Feedback on GR582

TBC82

Just after a little bit of feedback on ALW GR582 as I have been told that they are too under powered and to stick with chasing a GR912s. As I have only flown in the GR912s I was hoping for some first hand experience in or owning a 582.

Cheers Tim.

too under powered

This is an interesting comment?!

Having done about 15 years in a GR582 before going to a GR912, I found the performances to be as different as they are the same.

The GR582 is lighter but with less power, so it notices changes of weight more.

ie; One up, a great climb, two up, a noticeable drop in climb.

A GR912 has more 'grunt' and the one up-two up climb is more similar.

Having more grunt, the GR912 can drive a coarser prop and get a better cruise speed.

Some other GR582 'pros' would be, very docile ground handling due to the undercarriage dynamics and a much lighter 'feel' overall.

The 'cons' to a GR582 would be, the noise, the vibration and the fuel consumption.

The 'pros' to the GR912 would be the smoother ride, better fuel economy and better TBO time.

The 'cons' to the GR912 would be the poor glide and noticeable stall (due to weight and balance problems) and the nasty ground handling due to the undercarriage layout (it's a long story).

If wanting to buy a Lightwing, one needs to decide what you want to do with it.

If you want to weigh up the dollars to performance to resale ideals, then the GR912 is the better plane.

But if you just want something that is a lot of fun to throw around the place, cant get in and out of smaller spaces, handle rough terrain and is generally easy to fly and land, then you want a GR582.

As for the motors themselves, a 912UL is a good motor as is (but a 912ULS is better) but if going for a Rotax 582, make sure it is oil injected and avoid running Avgas.

Arthur.

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for that informed view. As I said I have had nothing to do with the 2 stroke engines and its good to get the view of people with your experience especially for someone like me who is just starting out in this hobby. As you said there is alot of pros & cons to both 912 & the 582 but after hearing what you had to say and doing abit of research myself I am starting to lean more to the 912, simply for the bettter load carrying and looking at a comparison of cost of tbo up to 1200hr the 582 is about 8k more to maintain, this comparison also includes fuel burnt aswell & as you also said value money ie: performance, resale.

Cheers Tim

Guest Maj Millard

Tim, Arthur has many years in the sport and his words should be heeded.

I have flown Lightwings with 582s, and 532s before that. They go well with those engines as Arthur said, as the airframes are lighter. The 582 is a good reliable engine that will give a good 65 Hp most days.

I believe the foward fuselage structures were built heavier for the 912 installations on latter factory built lightwings, so make sure you don't end up with one that has been converted to a 912 from a 582, illegally.

The 912 is a great engine in the Lightwing, either 80hp or 100hp. the 100hp with the large standard wing will haul a big load with ease and get off short also. there is not a lot of difference in fuel burn between the 582 and 912 except that the 100hp 912 likes Premium and of course you have to buy oil for the 582.

I would suggest you mainly concentrate your efforts on finding a low time sound airframe as #1, you can change engines later, but if you find one with a 912 already, even better...............Cheers........... maj....

• 7 months later...

Speaking for my self I had an 582 that I did run on Avgas all the time for the better part of 11 years flying to and throw from Insfail too weipa Rocky with out a single engine fail I now own a sport Parasol but only run unleaded because I dont have the ablity to avgas but I found that the 582 ran a lot better and the EGT ran cooler never did I have a fouled plug the engine would run a lot smover and more response my lightwing would easly out climb most other 912 single up would climb @ 1000-1200 fpm two up around 600 -700 no problems I am that inpressed with the 582 that I just bought enother too start rebuilding with the help of Carlo Prete, and will be making all the upgrades too mount a four stroke engine but for now will stick with the 582 .

I am looking at the Viking engine with a bit more reseach on the new engines will see what the future holds because they are better for long haul " less mixing of fuels " :1st:

update

may not be able to use a Viking because of the rules 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

• Like 1