Glider attracts eagles in flight

Guest aussie carl

Thought I reconised that Hat.

That's Lewls. Lewls was telling me the other day about the eagles at Grafton.

Lewls has also started his powered RAA training with Stew at South Grafton.

Lewls was telling me the Eagles will fly at the wing tip of the glider and look across at him. He reckons it os SOOOO cool.

Attached is a cropped picke I took of one of many eagles in the Grafton area only 3 weeks ago at 2000ft and about 120knts. From the "Sting" (That happened pretty quickly)

2081624025_IMG_1135800.jpg.27987471a9f5124b713ee5021032608d.jpg

Many years back, I had three parallel scratches across a Blanik canopy when a Wedgie took umbrage at me trying to share his thermal with him over the Strathbogies in Victoria.

kaz

To soar with the eagles is like flying with God

Enjoy and marvel at how they do it without having to build a plane

That is the beauty of flying

• 3 months later...

A few summers ago, I was flying a Mosquito from Corryong back to Benalla. The day was rapidly cooling, the thermals diminishing, and I had been back to the same thermal 4 times. As I climbed out at around 200 Fpm, I caught a flash of brown coming at me out of the sun, and heard a large bang in the rear of the glider. I headed out over the valley, and pulled some G to see if anything was falling off. felt Ok.

I landed in one of the paddocks below, and looked around the aircraft. Under the Right hand wing, I found Blood traces, and 3 Talon marks in the leading edge. I think my assailant was a wedge tail eagle I had spotted some time before. I have thought of him defending his territory since, with some feeling of guilt.

Terry

A few summers ago, I was flying a Mosquito from Corryong back to Benalla. The day was rapidly cooling, the thermals diminishing, and I had been back to the same thermal 4 times. As I climbed out at around 200 Fpm, I caught a flash of brown coming at me out of the sun, and heard a large bang in the rear of the glider. I headed out over the valley, and pulled some G to see if anything was falling off. felt Ok.I landed in one of the paddocks below, and looked around the aircraft. Under the Right hand wing, I found Blood traces, and 3 Talon marks in the leading edge. I think my assailant was a wedge tail eagle I had spotted some time before. I have thought of him defending his territory since, with some feeling of guilt.

Terry

Scary. I've had two close calls (i.e. centimeters). I definitely do not want to kill an eagle - or be killed by one!

I think the highest I've seen an eagle is about 9000' QNH. How high can they go?

Scary. I've had two close calls (i.e. centimeters). I definitely do not want to kill an eagle - or be killed by one!I think the highest I've seen an eagle is about 9000' QNH. How high can they go?

I have seen them over Kosciousko at around 10,000, They tend to like strong lift, either thermal or ridge

Tery

Guest rocketdriver
A few summers ago, I was flying a Mosquito from Corryong back to Benalla. The day was rapidly cooling, the thermals diminishing, and I had been back to the same thermal 4 times. As I climbed out at around 200 Fpm, I caught a flash of brown coming at me out of the sun, and heard a large bang in the rear of the glider. I headed out over the valley, and pulled some G to see if anything was falling off. felt Ok.I landed in one of the paddocks below, and looked around the aircraft. Under the Right hand wing, I found Blood traces, and 3 Talon marks in the leading edge. I think my assailant was a wedge tail eagle I had spotted some time before. I have thought of him defending his territory since, with some feeling of guilt.

Terry

Hi Terry ... I think I remember that day! I think I was in a paddock about 5km away at the time, waiting for an aerotow retrieve .... more than a few summers ago now methinks!! LOL

Cheers

RD

I have seen them over Kosciousko at around 10,000, They tend to like strong lift, either thermal or ridgeTery

That sounds about right. I'm sure that no law abiding eagle would go higher than 10000' without being on oxygen. 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

Guest rocketdriver
That sounds about right. I'm sure that no law abiding eagle would go higher than 10000' without being on oxygen. 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

whether feathered or not! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Good Memories.We flew gliders in NZ south Island to 24,000 feet on Oxygen. Hard to fit an Oxygen mask on an Eagle.

NZ, that's the place! WRT the oxygen mask on an eagle I'm sure that its a problem that could be solved with some silicone glue and a couple of wraps of Duck Tape.