Old Station

Yenn

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Nothing to do with Grant kenny, and not Avoid Is either.!!..................................Maj....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Anyway we all arrived at Old Station after a pleasant one hours' flight from Dingo, and settled into the busy pattern for a landing on 24, as a good Nor Wester was blowing. Ian Wells who landed first in 'Cab Sav', warned of turbulance between the trees on the long, long, runway but we all landed without incident, and taxied towards parking. There were already a good number of aircraft parked for a Friday.

Familiar faces were there such as Yenn and his better half, and Lightwing owner David See acting as ground traffic controller, plus Rob Purvan and father with his Jab 268 (8cyl Jab).

We pitched tents and readied ourselves for the Friday evening meet and greet, and nicely provided meal and desert in the new eating and bar building at Old Station. A Yak anounced it's late arrival with a low smokey run down the runway, and parked next to the T-28 Trojan and 7/8th scale Chev V8 powered Spitfire.

Saturday morning dawned clear, and the wind went back to favoring the normal 06. The aircraft parking area rapidly filled with constant arrivals of all types all morning, including a large Yellow Murphy Moose, around eight Savannas of all colors including our own JG from kilcoy (finally got to meet you JG !) plus Gunby and Bill the instructor from Cabulture. I met and had the pleasure of chatting with many other forumites throughout the weekend also. I scored a nice ride in the Super Petrel, and treated myself to the best ride on site in the T-28 Trojan, which included a glorous 5 minutes of stick time up the highway at 1200 Ft. Big machine-big pleasure !!...

We all departed Old Station around noon on Sunday, and landed at Emu park where we walked to town to pick up supplies for our overnighter at a secret Island up the coast. Once again tailwinds all the way. After locating and landing at our secret overnighter, a strange blue and white helicopter appeared overhead....police, neighbor ...who ??? The chopper made a cautous approach and landing and out hopped ..Dick Smith !!!! what an unexpected surprise, and one that just capped what most agreed, was the perfect weekend. Dick had a look around and joined us for photos, and then departed to the north to continue his re-enactment of the first leg of his round the world helicopter flight 30 years ago. We all settled in for another supurb evening at our secret beach-side location to watch the spectactular full moon rise out of the ocean.....Ah the joy of it all !..................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

1820641733_Oldstation2013071.jpg.6c864a85d888cbe44a03a52c0ac90b75.jpg

2037006330_Oldstation2013082.jpg.4ef947252d5e270b0e4ce31ddace8e0c.jpg

575299738_Oldstation2013083.jpg.3ebb7b802f75e2275548be1ed1ee3850.jpg

1822374862_Oldstation2013093.jpg.bbe2225709eabf7aac37f25126315cb3.jpg

581048208_Oldstation2013095.jpg.fd8877cc35dde8fbe94e3384c98d629b.jpg

hehe your post has done little to alleviate my curiosity major! But the photos of old station look like they have a top shelf facility.. hopefully i can attend next year

Guest Maj Millard

Yes the new dining/bar hall, with attached accomodation units, and the new adjacent modern shower and toilet block was built because the Kontiki buses come to old station now once a week, for a 'farmstay experience. This provides another source of income no doubt for Leonie and her hard working crew. It is great that these facilities are also available for the fly-in. In fact as good as the Natfly facilities are at Temora I would rate Old Stations as better. The older original dining/bar facilities at old Station are still there, and used on the Saturday night, and give the original 'sit round the big fire' experience that many will recall from the Old station fly-ins of years past, plus of course that 'dynamite' surprise that is all part of the real Old Station experience.. It is a just a magic site for a fly-in, being centrally located in the state, for easy flight time from either West, North or SE corner.....see ya there next year !!.............................................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

What a great weekend it turned out to be. I have just been through my photos and by my count 81 aircraft attended, which included the helis and gyros. Strange that we had no trikes this year.

Certainly a great weekend at Old Station again this year. Glad to catch up with so many forumites this year and eventually catch up with Maj. The Whitsunday Group had tailwinds on the way home but I was not so fortunate. Departed Old Station for my strip south of MYB Sunday afternoon with 10kts on the nose and from there to DUN on Monday morning it was worse pushing into a 20kt South Easterly and dodging around some showers near Moreton Is.

Ah yes it's all great fun and will I be there next year ? YOU BETCHA I WILL !!! 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif 027_buddies.gif.22de48aac5a25c8f7b0f586db41ef93a.gif 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

No problems flying into Old Station as they are very aviation minded. It would be courtest to give them a ring beforehand and esential if you want overnight accomodation.

Leonie 0749346562 and if you want Avgas Ron 0408346536

• 2 weeks later...