This was a rather tired J170... perhaps with a factory new engine they might be better.

Winsor, I think the 170 you refer to is the one I Learnt on in kingaroy (5229). It is certainly challenging on the hotter days, but not too bad. I spoke with the owner the other day and he told me they have a new engine ( the original going past 1200 hrs without even needing the heads overhauled) and he said it goes like a rocket now.

Interestingly, I got back from a flight out west of Cunnamulla in my 120 the other day around lunchtime, at the same time a cessna was arriving. I spoke to the pilot and he commented on how rough it was. I thought it was a bit bumpy but certainly not rough. He said he got badly thrown around all the way and that I must have had a hard time in my smaller plane. It confirmed to me what I thought about the excellent handling of the 120, so it will be interesting to see how the new 170, with some of the mods of the 120 (longer nose, additional tail area etc) will go. Having the larger wing will always make it unique but it will be interesting to see.

And J170 has MTOW 600kgs, against 540kgs for J160. Climbs heaps better - especially in hot weather - glides better on approach, but, yes, takes longer to settle with the big wing. School at Mudgee has J170 in lieu J160 and CFI says he much prefers the 170.

J160 is still excellent for general use - Ive had mine for 3 years - and is cheaper to buy.

Comment #4 - How was the J170 found to be dangerous? I know they float on landing, and any runway under 500 meters makes me nervous. Handling quirks? Seems I'm in the dark here. Perhaps the mods that have just come out address these very things. By hot I mean mid thirties, although, being a woose, I don't fly when it's rough as guts or blowing like crazy.

J170... Grainy and uncoordinated controls... very tired old motor as pointed out by another poster.... on a hot day you would be lucky to climb at 200 feet per minute... Ironically I have heard it said the 170 was designed with the bigger wing for warmer climates???!!! Seems down right crazy to me.... strange little quirks of handling... Of course all this is from a low hour perspective plus listening to more experienced pilots who flew her saying the same things... and from having since flown a Texan LSA which granted is a lot more $$$ to purchase... I guess its a case of you get what you pay for.

One other point... An instructor I know with many hours and students "under the belt"... says he has only ever sent one student on first solo in many hours of training in the J170 due to the unforgiving nature of the machine in under anything but the best conditions... I guess it depends on whether you subscribe to the "harder aeroplanes make better pilots" theory or its reverse. Personally the J170 almost caused me to give up on the lessons... I was having trouble sleeping the night before my lesson... waking up with visions of it wallowing into the trees... and I am not a nervous flyer having come from a childhood spent amongst a gliding club.

That said it is my opinion that as a private aircraft I would consider a J170 as a worthwhile investment... it seems that in private hands with a few tweaks and TLC and set up properly... and without the stress of the school environment it would be a lot of bang for the buck.

Again this is just my opinion.... my honest opinion. I certainly hope to fly some Jabiru's again in the future... I look forward to the challenge...lol