Old Station

Yenn

Guest Maj Millard

Well the Old Station fly-in is still a major event !!..I flew out of Shute Harbour first light on Friday morning. Plan was to pick up Windsor 68 at Mackay, but unfortunatly he had to cancel at the last moment due to work commitments. Lost my navigator in one foul swoop !.

The morning was crisp and clear with visibility well over 100 Kilometers up and down the coast. I passed over the ranges by Mackay, and set course south to the Dingo road-house, where Ian and Julie Wells with their new Savannah VG "Cab Sav" had overnighted. The three hour flight was enjoyable except that I subjected myself to zero degrees temps at 7500' for two hours, and arrived at Dingo very 'cold soaked'...what one will do for a good tailwind !!. The Sav was still on the ground at Dingo when I arrived, and after landing I had breakfast, then we prepared both aircraft for departure to the Old Station at Raglan, 89 nm to the East.

The flight to Raglan was about an hour and a quarter in company with the Sav, which I had not flown with before. (photos were taken) Arriving over the magic spot which is Old Station, we did a dual pass in company down the runway, landed on the superbly prepared site, and parked.

There were well over 40 aircraft parked on the grass at the end of Friday, and much promise for the following Saturday. I got to meet and chat with several forumites during the afternoon including Yenn, davidsee, gundy and others whose avatars escape me now (too busy chatting). It's always great to talk with the younger forumites, and I enjoy their energy and enthusiasm (much like Tomo) for aviation and aircraft generally. They are our future. Also had a couple of beers with Zane Tully the new Northern operations manager who made himself available to questions.

The superbly restored and magnificent maroon Dragon Rapide arrived on the grass strip with an expert wheel landing, and was closely followed by a fast, low pass (with smoke on) by the Yak 52 in the opposite direction down the runway, announcing it's arrival. We all retired to the new bar facilities at Old Station for more chatting away from the approaching cold of Friday night.

Saturday dawned as clear and as full of promise as the day before, with more early arrivals landing on the displaced threshold of 06. Unfortunatly it was the end of the show for me, as I had to depart back North in the Lightwing to attend my brothers' 70 th Birthday party in Townsville, many hundreds of NMs to the North,(sacrifices have to be made). I got out just in time. Whilst holding ready to take the runway several ultralights announced their arrival and entry into the 'station traffic'. There were several Savannas, a Dova Skylark, a Bantam, a Borebee and a Sting or two, no doubt from the SE Qld area. Many I recognized from seeing them in the magazine, and no doubt more forumites had arrived.

I reluctantly departed 06 and set course west to Dingo, my fuel stop prior to doing the non-stop leg to Townsville (3.45 hrs). For at least an hour after leaving Old Station all I heard on channel were more inbound arrivals to Old Station of all types. Even as I approached Dingo I chatted to an aircraft tracking from Emerald to (where else !)..Old Station!!.

Thats my report...I hope Ian Wells or someone else can now pick up and cover Saturday and Sunday at the big central Qld fly-in.

Old Station is a very special place to fly in to, so stick it on your list for the future.

Apart from being a unique spot well situated in the state, it's open to all types of aircraft and owners and is a great mix of all aviation....Thanks also to our Yenn for highliting this event, and getting us all there in such impressive numbers, to support the Central Queensland Rescue helicopter...........................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Maj,

We must'nt have missed you by much, we arived at about 11.00. It was a very good event Saturday night was great, lies & tall stories all round, the band was entertaining, food was good, the fires were most welcome. I got to meet up with heaps of people I don't know if they were of the site or not. The flight back was interesting dodging the showers, by halfway back to Gympie the showers had cleared.

Good fun all round.

Pete

ps. I wil post some photos later

Guest Maj Millard

Yes pete, I knew it would be a good weekend, and I really didn't want to leave. We'll just have to catch up at the next one, or somewhere in between. I look foward to seeing some photos I don't regret going for the short time I was there, as anytime at Old Station is great !.....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 1 year later...
So who is going?What is the accomodation like, as in where do you sleep? Tents? Do they have them or do you bring your own?

Well, if you go this year should have a good time it's a great event, bit chilly at night but fun, relaxing etc

They do have some tents, but all the accomodation is already booked out I believe. Talk to Leonie [email protected], I think that is her correct address.

It is not so cold at the May 25-26 spot as it used to be at the June weekend we used to use.

It should be a good weekend and as we are having our rain now we look forward to it being drier than last year. See you there hopefully.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

I'm planning on being there with the usual tagalongs from up this way, you know Savvys, jabs, the usual trash that follows me around when I want to go to a quiet fly-in .........................................Maj...004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

They do have some tents, but all the accomodation is already booked out I believe. Talk to Leonie [email protected], I think that is her correct address.It is not so cold at the May 25-26 spot as it used to be at the June weekend we used to use.

It should be a good weekend and as we are having our rain now we look forward to it being drier than last year. See you there hopefully.

Have you practicing with the chainsaw? No chance of getting Reg and Gundy on the crosscut saw again though.

Nothing is missed Biggles, it is still coming up in a couple of month. Happens regularly.

Sorry rdarby didn't mean to reply on your post.... Big thumbs on a little iPhone. I meant would love to go but have an in changeable plan that weekend, either side of that would be fine...

I'm planning on being there with the usual tagalongs from up this way, you know Savvys, jabs, the usual trash that follows me around when I want to go to a quiet fly-in .........................................Maj...004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Hi Maj, see you there. Got to keep the numbers up for the Lightwing badge hey!

I think Doug Evans will be there in his 'old new' machine 032 also.

Cheers Davo:clap:

• Like 1

Hi Maj, see you there. Got to keep the numbers up for the Lightwing badge hey!I think Doug Evans will be there in his 'old new' machine 032 also.

Cheers Davo:clap:

Dougs post came in while I was writing mine.025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

No worries Biggles, I thought it was because I used an old thread from long ago :)

I know what you mean about missing these things though, it seems like you have to be dissapaointd by not going for several years before you actually make it to a fly in, at least thats how it works for me! It's the time to do it all! And the cost :(

No worries Biggles, I thought it was because I used an old thread from long ago :)I know what you mean about missing these things though, it seems like you have to be dissapaointd by not going for several years before you actually make it to a fly in, at least thats how it works for me! It's the time to do it all! And the cost :(

I flew in there years ago back in a time forgotten era... you know GA, great event.003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Don't feel bad Pete, I once drove down from Townsville. It was time to take the wife and kid to Old Station for some fun, instead of just me in the Drifter, as in prev years.

Off about 5 Friday, but about two hours out did the alternator in the ute, but somehow made it into a small town and motel for the night on very dim headlights.

Next morning (three day holiday weekend mind you !) managed to dig up new alternator. By noon Saturday I've done the swap and we are ready to roll again. I said to the missus were half way, we can go home, or to Old Station ...she said Old Station !..

We arrived there about 6pm after the camping area had been closed off, but one of the organisers recognized me from past years, jumped on my running board, and got us through the crowd into camping past the stage where the band was setting up for the nights' festivities.

As always a great show put on by very friendly people. Well worth the effort, however you may get there !!......................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Here is the flyer, hot off the press. Sundays meeting has been delayed due to the bad state of the road into old station. I could get there by plane no worries, but the drivers are not so lucky. the bridge which we put in a couple of years ago, got washed downstream in the after effects of Oswald, but should be back, better than ever now.333568539_OldStationreduced.jpg.6b1bc54ff0925ec7113cb3ecbfa74b78.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Good show Yenn...great poster also.....my older brother may come this year to look at the trucks and tractors.............................................Maj...011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif